X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first unknown from Santa Rosa

Now that Pete has so generously given me some instructions on posting anad sizing photos I'll begin this

A few years ago I was told of these two trees, located in the heart of Santa Rosa, Ca. very close to the original home of Luther Burbank. Knowing he had an orchard close to his house and given the age of these trees...I'm researching the orchard and locations of the trees to see if they were a part of that orchard...the size is about right. All roads have been built long after the orchard was producing and the creek which used to run right next to the trees has now been redirected to a large culvert under the street...stressing the trees. Both trees subsist on little or no water and this year with the drought in full tilt mode one of the trees is seriously hurting. Last year, with the owners permission, I pruned the two trees (which hadn't been pruned in I'm guessing 25-35 years) saved the prunings and started a massive rooting campaign to resurect the trees and supply started trees to the local neighborhood which had been eating the figs for...many...years...and had become somewhat addicted. I know Latarolla trees and I'm putting on my guesssing hat on...Latorolla...or Italian Honey. Here are the pictures from last years breba crop......I'll provide a quarter in this years pics.

and again, my thanks to Pete for the pic primer

and the taste...smooth sweet with a slight nutty flavor...a few seeds...all in all..the same as most Latorollas I've had
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 7 photos.
    Last edited by rusty hooks; 07-14-2015, 12:50 AM.
    Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Very nice of you to bring figs to the people! Ross, those look tasty. How do they compare to other honey figs in your collection?
    Sarah
    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• rusty hooks
      rusty hooks commented
      Editing a comment
      Bigger, sweeter...drippier...honey is putting it mildly...the other honey figs I have are cuttings coming...although this years first brunswick was pretty good....I have pictures of that as well...resizing now....

Pete has released a monster

Ross,
    Nice photos, glad I could help with the resizing....

The figs and leaves do look like the Italian Honey types, but Lattarulla or Lattarula is the correct spelling of the name.
    The Lattarola (with an O) is another cultivar that is similar to a large Conadria (leaves and figs). Good Luck.
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

That is a very special story and such nice figs! It's always exciting to find an unknown white fig ! Most unknowns here in the SE are Celeste of some short. Congrats on your effort to save and distribute the trees to the area and best of luck! Keep us posted on the story! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
      X