X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt. Etna leaf comparisons

Took some photos of my Mt. Etna varieties this morning for leaf comparison.

Hardy Chicago
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20150711_062852.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	27686

Takoma Violet

Name:	20150711_062913.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	587.8 KB
ID:	27687

Sal's GS

Name:	20150711_063114.jpg
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	27688

MBvs

Name:	20150711_063218.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	609.7 KB
ID:	27689
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Kelby,
    Thanks for sharing the photos and starting this topic.

IMO, the only "Varieties" that should be called Mount Etna are Hardy Chicago and Sals GS (Gene) since they were the only two that have also been confused with Bensonhurst Purple and have allegedly been traced back to Mount Etna, Italy.

Marseilles Black VS may be considered Mount Etna "Type" due to having some characteristics, thick leaves and hardy, but the mature leaf shapes and fruit ripening times are very different, the same may apply to Takoma Violet, but I don't have one for a better comparison.

Added photos of 5 different Mt. Etna Types "found" in The Bronx, NYC and Hardy Chicago

Name:	IMG_5545.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	27716 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5548.jpg
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	27717 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5555.jpg
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	27718

Name:	IMG_5551.jpg
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	27719 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5553.jpg
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	27720 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5528.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	27721
    Last edited by AscPete; 07-11-2015, 09:58 AM. Reason: Typos and added photos...
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      I meant for these to be considered of the "type", not implying they are all Mt Etna/Bensonhurst Purple/Mongibello or what have you. Tony/MountainFigs has written pretty extensively on that topic, but if you ask 10 people and you get 10 different lists, haha. For what it's worth, herman2 listed those 4 as well as Gino's and Black Portuguese as Mt Etna types. I don't have those for comparison, though.

Regardless, I like posting pictures of things. They are worth 1,000 words, after all!

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      I've found dozens of the " Mount Etna Types" in The Bronx and that's how I've sometimes referred to them.

I've added photos of a few of these cultivars to this post.

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your photos, Pete. I was sharing photos of my plants leaves to show the similarities since there is often discussion of the Mt Etna leaf shape. You and many others have found many unknown types with similar characteristics.

You're welcome.

BTW, IMO, the Mount Etna types make up ~40% of the fig trees growing in The Bronx, NYC. All the Mount Etna types have similar flavor profile and can be grouped as Dark Berry Flavor.
    The list should also include Papa John and the attached (photo) Belleclaire Chios-C, Aboukonis Black.

Name:	IMG_5557.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	27797
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Pete your MBVS will develop the characteristic thumbs when it picks up growth speed. No doubt it is an Etna. Black Greek was doing the same thing with me, this year the trees in ground have well developed thumbs. Have a look at the pics on the variety page of MBVS, my plant originated from VS. MBVS, Gino's, and Sal's have taken turns fruiting first in the last 3 years, the only differences in ripening time are caused by plant condition.

Comment

Many different names, a single type? An interesting puzzle. Mt Etna type fig trees and fruits are darn good all around: bountiful and beautiful, tasty and reliable, robust and maybe the easiest of all types to grow and fruit. 19 differently named:
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 19 photos.
        Tony WV 6b
        https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Those 19 in order of appearance:

Hardy Chicago, Keddie, Mount Etna Unknown, Malta Black, Maryland Berry, Salem Dark, Marseilles Black, Rossi Dark, Natalina, Sal's, Takoma Violet, Spanish Unknown, Bari, Black Bethlehem, Black Greek, Gino's Black, Dark Portuguese, Ginoso, Zingarella.

Some of these may be controversial as Mt Etna types, Malta Black in particular, but the matter should sort itself out before long as more information comes in.

As has been frequently noted, there are many other named Mt Etna figs beyond those photoed here.
          Tony WV 6b
          https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Kelby's post in regards to Mt Etna type leaf comparisons got me looking at my Hardy Chicago trees.
            I have a few HCs in the garden (are they really HCs?), and two are bearing figs at this time.
            The first two pics are from the largest of my trees with about 50+ figs on it.
            The second photo is the same tree from a different angle showing the typical leaf on the tree.
            The third photo is another HC bearing figs but it has a totally different leaf pattern.
            For me the variability of leaves on a single variety can lead to confusion in identification especially when fruit and ripening dates are close to other cultivars.
            Now take nearly 20 or more varieties/cultivars which are similar and trying to put labels on them will be quite the challenge.
            Tony's posting of 19 varieties is interesting. To my untrained eye Letizia might also fall into the group.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
            John Z5 Wish list:

Comment

Working...
            X