X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name This Fig -- Variety from Maui

I just returned from Maui and was fortunate enough to collect cutting from this Maui fig tree growing on the island. It is surviving without any special care. Can anyone help in naming its variety?

The taste of the fig was delicious (very sweet) and there was a drop of honey at the end of it (open eye?) when I picked it from the tree.

I have no idea of what I have here (novice fig owner) but I will attempt to root the cuttings and will probably send a couple of cuttings to a more expert grower so that it is not lost if I fail in rooting.

Can anyone help in determining the variety of fig? Even if it is a common variety like Brown Turkey or a Celeste, its delicious taste will be make it my Maui Common Fig!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.

I volunteer to root some cuttings but I can't tell you what it is.
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

What part of Maui did you find this gem. I'm going back in Feb and would like to look it up.
      Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

Dave, it is on private property. I can ask the owner. She is a very sweet person but I do not know if she wants to share with every visitor to the island. Keep in touch with me when it is closer to the time you leave and I will ask.

Bob, PawPawBill from the other forum is going to help me. He lives in the next city over from me so we are going to make this a joint local project. Wish us luck.
        Last edited by FigMomFL; 07-11-2015, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Hello there, you can put English Brown Turkey on the short list of possibilities.

Comment

Working...
          X