X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As ugly as sin, but.... Smith

I harvested my first dead-ripe Smith fig today. As ugly as everyone says they are (sorry...no pics... but believe me..uuuuugggggglllyyyy).

But what a rich, multidimensional and utterly fantastic eating fig. If you live in the South, you really, really need one of these. Really.
    Last edited by Gina; 07-22-2015, 09:12 PM. Reason: Add 'Smith' to the title of the thread

None of us believe you without pictures.
    Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• Taverna78
      Taverna78 commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay funny man... What with pink horse?? You lose bet?

• Hershell
      Hershell commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok Fabio. A little understanding here would be nice. Where is Dirt Disaster when I need a little help?

• Darkman
      Darkman commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm scared of Wills!!!!!!!!

I need one of those.....
    sounds ugly

Doug

Comment

You know, I have exactly one spot to put a fig in the ground rather than containers as I have all the rest. I have some Smiths going this year, was thinking of putting one of those in that one spot.

But seeing more pictures of dead-ripe, dead-ugly Smiths would help tip the scales!
      Sarah
      Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Even mother pit bull love her baby😱
        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I believe you. This is the best fig in my collection. They aren't so ugly up north though.
          Rafael
          Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

I just put a smith cutting in to root. Here's hoping!
            Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

Comment

This weekend there was a sample of the Smith fig and I happened to taste it. In my humble opinion it was the best fig that I have ever tasted! May not have a beautiful French , Italian, Portuguese, Greek or Turkish name but it was awesome in flavor. In the ground it goes.
              Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Wait taste Bi39... Is Tis much better. Taste fruit while you read story again... Is heaven

Comment

• Whiterk
                  Whiterk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh how I wish I could sample a Bi39. Maybe one day. Mike you can send me a few and a tree then I will let you know which taste better. 😊

Amico.. Fruit tastes much belle than the actual tree πŸ˜‚

Comment

The Bi39 is coming right along... she's in a pot right now -- I want to give her a year to toughen up and get some good roots and growth before we put her in the ground at my school -- I usually can't go by there in the summer so its a "survival of the fittest" sort of thing -- my students and I are really, really looking forward to seeing her grow. Thank you so very, very much!

About the pics. An IPhone, a 49 year old man, and an 8' skateboard ramp sometimes don't play well together -- forgot it was in my pocket and ... well.... "lifeproof" does not apparently relate to "mylifeproof"

Did receive a weird, backhanded complement from a 20ish "kid" though -- "Dude - for an old fat guy you are really, really good! I mean you kick ***ing ***". Uh, Ok. Wife laughed at me on the way home -- told me I was playing it cool and all the time she knew I wouldnt be able to get out of bed the next day ... she was 90% correct -- did manage to wake at 7am to do a little "Starling Sniping" for the bastiges eating my figs...

Comment

• Taverna78
                    Taverna78 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ciaooooo! How you and children?!! I am very happy you make roots and she growing for you! Congratulations!

Anyone considering a Smith, please give it a chance. Ive got room in my yard for 3-4 more in-grounders and one is going to my Smith once I make some backup cuttings...

Comment

Does it do well in containers in colder zones (5/6)?
                    Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Don, I am growing it in a container in Colorado. It may be next year before I get to taste it here. I'm hoping I can plan a trip to Texas to coincide with ripening Smith I have growing in there in the ground.
                      Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
                      N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

It tastes good and looks ugly in zone 6 here in KC. But at least in my pot its first figs at 2-3 years old in a very cool summer were not as spectacular in flavor as described by others above. Hopefully I'll get to try it this year when there's been plenty of heat to ripen it.
                        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Here is a ripe Smith I picked today.

Jennings, Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a

Comment

• Chrisk
                            Chrisk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Now that s what I call outstanding.congrats Wisner ,beautiful Smith.

• Wisner
                            Wisner commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks, Chrisk.

• growcrazie
                            growcrazie commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Not ugly

Great looking fig. How did it taste?
                          Pine Prairie, LA 8B

Comment

Jerry, it tasted real good. It's one of the best tasting figs I've eaten.

Comment

Is anyone growing both Smith and Texas BA-1?
                              Member King Fig (Dan A.) has posted on his blog that both cultivars are the same....

Also could you please post some photo of Smith and or Texas BA-1 leaves? Thanks.
                              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Hey y' all. Nice topic. At the LSU fig day everyone was level on the Smith. Best tasting if it's ripe enough. I wouldn't call it ugly. It looks like an unripe green fig so you have to check for softness when it's time to pick. Flavor is just outstanding figgy and with a nice thick almost honey like texture and with a taste that lingers in your mouth and your brain even after you eat twenty other various figs back to back. The next close seconds were Hunt and Champane. I also found a perfectly ripe Chicago Hardy that made our eyes roll ( I split every fig with Mrs K ). I don't know if the spelling is correct but Russo's Italian ukn by Terry was another knockout fig. Right up there with the Smith if not better only larger and darker . Thanks for sharing those wonderful figs Terry. Any cuttings this fall?

Comment

I have a beautiful smith tree. Second year and it's 5' tall. Not a fig on it. I think it was over fertilized. It's in a rich garden spot that I thought would be a good spot for a tree. Guess I was right.
                                  Last edited by jerrybrother83; 07-16-2015, 08:41 PM.
                                  Pine Prairie, LA 8B

Comment

My Smith only started setting figlets a week or so ago. I'm still months away from tasting a Smith fig, and some of you all already have ripe ones!
                                    Johnny
                                    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

Pete, here is a Smith leaf.

Comment

• AscPete
                                        AscPete commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Thanks for sharing the leaf photo. It looks similar to my Texas BA-1 EL.

I purchased two this year. Potted them, same soil, same pot types, babied them both. One is doing fine, the other is dead as a hammer.

Comment

Here's a photo of the Texas BA-1 EL leaves...

Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                                          Rafaelissimmo commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Pete first pic is Texas BA-1, second pic is Smith.
                                      Working...
                                      X