X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK - How about this - I set up this system and get the desired flow rate and duration down... Then I go away for a few weeks and while I'm gone it rains every day. Obviously I don't want to keep watering... But what would one do?

Comment

And also make sure the outdoor spigot you're using isn't running through any water softening system you may have your well water coming through. My son has two outdoor spigots and recently discovered one is fed by a water line coming through the water treatment/softener. He now realizes why his front lawn was never as healthy as his back lawn.
      “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
      – Chinese Proverb

Comment

We used to be able to get an 8 armed spider for containers but they stopped selling it. Another version of it is here, they stack onto an emitter allowing you to water 8 pots at a time so you can have your supply line laying on the ground and run the feeder lines to the pots, makes it much easier to set up and move pots around, if one pot needs more water than the others just put 2 lines to it. As far as overwintering, you should only need to drain your lines, close off the ends, and leave it in the field, we are zone 6 and leave all the tubing in the field. We take the timers, filters, pressure regulators inside for the winter. Each company should have in their guides an overwintering plan. Just think, apple orchards and vineyards do not pick up their irrigation each year do they?

https://www.dripworks.com/multi-outl...or-woodpeckers

Comment

I'm on my THIRD irrigation iteration lol. All that money and hours shoveling to bury lines was a total waste. As they say, third time was the charm and I am now happy with how the system works so moral of the story is plan plan plan before you ever pick up a shovel.
          The extra airlayers will be added to the site 9/11 in the evening. Sorry for the delay.

https://Willsfigs.com OR http://willscfigs.com

Comment

For pot culture growers:
            Drip has its cons.. for bigger then 7 gallons notice that drips like to make a channel through soil and runs of out of the pot like nothing was actually irrigated. In canada maybe youl get different results since the weather is milder.
            I for this reason and as as like my figs went of drip for most of my collection and practicing shower irrigation manually.
            I will use drip for all the collection when i am on a trip and for 10% of my collection ususally.

There are other solution's for the drip running out like:
            More compost
            More drip emitters per pot
            using SIP
            adding sand or loam to your soil mix

Btw if drainage is good for most of your plants you can run them with same drip rate mostly or change the emitter from 1 GPH to 0.5 GPH...

In Israel they did a study on growing containerized figs and they found that for getting maximal crop and growth for container figs one has to maintain high soil moisture as much as possible
            Last edited by elin; 04-03-2018, 07:21 AM.
            Growing: Sbayi, Hmari, Niagara, Black Portugal, Torres, Rei , CDD's.
            Wish list: Family varieties. Grise st jean,

Comment

• nickawwad
              nickawwad commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks Eli. interesting information. i established irrigation for all my containerized figs this spring, all 25 to 30 gallon size. and the "channel" radius for me depends on how long you keep the system running. i keep it running at 1 gph emitters staked 2 inches above soil near the trunk. and after 1 hr, the water channel radius can be as big a 8 to 10 inch radius. as much as i like manual shower, i couldn't keep it up last summer. too much work especially when you need to water twice a day on very hot days

• elin
              elin commented
              Editing a comment
              Nick in the heat of our summers the drip will not be able to create a good radius of irrigation. see "water tension". for 25 gal pots i would use 3 emitters. also the idea of water tension and drip was studied here and youl need to increase frequency of irrigation as well since the drip like to run out of dry soil more. You could always mix with some manual shower irrigation part of your collection and compare the results.

• WVMJack
              WVMJack commented
              Editing a comment
              There is also 1/4 inch dripper hose with drippers already in the hose, we like these to make a circle around a tree and attached to the feeder line with just one hole, in a bigger pot you could easily curve a length of this in a circle within the pot to create several drip zones much easier than putting in several different regular drippers. https://www.dripworks.com/drip-irrig...oaker-dripline

One thing that I'll add is that I like the pressure compensating emitters. I have some high and some low and in lines that are probably too long but they emitted the same levels of water each time I tested them.
            Don - OH Zone 5b/6a

Wish list: @Your favorite fig and Craven's Craving, Izmir, Galicia Negra, Planera, Thermalito

Comment

I tried to read the comments on this thread. Holy Cow there were a lot. I did not read them all. I use a Hunter brand electronic timer. (You can plumb a manifold directly from your water pipe or you can run it off of a hose spigot.). I have well water so I do not bother with de chlorination or pressure reducers. I use 1” irrigation lines to carry the water to 2 zones of drip irrigation for my pots. Using a hole punch I pop a hole in the 1” line and attach a 1/4 “Spaghetti” line. This is about 3-4’ long. I then wrap a 1/4” drip line around each fig tree trunk. The drip line drips .5 gallons per hour per hole spaced 6” apart. The system works great. I would not want to do it any other way.

