X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Infinity and Beyond

Well not quite, but dragging several hundred feet of hose trying to keep these going in long dry stretch right after planting made it feel as such. Luckily some summer showers given some relieve of recent. I got them in much later than planned, but it was pretty much my "all in" year. Make it in my climate or forget about yah, same way for my Pomegranates, a 180 view would show them in formation.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Looks to be quite the orchard and I'm sure worth the extra work.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Looks real nice.
      Enjoy watching it grow.

Doug

Comment

Good luck! I hope it rewards your efforts.
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

I found that mulch makes all the difference on the plant adjusting to being in ground.
          It lessens the water need and the plant shock in between watering.
          Hope it helps

Doug

Comment

Phil,

Would this be considered tough love?
            Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

You are off to a good start.
              Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Thanks folks,
                My plan was to plant out spring 2014, but I hesitated after that winter was considerably colder than a string of zone 8 winters that I did not see single digits and some rarely below 20 F, but the last 2 years my low right around 0 F and my true zone 7a. I will always manage some plants in pots, but in ground has always been my goal. If I get a string of zone 8 again I should be covered in figs, if I always see die back to ground it might be a frustrating cycle of grow back with figs forming to late to ripen which pretty much describes my current in ground.

Doug, Yes big believer in mulch here, would have really assisted in establishment, and on the grassy weeds, but I have not managed that yet. I can’t get power company chippings delivered here it seems, but I plan/hope with many loads of my truck to get a base of 12 inches high by 3-4 foot diameter circle in place for 1st winter. After 1st year establishment I should not have to water.

Wills, Yes tough love, but relatively few casualties so far, and like kids when you see one falter hard not to jump in with support. I also have a lot of duplication in that planting, and secondary goal was to airlayer a 1 gal backup of certain plants for winter storage, but few cultivars will get permanent pot status here and want limited large pots to tote in and out.
                Last edited by strudeldog; 07-27-2015, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Its a truly lovely location. The barn in the background adds to the ambiance. I am envious, but also very happy for you. Someday I'd like to buy a nice big plot and plant an orchard of different fruits. I guess I'll just have to pay a visit in a couple years! In the mean time, good luck with everything.

Mind if I ask....what all are you growing? Don't be shy on the details, if you don't mind!
                  Brett in Athens, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Brett,

I will have to tally some #s will try and post back here, and yes welcome to visit sometime, almost 3 years into this place, everything in that pic is figs but I grow a lot of other things.

Comment

Phil,

I struck out with the power company, as well. As it turns out, there is a not for profit camp for kids about 40 miles north of my trees in Texas where they dump ALL of their wood chips.

Look on Craigslist and call the local tree services for wood chips. Sometimes the tree services will ask you to take some trunk pieces along with the chips. It is ok to tell them "no", but it will reduce the number of times they call you. Also, many counties are offering free mulch to residents. I was able to get some through the "official" mulch program, and also some when we saw county workers doing some tree maintenance in the area.

If you are going somewhere that will dump in the back of your pickup truck, do yourself a favor and line your bed with totes. Costco has a ~20 gallon HD tote ( I think this is the same one Dennis [snaglpus] used for his clone mister) for about nine bucks. Walmart and target usually carry the Rubbermaid roughneck 18g totes for 6-8 dollars. Either way, it beats shoveling out the back of a truck. If you are planning on mulching the wood chips before spreading them (it is not necessary to do so), consider checking with the local ranchers for manure to mix in with the wood chips before mulching.
                      Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
                      N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

These numbers are close, but I am really in over my head and many things are neglected. I started in trying to just have low-care plants, but I can’t seem to resist trying things. Most all the stone fruit unless I develop a spray program should be pulled out, as I have lost couple trees this summer and pests are overwhelming. My bunch grapes are in poor shape potted and neglected and will likely not ever make it. Just been to many projects to tackle in the less than 3 years here. I focused on the trees and things like brambles and vines I have not had time to establish proper trellis and support, but it takes a pecan several years to bear whereas a bramble productive in 2. I still have a prior property about 45 minutes away where some more established plantings and some of these things are there, but I rarely make it there to give care. That barn was not there last year, neither was around 3000 feet of fence and my wife’s goat herd so I am making progress, just many things not getting the attention they deserve, and show that as result.

