X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel 2015 Main

This is a three year old tree in a 10 gal pot and its my first time to taste tis
    delicious fig. To me this is a good example of one of those varieties that you
    don't hear a lot of talk about but it turns out to be a gem. This tree gets a
    maximum of five ours of direct sun a day from about 9am to 2pm.

Its taste is a delicious honey flavor, a very jammy texture and no seed crunch.
    We have tasted many light colored figs and my wife, two grand kids and myself
    all rated it very high on our lists. I will give it a 9 and maybe even higher as
    the season progresses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4266.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	28825

Name:	IMG_4264.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	28826

Name:	IMG_4271.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	28827

newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

That's great to know, especially about how little sun it gets. Have been very much looking forward to my Excel rooted cuttings maturing.

I have some Mt Etna bushes coming along with their fruit in that limited amount of sun but no other variety, I think, though I've yet to try Improved Celeste and Ronde de Bordeaux within such limits, and hope they might also do well in the future.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Thanks for sharing, got me curious. Might have to see if I can track that one down and add it to my collection.
      Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Very nice and early! I've got a decent crop formed on mine that I'm looking forward to.

Randall, I'll probably have some cuttings available in the winter.
        https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
        SE PA
        Zone 6

Comment

• Whiterk
          Whiterk commented
          Editing a comment
          That's very generous of you. Thank you

• Kelby
          Kelby commented
          Editing a comment
          Just remind me!

newnandawg - Was your plant in a greenhouse or sunroom, or did you do the fig shuffle with it at the beginning of the season? This must be a fairly early variety for you, how does the earliness compare with other main crop varieties?
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Ed, no green house just the shuffle in late March and early April. Along with RdB. Unk Afghanistan, Souadi, Abicou,
          Figo Branca, Dominicks Italian these are my earliest ripening main figs.
          newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• eboone
            eboone commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the info!!
            I started my shuffle around 4/6 I think but it was cool and I'm not sure how much good it did that early. But they were waking up in the cold cellar.

Looks delicious Mike........looking forward to next year when mine will bear fruit
          Brian
          Chackbay LA Zone 9A

Comment

Something to look forward to next year....and another reason to get them into biggger pots...Thanks for the info.....really good news
            Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Yet another nice fig Mike. I got a little one from Brett a couple of weeks ago and he did a beautiful job rooting it. Maybe I ll get some fruit in a year or two. It was up there on my wish list. Thanks again Brett!

Comment

Yep
                Very nice. I'll have to add that to my growing wish list. Shaded spots are all that's left on my property. Does the wish list ever shrink?
                Pine Prairie, LA 8B

Comment

Working...
                X