For my smaller pots (3 gallon and under) I use overhead water on a third zone.
              www.NJFigFarm.com

Comment

Originally posted by NJFigFarm View Post
                I tried to read the comments on this thread. Holy Cow there were a lot. I did not read them all. I use a Hunter brand electronic timer. (You can plumb a manifold directly from your water pipe or you can run it off of a hose spigot.). I have well water so I do not bother with de chlorination or pressure reducers. I use 1” irrigation lines to carry the water to 2 zones of drip irrigation for my pots. Using a hole punch I pop a hole in the 1” line and attach a 1/4 “Spaghetti” line. This is about 3-4’ long. I then wrap a 1/4” drip line around each fig tree trunk. The drip line drips .5 gallons per hour per hole spaced 6” apart. The system works great. I would not want to do it any other way.

For my smaller pots (3 gallon and under) I use overhead water on a third zone.
                Aaron.. How did you do the rings around the trees? Was that custom or pre made?

Comment

It’s custom. Just make a circle around the trunk of the tree and join with a T connector. Simple.
                  www.NJFigFarm.com

Comment

• WVMJack
                    WVMJack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We use this around young trees, but plug it right into a half inch feeder line and end with a dripper or a leak plug.

• TorontoJoe
                    TorontoJoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think this is pretty much my plan for all my potted figs this year. Thanks Aaron.... This will be the year of the Naples Dark

A few comments back someone mentioned using rainwater for irrigation. Rainwater is our business. If anyone is interested I can describe how to set up a system, with a pump inside the tank that communicates with the irrigation controller. They also make irrigation controllers that are wifi capable, that you can access with your phone from anywhere in the world. They are also making controllers that connect to the weather service so you don't water when it's just rained, or about to rain.
                  Currently living in 9b, planting in 6b.
                  Working at MetalRainTanks.com
                  Wish list: Anything hardy in 6B.

Comment

I just put an order in with drip Depot because of this thread, and an order with eBay for the raindrip timer... really looking forward to all the free time once it's up and running, and better growth I'm sure.

Comment

I second a WiFi controller if you can make it work with your set up! I bought one for the inground irrigation system last year and at the same time added a separate inground zone to supply for the drip tubing in my vegetable garden bed. Everything now only gets watered when it needs and only how much it needs based on vegetation, soil type, slope, and weather (based on the past, present and future weather). We used a lot less water, the lawn has never looked better, and the veggie garden did great.

Unfortunately my potted trees for the foreseeable future will be on the opposite side of the house from the system so no easy or cheap way to put them on as another zone -- long run with an asphalt driveway blocking it's path in one direction, and a retaining wall and concrete doorstep slab in the other.

My Raindrip controller arrived yesterday from Amazon, and as soon as I finish preparing our tax return (ugh!) I'm placing my order for the rest of the drip supplies.
                      – Chinese Proverb

Comment

Still on the drawing board.... Literally. I'm having a tough time deciding on number of drops. I have a lot of small one and two gallon trees. I can't decide weather to commit irrigation resources to them or just to wait....

Does anyone have a benchmark of how large a plant needs to be before it joins the plants in drip irrigation?

Comment

• WVMJack
                          WVMJack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Did you see the splitter post I put in this thread, on emitter divided into 8 splits with a little dripper on a stake goes right into a gallon pot.

• TorontoJoe
                          TorontoJoe commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I wasn't sure what I was looking at.... This is cool. So I just set aside an area where the 1 gallon's live and set up the octopus

I know all soils and climate are different. What would you say is a good starting point for flow rate and daily duration for say a 5 gallon bucket?

Comment

• AscPete
                          AscPete commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Start with the amount you currently apply while hand watering...

AscPete - That's a bit hard for me to calculate. Clearly you measure how much water you apply... I sort of do the same thing.

For me it would be based on + or - the amount of water that would fill the top 3" of forty, 5-gallon buckets... in the amount of time it takes to drink a glass of wine....

I know it's not scientific method... Come to thinking... Hand watering is starting to sound better and better.

Comment

• AscPete
                          AscPete commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That amount can be measured, apply that amount of water to buckets without holes then measure the results.

• TorontoJoe
                          TorontoJoe commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Always a clever solution!

