X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly identification, calling all entomologists.

Any ideas what this guy is? Visually it looks similar to a horse-fly, but they don't bite /"bug" people or the dog at all. They showed up about a year after I planted a cherry tree. They really liked the cherry tree which I had for 3-4 years before I lost it this winter due to the sudden arctic -14F blast we had in November. That tree never had a chance to fruit, so they aren't associated with the fruit. They now hang-out on the fig trees and the deck and fence where the cherry tree was. I have never seen one damaging anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150611_093936-2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	29451

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150611_093844-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	29450
    Attached Files
    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

I think I have seen one before, not 100% sure. A quick look through the internet did not yield much, the cherry fruit fly was the closest I saw.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Picture wing fly. http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/...inia_picta.htm

Comment

Can't say I have seen that one before.
        Dale

Comment

Nice find Brent!

There you go Calvin.
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Totally awesome, thanks Brent! I have a ton of Grape Hyacinth bulbs all around my yard which are at the surface of the soil, they spread like wildfire. I wonder if the picture-fly larvae are feeding on them?
            Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
            Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Working...
            X