X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planera MP

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....ection-6200610
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    Rafael
    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Thanks for sharing the photos and link. It looks delicious.

How did it taste?
    Is that a main crop or breba?
    Is there any additional info that you can share? Like the amount of time to ripen and growing habits.
    Thanks.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Pete

That was main crop. I am not sure I can reproduce Mr. Pons' book here legally, so I will just make a few translations from the Spanish version of Mr. Pons' book "Figs from Balearic Islands." This cultivar is Unifera, figs are described as sweet and juicy, deep red pulp, first ripening date is August 6 through early October, thin skin, small internal cavity, small ostiole, strong grower and producer of fruit, mother tree is at sa Maimona, Pons' tree is at Son Mut Nou, Llucmajor, leaf characteristics mostly 3-lobed, occasional single lobe and five-lobed, serrated leaves. Notable for early main crop harvest.
      Rafael
      Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Thanks for the additional info.
        I doubt that he would object to us discussing and linking to the same information that he gave permission to share...

A new entry (Topic) has been added to the Varieties List database, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/variety...947-planera-mp with credits and links to the original discussions.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
          Rafaelissimmo commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Pete.

Pete, I should add that my comments on the flavor are that it was rich, and almost earthy. Don't know how true to type since it is a single, first year fruit. Will update profile next season.
        Rafael
        Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Looking forward to hearing more about this cultivar.

Pete is so noble! I'm looking forward to someone sending me a plant
        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

WOOOW Rafael, that looks amazing!!!!
          I would love to get some cuttings of that babe form you this fall. Will trade for De la reina (MP) cuttings if ur interested. Let me know!

Congrats on that fig!
          Jerry - Zone 6B -Westchester, NY
          2015 Wish List: Longue d'Aout, CdD.Gris, Nero 600, Florea, Italian 258, Galicia Negra.

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
            Rafaelissimmo commented
            Editing a comment
            I would rather trade airlayers next season if you remember!

• philos
            philos commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds amazing! I will definitely have a number of them to trade. I will contact you!

Got another Planera to ripen, this one split badly but had more of the characteritic blush noted in Pons' photos. I again noticed an "earthy" flavor in this fig.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
          Last edited by Rafaelissimmo; 09-29-2015, 08:10 AM.
          Rafael
          Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Just for comparison, here is a photo of a fruit I picked last month. I don't recall much about it now but these are the comments I had posted on my Figaholics Facebook page:

Planera is another Spanish variety with a ripe fruit for the first time. The reference book for this fig shows a fruit with a darker pulp and describes it as sweet and juicy. This is a fitting description but our fruit's size is larger than the 38 grams in this book. Our tree is pretty good size and it's been somewhat slow to fruit for us considering it's size.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
            My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

2016 Main Crop Planera. Late this year because I had the plant partially shaded for much of the summer. No cavity, tight eye. A good fig. Coloration looks right too. Still detecting an earthy undertone flavorwise. Crunchy/seedy as well.
              Last edited by Rafaelissimmo; 09-17-2016, 09:32 AM.
              Rafael
              Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• Jamie0507
                Jamie0507 commented
                Editing a comment
                Rafael it looks delicious.. You have a wonderful talent in describing figs, their taste, texture, ripening times, coloration, skin, type of eye.. Basically the whole sha-bang lol! πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ I hope to develop mine better in time, and your descriptions give me something to strive for! πŸ˜‰

• Rafaelissimmo
                Rafaelissimmo commented
                Editing a comment
                Jamie I just absorb what terms I hear coming from other collectors and apply my good judgment in delivering an honest appraisal. I'm no sommelier, but some figs jump up and scream a different flavor at you. Preto is like that, so is this one. Notice I did not call this fig delicious. I am still witholding that kind of praise!

I'm liking this fig more and more. Really nice interior.
              Rafael
              Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• BrooklynMatty
                BrooklynMatty commented
                Editing a comment
                Gorgeous Rafael, your reviews on this make this one of my few wishlist. Beautiful fig.

Awe somebody has my unicorn. Always wishing and hoping.

Comment

Working...
              X