X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't stop laughing!!

I talk with my friend about pest control in my garden and on trees and he suggest me Tis. As I wonder how well they would protect my trees I can not stop laughing!! Watch until the very end.

http://youtu.be/0aSCPmabRpM
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

That is pretty funny Mike, and further proof that many people have way, way to much free time on their hands.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Tis true BUT thoughts on having them in the garden for pest control?

Comment

I have them, can't imagine not having them. Along with an army of Lady Bird Beatles, predatory wasps and spiders. I use nature to fight nature.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

We've been finding young mantids in the yard for the past several weeks. They get transferred to the fig trees.
          Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
          N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

Maybe I get some then. The on Ebay for sale but I think as pet? Very weird looking yet belle bugs!

Comment

Haha, great video. I've always heard they were beneficial insects. We have them but I've never seen more than one every few years.
              Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Very funny, Mike. I had a mantis guarding my from door for 3 days last fall. I'll try to upload a picture if I can find it.

My local hydroponic store has beneficials, i might see if they have mantis and deploy them in my yard.

It can't hurt, might help.
                Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Yes I too want to find some. Maybe I get some big ones to take care of rabbit too!

Comment

A mama mantis laid eggs last year and now I have about 1" long on each fig tree .
                    Very interesting creatures!
                    Too bad they do not eat the stupid squirrels!
                    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

One of the problems with mantids is they are very territorial and cannibalistic. If there are too many in one area, they will move on or get eaten. I've ready ladybugs are a much more effective form of pest control (unfortunately, they don't eat squirrels, either).

As a side note: For a few years now, I've been asking Barbra (without success) to get me access to a lab where I can use facilitated evolution to produce dragonflies with 3' wing spans. They would eat the squirrels.
                      Biologists have grown super-size dragonflies that are 15 percent larger than normal by raising the insects, from start to finish, in chambers emulating Earth’s oxygen conditions 300 million years ago. The research, presented Nov. 1 at the Geological Society of America’s annual meeting in Denver, Colorado, provides more support to the idea that big ancient…
                      Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
                      N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

• COGardener
                        COGardener commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Just need to get some DNA from a Meganeura and clone it in a high O2 environment... heck if they can do it with dinosaurs..... LOL

Know wing span up 25.6"!!!!!

Ahahah ahah !!!!!

Comment

I'd buy ladybugs before praying mantises. They're a lot less alarming when one lands on your arm. Plus it's easier to maintain a high population of them, since they will eat one another when crowded, as Bijan said.

Praying mantises always gave me the heebie jeebies when I saw them on a nature documentary. Thankfully, a split second later, a chameleon nabs it in the face and whisks it away!

Sarah
                        Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Working...
                        X