I got my customized kit from Drip Depot yesterday and finally got a chance to open the box and take inventory. It was packaged beautifully, everything is there, and they even threw in a couple of Tootsie Pops!

The Potstream emitters have nice sturdy stakes and the +/- dial operates smoothly. It'll be a while before I get to see them in action, but I'll post a review later this year.
                        – Chinese Proverb

Comment

• WVMJack
                          WVMJack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They have some interesting splitters, like 6 or 8 from one dripper, great for a lot of pots with an arrow dripper

I drew up a map and sent it to www.irrigationdirect.ca. The have a good reputation up here and they seem to carry good quality stuff. I'm just waiting to hear back... Drip Depot seems great but I'm leaning towards using a local supplier in the event I need any post-purchase support. Plus, if they really tick me off I can drive out to their shop. Will wee what they come back with.

Comment

Hey Joe. Just picked up on this thread. Have been using drip irrigation for 5 or so years now. Love it! I use a battery Melnor 4-zone timer plumbed into a homemade manifold. Backyard orchard is broken into 3 zones. On city water with pressure reducer at the head of each zone. Going through the thread I picked up some of the questions:
                          • Can you go away for extended periods? Yes. But I usually have someone come in and do a once-around the orchard anyway, just to be sure. Very reliable.
                          • Can you leave it in the winter? Yes. I've never removed the system. Never blown it out. Once pressure is off lines will drain our enough that no damage occurs. The tubing is pretty flexible as well so if any water is left and freezes the tubes will expand. Timer and/or manifold MUST be disconnected and taken inside.
                          • Will rodents chew on the lines? Yes. Happens to me at least once a season. No big deal. Splice out the chewed up portion of line and your back in business. Water won't run continuously if on a timer so no worries there. Have to control the rodent population a little better. I also know figgers with drip systems that it never happens to. The bigger problem here is a squirrel knocking a drip line clean out of a pot. Happens less often then chewing but the damage is more severe. By the time you pick up on it, it's too late.
                          • Does it look good? Absolutely! You can bury main lines and depending on how neat you are, you won't even be able to tell it's there.
                          • Can you water small pots? It's the best! Dripdepot has tons of nursery stuff. I run 12 1/8" lines off the 1/4" lines to water 100 or more tree pots. Flow rate can be adjusted down or up with pressure compensating button dripper.
                          • Can pots become hydrophobic (create a channel of water that runs through the pot)? Sometimes. The rain helps here but I find this may happen to some degree in smaller pots. Easily corrected if you're in the orchard and maintaining. Just move the drip sticks around every now and then and that's all. The other fix is to use sprinkler emitters or tree rings. Just don't stake down the ring.
                          • Can you stop the system from watering when it rains? Yes. Have to get a Wi-Fi watering timer. I have no experience with them but hear they're pretty good. The alternative is to teach your neighbor kid how to put your watering timer into a rain delay. Much cheaper than a Wi-Fi timer. Just write the instructions down and laminate them. Keep them close to the timer.
                          • Easy to install? Yes. Plan, plan, plan, plan, plan..... did I say plan? Add your mainlines where you need and might need them and that's all. Everything will plug into your mainlines so no sweat after they're installed. Keep hot water on hand when installing. Connections go together in seconds with hot water. Install coupling valves in easy to reach places of your main line. They're cheap and it will be worth the time and money of installation, even if you only need it once. Use Perma-Lock fittings for main line. Much easier to install and they're reusable. Buy extra Perma-Lock T's and couplings to have on hand in case of whatever. Same for 1/4" barbed connectors. Install end cap flush valves wherever main line tubing terminates. No need to flush your system if you do it and no air-gaps. Get yourself a tubing cutter and hole punch for 1/4" connections.
                          • Can you still stand around yard with white undershirt, bathing suit, black socks and sandals? Of course! Only you won't be doing it with a garden hose in your hand any more. To make yourself feel better, find an old length of garden hose and cut off about 6 feet. Attach an old nozzle on the end and walk around the yard with that in your hand while your new drip system does all the work.
                          I researched this to death and Dripdepot.com really is the best. Great value and free shipping after $50. If you have any questions you can pm me anytime.

