X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time experimenting with Clonex question

I applied Clonex to 3 cuttings on Sunday. Today I come home and the person that's painting the house knocked over my cuttings!!!! My LSU Purple's and my Maltese Falcon cuttings.

Now the LSU Purples had root systems they were tipped side ways some lost a lot of soil. I didn't pull them out because I saw the roots and and didn't want to disturb them anymore.

Now the 3 Maltese Falcons that I applied Clonex to were almost all empty. I rushed to take them out of the cups and put them in damp Coir. I can see the bottoms were stained with the clonex but do I need to reapply?
    Zone 6a Orange County NY

not necessary to reapply clonex but if it will make you feel better you can it won't damage anything, it's done it's job and absobed into the bark, re-pot in the cups carefully with new moist material, take an aspirin and come back in the morning....they are identifiable...right?

OMG....Maltese Falcons.....how did the Humphrey Bogarts do....now that dates me

works pretty good eh?....stuff is amazing...purple gold
    Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Yes they are identifiable ..

Ok I feel better now ... I'm going to take an Aspirin as suggested because I need it after today... I flipped out when I got home from work. I was experimenting by going right to cups because some of the ends got to soft in my damp coir container. I actually used a razor to trim the soft material. I got to scared when I saw some of the ends get soft brownish that's when I decided to try Clonex for the first time. These cuttings were a little expensive.

Today I received even more expensive cuttings and I'm not playing around .. I bought Rhizo Gel made by Botanicare its basically the same just not as strong..I didn't know the small pouch of Clonex gel could be saved It was 5$ and change. I tossed it not knowing and spoke to the guy at my local hydro store and said it could have been saved.
      Last edited by sal; 07-15-2015, 09:53 PM.
      Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

Clonex won't stop the rot...but brushing clonex over the newly cut ends is part of my protocol for applying it...best of luck with them
        Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Yeah I haven't had this happen with cuttings since the beginning of the spring. I started cleaning all my new cuttings with a very light solution of bleach and water and haven't had the problem since.
          Zone 6a Orange County NY

Comment

Use light damp smag moss. 75F degree. If you slide finger nail on bark near root snip next node up until you see green. Then would cutting. Re apply cloneX and burry in moss 3 week no touch. It will re root.
            Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
            1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
            2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

As an aside question, how much of the cutting do you dip into the clonex? Do you go past
              the bottom node and how much past.
              Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

If you cut rot off cut it up to just below 1/4 inch the next heathy node. wound it (I do) from the bottom ridge of the node clean to the end. Then dip cutting in clonex to top of that node. I suggest no dip cutting into entire bottle. Pour some into shot glass or use something clean to pull out enough out of bottle to apply onto cutting. In case cutting has anything bad that might spread into fresh clonex. Is you use the clonex purple gel yes? What you using for rooting material/method?

Comment

• rayrose
                  rayrose commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bought a bottle of the rooting gel and this will be my first attempt and I'll be using Doug's 3 cup method.

Ray,
                I agree with Taverna78's recommendations in post #8.

I use Dip n Grow rooting hormone which is a liquid, and only dip the bottom ~ 1/2 inch. The attached topic has pictures and a diagram of the recommended cut that should be made on the bottom end of fig cuttings, just below the node, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...ng-and-storing .

Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I would defiantly do smag moss so you will not rot again.

Comment

I score the bark at the bottom, removing just enough to show some green. I make 2 scores on opposite sides of the cutting, parallel to it. Maybe an inch long. Then I just paint the clonex over the green and the bark next to the scrape. A bottle lasts a long time using it like that.

There are plenty of ways to do it that all work. Soaking in KLN then applying clonex has worked best for me and dip & grow hasn't performed well for me. Everyone has their own ways that work for them but won't work for at least 1 other person. And we never know why.

Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• rayrose
                      rayrose commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not to sound stupid, but what is KLN?

• rusty hooks
                      rusty hooks commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Dyna Grow "K-L-N"- rooting concentrate....

• rayrose
                      rayrose commented
                      Editing a comment
                      When you soak it in the KLN, do you soak it full strength or do you
                      dilute it, and if so, by how much?

I cut the bottom of the cutting at 60 degrees, then use a mildly serrated butter knife and scrape the sides up the cutting about 1-2 inches to the cambium.....then I use a solder brush...(small metal handle brush with a china bristle) to apply a thin coat of clonex to the cutting up to the first node...maybe 2-3 inches. I use a paper cup, cut off so there is about 1/2 inch remaining off the bottom of the cup and pour a small amount into the cup...using that as the dipping tray. You can always add more to the cup. I then use a dibber to create a hole in the potting material so the cutting can be lowered into the cup without wiping the clonex off. Then gently press the potting material up next to the cutting and cap with a clear dome (straw dome). Say goodbye for a couple weeks

I soak all cuttings in I-3-BA, 5 ml/gal for 24 hours prior to starting the procedure.

Comment

• rayrose
                      rayrose commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not to sound stupid again, but what is I-3-BA? You guys are dealing with
                      a complete green horn.

• rusty hooks
                      rusty hooks commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Indole-3-Butyric Acid......I have a little nursery so we use "other" things....It's a plant hormone used in tissue culturing

• sal
                      sal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      rayrose no question is stupid..

Trust me on tis... No hard. If you want to clean cutting. I never have. Follow my step on clonex. Soak smag moss 24 hour. Ring out moss. Every Last drop and then one more. Fluff it out. Put 2 inch in bottom of plastic shoe box. Lay dressed cutting with clonex spaced out couple inch from each other so root don't tangle. Fill rest of box with same well wrung out moss. Cover with lid keep somewhere at 75F degrees. Leave it be 2-3 weeks and you will have rooted cutting
                    I must stress again.

Soak long fiber smag moss (orchid blend best is sterile) for 24 hour. Squeeze every single drop of water out of moss! Very inportant because when lid on in 75F Will make condensation and moss will rehydrate its self. Too wet will rot cutting. Trust me on tis. There's many ways and opinions. But I too just learn in January and have been 99% successful.

Comment

• rusty hooks
                      rusty hooks commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mike's right here...it's not hard.....and his method works well

I'm close to 100% as well....note the "close"....

Grazie Hooks

Comment

• rusty hooks
                      rusty hooks commented
                      Editing a comment
                      È stato un piacere

I'm trying....
                      Last edited by rusty hooks; 07-16-2015, 09:57 PM.

You are doing fine my friend ! 😁

Comment

Working...
                    X