X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So close...

First ripening figs in my collection: Ronde de Bordeaux.

Fruit swell: check
    Color change: check
    Fruit softening: check
    Droop: so close, but not yet

Hope these are good. It's just a first year tree, so I may get mediocre fruit. I'm still looking forward to tasting these.

Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

I've read a lot of great things about RDB, I sure hope all works out for you Johnny.

By the way, how are the Pineberries?
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• jkuo
      jkuo commented
      Editing a comment
      The pineberries you sent are still growing well. The ones I had from last year set tons of flowers but set almost no fruit. I'm thinking those aren't self-fertile, so I might rip half of them out and interplant them with some other varieties and hope for better fruit set next season.

Better get yourself a bird-net... they can sense when the figs are perfectly, delectably ripe

Comment

• newnandawg
      newnandawg commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto on the bird net. They are wearing my RdB out. We have eaten
      only two and the birds 20 at least. I have tried the organza bags and plastic
      cups and they are to smart for those. Bird nets went on today

Good for you for waiting. Even a day makes a big difference in flavor. If the pith or "meat" is opaque white then you picked it too early and are missing most of the flavor. Protect it from critters!
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Picked the first RdB today. Maybe I could left it another day, but it was pretty good as is. I thought it was pretty tasty. If it gets better than this as it matures, then this is definitely a keeper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4010.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	28629
      Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4012.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	28630
      Johnny

Comment

Looks great, Johnny. I air layered my RdB last year and put it in a SIP. It has over 35 figs on it this year. I hope they all make it.
        Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

From an air layer to 35+ figs is impressive! I'm only expecting 6 RdB figs between my two 1st year trees. The thought of having 35+ coming makes my mouth water.
          Johnny

Comment

Working...
          X