Melnor watering timer and homemade manifold.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0386.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.6 KB ID:	295375 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_32164.jpg Views:	1 Size:	124.2 KB ID:	295377

This is what happens when you don't remove watering timer and manifold before first freeze.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8091.jpg Views:	1 Size:	109.7 KB ID:	295366

Sprinklers and stake dripper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9244.jpg Views:	1 Size:	197.4 KB ID:	295367Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9243.jpg Views:	1 Size:	199.9 KB ID:	295368Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0390.jpg Views:	2 Size:	234.7 KB ID:	295376Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0388.jpg Views:	2 Size:	183.4 KB ID:	295373

100+ treepots hooked up to 1/8" line.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8439.jpg Views:	1 Size:	84.4 KB ID:	295365Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2033.jpg Views:	1 Size:	156.5 KB ID:	295372

Squirrel digging in pot knocked sprinkler out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4305.jpg Views:	1 Size:	257.6 KB ID:	295369

Groundhog standing right on top of sprinkler line. Didn't knock it out this time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HUNT0192.jpg Views:	1 Size:	186.8 KB ID:	295370Click image for larger version  Name:	HUNT0194.jpg Views:	1 Size:	187.4 KB ID:	295371

Rodent damaged 1/4" lines.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bite line.jpg Views:	1 Size:	144.8 KB ID:	295378 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_32161.jpg Views:	1 Size:	197.7 KB ID:	295374
                          Last edited by nycfig; 04-16-2018, 12:34 AM.
                          Danny; NYC Z7b

List safe. Bid safe. figBid.com

Comment

• fowlerj
                            fowlerj commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nice write up NYCfig!
                            I bought the Melnor timer and placed it on 1 inch line controlled by Hunter irrigation valve that would go on and off, I needed different zones at the terminal end of that main line and have not had time to extending my irrigation valve to the area yet. think that on off pressure didn’t do it with Melnor, it would open up other zones that were not programed for some reason. I assume hose bib that was on constantly works best. Figured out a temporary solution. So nice not having to drag the hose all over the place.

nycfig - Thanks Danny. This is great. I love the box you build for the hose end distribution.

Couple of questions. I see you have the timer feeding into a 4-way splitter. I'm toying with the idea of getting a timer that can do multiple zones independently.... I'm not sure if it's necessary though.

In your pots I see you're using different types of emitters. Drip, sprinkler.... I was thinking of rings... Any real advantage of one over the others or did it just end up that way?

The equipment being recommended to me from Irrigation Direct Canada is made by DIG Irrigation.

Comment

• TorontoJoe
                            TorontoJoe commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks for all the great detailed advice. All very useful

• DaveL
                            DaveL commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Joe, I been using DIG irrigation products for the last two years and except for the occasional clogged emitter, I have had no issues.

• TorontoJoe
                            TorontoJoe commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Also good to know. I appreciate the respect Drip Depot is getting here. Based everyone's testimonials I'd be going straight to them... The only issue for me being in Canada is how shipping and warranty support is handled.

I installed my drip system today. I had already mapped it all out before I even placed the order, and had watched enough of the videos on Drip Depot's site that I already knew exactly how it was going together. Took me a little over an hour to get it all set up and tested. I have nine large pots connected and capacity to easily add another eight or nine. Since I apparently lost all my winter-stored trees, with possibly two exceptions, that'll be more than needed this year with room to add a couple more varieties next year.

I went with two runs of 1/2" tubing for a front and back row of pots, then ran two 1/4" tubing sections up to each pot connected to Potstream emitters. The Potstreams are fully adjustable and spray in a fan pattern, so one on each side of the pot gives me full surface coverage. The Raindrip timer looks very straightforward, but I'm going to wait until tomorrow's expected 3/4" of rain is well past before I actually set it to run.

– Chinese Proverb

Comment

What do you folks do where you can’t bury the main dripper line? Having a black half inch line running across a concrete patio when it’s 100+ degrees out produces scalding hot water for the first minute or 2. This can’t be good for our plants.
                            I thought about covering the line with foam pipe insulation where exposed?
                            Just seeing what other options are used.
                            Thoughts?

Rob.
                            Last edited by Ichijiku; 06-04-2018, 10:43 PM.

Comment

I ended up going with irrigationdirect.ca. They were good to deal with. Quality parts and good prices with a lot of advice. I'll try and post a full compliment of pictures setup by the weekend.... It's all installed now though and working great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Drip-Layout.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	315205

Comment

I just finished setting up my drip irrigation in the main orchard. I wish I had done it sooner. I've actually had the parts for like 4 years, but life kept getting in the way. I did have one small mishap during testing. I heard a hiss of a water stream but wasn't sure where it was. Then I looked up and found it.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	leak.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	321534

Johnny
                                Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

It was a PITA to set up but man is it wonderful now... It saves me so much time.... It gives me at least an hour more a day of play time with my little boy

Comment

Working...
                                  X