X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lampeira Preta : productive and precocious

Lampeira Preta has to be one of the most productive and precocious fig variety available. My 3 trees were started from cuttings Sept last year. That's 7 month old trees in 3 gallon pots!
    They are each over 4 feet tall and produced already 20-30 figs each!

Here are photos showing a couple of the beautiful trees with ripening figs.

I’ll repeat here a question I just asked on another thread — is this a San Pedro? My reading and notes suggest yes, but if you’ve harvested and eaten good for figs on new growth, that suggests no.

Or has the name been applied to more than one variety?
    Joe, Z6B, RI. Hoping for warmer, drier weather. If it continues like this, I might as well be in Seattle.

Comment

• ramv
      ramv commented
      Editing a comment
      It produces a main crop. It also has a breba crop. The cuttings came from a reliable source.

Wow you are off to a great start!. Loaded with figs!.
    was sure Francisco (Lampo) said it was a breba only fig (one of the many reasons it's on my wish list),his commends are here: http://figs4funforum.arghchive.com/p...-breba-8180813

If this was rooted in Sept last year is this fruit growing on the growth from last year?,has it been allowed to go dormant and then wake up?...just trying to get my ahead round whether these are actually brebas

Haroon,Birmingham U.K,Zone 8ish
    W/L: Granthams Royal, Gayet,De Tres Esplets,Campaniere,Moscatel Preto,Cavalliere

Comment

• ramv
      ramv commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Haroon,
      It was rooted in Sept and I never allowed it to sleep. Kept it going under lights all winter. The brebas are forming and growing now.

Yeah Harvey lists it as a SP.
    Joe, Z6B, RI. Hoping for warmer, drier weather. If it continues like this, I might as well be in Seattle.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the photos ramv - that's a very nice productive tree! It's almost like you've fooled your fig trees into thinking they're in the southern hemisphere.
      Kate - on acreage in a subtropical/warm temperate growing region in south-east Queensland, Australia

Comment

• ramv
        ramv commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes Kate, it is nice to be able to grow 12 months a year: atleast a few trees.

Looking very impressive .
      Naeem
      Maryland Ellicott City Zone 7A

Comment

Added to the wish list!!!
        WL La Radek BT, Improved Celeste, Florea

Comment

There's Lampa Preta which is definitively a San Pedro and sometimes is called Lampeira Preta - the one that Francisco has mentioned in that thread - http://figs4funforum.arghchive.com/p...-breba-8180813.

There is also a Lampeira that is bifera (a two crop fig without the need for a wasp) - Here's a description (in French) - https://figuesdumonde.wordpress.com/...1/15/lampeira/
          Jaime - Zone 9b - Portugal - Whish list: Sofeno Claro, Paderne, Pardinho, Bournabat, Bouhouli, Thermalito, Unk. Pastiliére, Luv, Genovese Nero.

Comment

• jrdewhirst
            jrdewhirst commented
            Editing a comment
            A possible fly in the ointment? -- The Lampeira described in the Figues du Monde piece has a bunch of synonyms that are listed there, including Lampo Preto. So I'm still confused. Is Lampa Preta different from Lampo Preto, in some way more fundamental that a sex change?

• Jsacadura
            Jsacadura commented
            Editing a comment
            The problem is that 'Lampa Preta' just means 'Black Breba' in Portuguese. So, If two different fig varieties have a Breba crop and they have dark skin they can both be called 'Lampa Preta', by the folks that grow them, while being 2 different varieties, one a San Pedro and the other a Common with 2 crops.

JSA — thank you!!!

Comment

Wow, they look amazing! I hope I have as much luck, I have two of these rooting right now and so far they are just zzzzzzzzzzz.
            Sacramento, CA
            Zone 9b

Comment

Well that might just have to be one i get this fall., nice pics! Dang !! Didnt know your on the west side of the state. Im on the east side of wash.
              Myfigs:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QMA/edit#gid=0. WL: I 258, violeta, RDB, Black Ischia, Raspberry Latte, Malta black, Figo Preto, Galacia Negra, Black Zadar. Spokane, Wa. Z6

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Jaime.
                50.27 °N, halfway between the Rockies and the Pacific
                Zone 6a but winter lows vary from -23C/-10F to -15C/+5F
                Hot short dry summers often up to 32C/90F or more. Semi arid.

Comment

That looks awfully good! If you're getting ripe fruit now I'm scared of what your electricity bill looks like =)
                  Ben B.
                  Seattle, WA

http://seattlegardenfruit.blogspot.com/

Comment

• ramv
                    ramv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's but a small expense.
                    Figs 12 months a year -- priceless!

This is definitely one of those figs that deserves to be widely grown,it’s been on my wish list since Francisco teased us all with his beautiful pictures of it over at F4F.I am glad it’s working it’s way around folks collections
                  Haroon,Birmingham U.K,Zone 8ish
                  W/L: Granthams Royal, Gayet,De Tres Esplets,Campaniere,Moscatel Preto,Cavalliere

Comment

Working...
                  X