X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temptation

It's so hard to resist picking my first fig. Hopefully not much longer.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Calderona, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Izbat an Naj, Blava Campenera, Makedonia Dark, Souadi, LSU Jack Lily, Violet Sepor

Looks delicious Don. ... patience will be rewarded. ... unless the birds get it.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• don_sanders
      don_sanders commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, don't say that. I've been watching this one lonely fig for four months. The tree did finally put out for more a few weeks ago that I hope have time to ripen.

• COGardener
      COGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      I know sorry. ..

I had a cold snap come through last week, was in the mid 50's when we are normally in the 90's it caused my HC to abort all of the near ripe fruit. Thankfully there is still some on it.

Pick now put in brown lunch Bag till ripe. You will eat as perfect. No birds
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• don_sanders
      don_sanders commented
      Editing a comment
      Do figs continue to ripen once picked? I thought they had to ripen on the tree.

Put a little plastic clamshell cover over it right on the tree, the containers like berries come in from the grocery store.
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Figs do not ripen much if at all once picked... even when exposed to ethylene gas (per a UC Davis study)
      Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
      N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

They always have for me.. Maybe just my mind making look riper but sure do look Tis way for me. Put drop olive oil on the eye with finger. Will be ready by latest tomorrow morning.
        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

pick iiiiit! Lol! Nice fig Don, I bet it tastes delicious !

Comment

Protect it from critters because there's nothing in the world like a fully ripe fig. Even 1 day early and it doesn't have the depth of flavor it should have. The last day or so is what makes the difference between vaguely sweet and stunning. If you use an artificial ripening method - whether hormonal or olive oil - you'll never get the full flavor.
            Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

I put a berry container around it like eboone suggested. The animals have left it alone so far but I've got tons of birds, squirrels, raccoons, and chipmunks around. The birds picked 80% of my 12' Juneberry bush as soon as the berries turned red and most of the rest right as they ripened. I only got a cup and a half off of it, lol.

It feels pretty squishy right now...not spongy. I don't know what kind of fig it is so I don't know what color it should be when ready. It did start changing this color about 5-6 days ago and started to droop a day or two after that. I'm thinking I might give it another day or so.

I do wonder if moisture will be an issue in the container with all of the rain and humidity we have been having here lately.

I'll wait to try the oil and bag methods next year when I have some more figs to play with.

Thanks guys.
              Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Calderona, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Izbat an Naj, Blava Campenera, Makedonia Dark, Souadi, LSU Jack Lily, Violet Sepor

Comment

Show us a photo and we might be able to help. It should be completely limp and the stem dried up. If it rains after the fig swells the fig may be watery. Once the fig swells I cover the soil and the fig so if it rains the fig won't absorb as much water. If the fig has already been exposed to a lot of water I try to leave it on the tree as long as possible so the water can slowly evaporate. Pull it before it molds if that's an issue for you.
                Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

It looked like it was ready so I went ahead and pulled it. Here is a followup post with pictures:

http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...t-is-first-one

Comment

Well done.

Comment

Working...
                    X