X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Nero 600m

Got myself a Nero 600m from a very generous member of Rafeds Fig group last month on the 24th as a welcome back gift. It arrived in great condition. The tree came wrapped in some sort of fabric. I didn't know if it was bio degradable so I removed it, which was tough due to the roots.

I potted it in some Promix Hp mixed with vermiculite, bone meal, worm casting, Iron tone, and some mycorrhizae. I have it sitting in shade until I notice it perk up and start to grow. Now it's in full sun putting out new growth. I don't know why the leaves are curling.

I'm feeding it diluted MG which maybe at this point I can set up the dose.

The fist two pictures are from last month. The last is today.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
    Everyone should have a green thumb

Nice plant! I had been wanting this particular variety and finally got on, this week! -have not received it. Looking forward to growing it.

Best of wishes with your. So far, it looks amazing for one months grow.
    Jerry - Zone 6B -Westchester, NY
    2015 Wish List: Longue d'Aout, CdD.Gris, Nero 600, Florea, Italian 258, Galicia Negra.

Comment

Did you go right from full shade to full sun or did you move it slowly over a period of time?

It might be that it was exposed to drastically to full sun but it looks healthy.

Maybe put it in a place that gets a mix of sun/shade for a week or two and then move it back to full sun.
      Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

I moved it slowly. It sat in a spot on that patio that got early morning sun and late evening sun. So it spend most on the days in shade.

I'm try to get as much growth out of it before it's goes to sleep since I won't get fruit this year.

Comment

• fitzski
          fitzski commented
          Editing a comment
          i'm trying to do the same (get as much growth as possible) with some of my new figs too. Has it been unusually hot in your area? Do they ever uncurl?

• AmericanFigLover
          AmericanFigLover commented
          Editing a comment
          It's doesn't get too hot. I'm guessing higher humidity would help them uncurl.

Is there a difference between the Nero 600 and Nero 600m ?
        Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

• WillsC
          WillsC commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope.

• sal
          sal commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for clearing that up for me Will.
          Last edited by sal; 07-14-2015, 07:22 PM.

• COGardener
          COGardener commented
          Editing a comment
          Lazy people leaving the M off

The leaves of My Nero also bend up.. I use MaxiGrow for my liquid fertilizer. I add Epsoma Garden Tone with ProMIX BX with added large Perlite. I don't use Mycorrhizae because it comes in Promix BX.

Last edited by sal; 07-14-2015, 07:27 PM.
        Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

• AmericanFigLover
          AmericanFigLover commented
          Editing a comment
          Your plant is looking nice. Did you pinch it to get it to branch like that?

• sal
          sal commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't pinch this one at all.

Looking good, congrats on the score!
        Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

Is this a slow growing variety? Maybe my tree is creeping alone since it isn't very established yet. It does look good for being less than 30d days old.

I might try to find a way to keep the pot cool. I hope the newer younger roots aren't getting roasted.

Comment

• Chrisk
            Chrisk commented
            Editing a comment
            Go to a Starbucks near you and ask them for used coffee grinds for your garden. They are free on a first come first serve basis. They keep them in those nice aluminum foil heavy duty large bags . Use the grinds or dump them in the trash and use the bags to line the pot? Works wonders and looks pretty neat.

It's the slowest grower I have.
          Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

Looks good from here. That's a lot of new growth. I'd say your biggest challenge is to keep the soil uniformly moist. Soil in pots tend to dry around the sides allowing water to drain without soaking the middle.

I bottom water pots in a container just a little larger than the pot the plant is planted in. I fill the container with water, sometimes with water soluble fert, just to the rim but not over. I leave a few minutes to be sure the inner part of the root system gets a good drink.
            Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Working...
            X