Some types are just a grafted branch, and I am sure I missed some things and might have a few more casualties.

18 type Apples
                        15 type Pears Euro and Asian
                        26 type Persimmon mostly Kaki do have a few American
                        5 type Jujube
                        8 type pawpaw
                        30 type Pomegranate
                        7 type Mulberry
                        100+ type fig

Stone fruit
                        4 type Sour/pie cherries
                        4 type apricot
                        8 type plum
                        7 type peach
                        5 type pluot/plumcot
                        1 almond

Vines/berries
                        12 type muscadine many still in pots needing plant out
                        7 type bunch grapes still in pots struggling and neglected
                        7 type kiwi most still in pot
                        20 type blueberries not many total plants
                        brambles still have a few blackberry raspberry but need to start from scratch here again when

Nuts
                        17 type pecans
                        Chestnuts
                        Black Walnuts
                        English/Carpathian Walnuts
                        Heartnuts
                        Butternuts
                        Trazel/Filazel given up on these

Misc fruits
                        12 type potted citrus
                        Honeyberry
                        Mayhaw sdlgs
                        Gooseberry
                        Pineapple Guava
                        Che (Melon Berry) seedless on O.O.
                        Seedling Loquat
                        Goumi Red Gem
                        Goumi Sweet Scarlet
                        Miracle Berry (Synsepalum dulcificum)
                        Ogeechee Lime
                        Currant Randall
                        Goji dead?

James,

The Power company usually has the chips available as load yourself at their office about 10 miles away. I use a ensilage fork that really works well and probably moves over 1 cubic foot each scoop. shovels don't work well, the forks just slide in. I think it's easier just to load straight into bed, just I like that type project in cooler weather.
                        Last edited by strudeldog; 07-27-2015, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Whiterk
                          Whiterk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm jealous. I would love to visit your place some time. Sounds like an amazing setup.

• strudeldog
                          strudeldog commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You are welcome to stop by as well, but it falls well short of amazing. most things are not producing yet, and much never will. The varied listings #s will decline with the exception of a couple things. Hopefully the figs #s will grow. As I find what works for me hopefully those will reward. Some things I am failing others would do just fine with a little more attentive care.

I also use wood chip mulch, I even put it on top of my garden about 8 inches deep, it's great having a garden with no weeds. Moisture retention is amazing. I also bring in loads of horse manure and age it for a few months. I also put down cardboard before the wood chips to help with smothering weeds and grass. The manure is important to add back nitrogen because the wood chips lock up nitrogen. My vegetables are organic but I don't mind using MG and chemical fertilizer on my fruit trees to help get them established and growing.
                        Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

I have had good success this year with just grass clippings.
                          It slowly decomposes as it holds in moisture around your tree.

Doug

Comment

• Whiterk
                            Whiterk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I like grass clipping the best but it's hard to locate truck loads of them.

I mulch when I mow.
                          I sometimes get lazy and my yard looks ready to be cut for hay.
                          I like to cut and blow it in a line piled up to let it dry out with the riding mower,
                          then I pull my push mower with a bagger behind my riding mower to collect the clippings.
                          Usually the youngest trees get hit first in the season.

Doug

Comment

• Chrisk
                            Chrisk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ha. The story of my yard also. I had to cut twice yesterday. That how tall it grew! I do just like you and mulch as I cut. It works pretty well .

• Whiterk
                            Whiterk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I can picture you pulling the push mower. Must be funny looking. haha

• SCfigFanatic
                            SCfigFanatic commented
                            Editing a comment
                            "I can picture you pulling the push mower. Must be funny looking. haha "

Yeah, I'm way beyond trying to look cool, I just get it done.
                            Walking is difficult for me so I save all the steps I can. I even built a 3 wheel trike
                            just to ride around and save steps. I have MS and spinal cord injuries.

Have fun
                            Doug

Great looking property you got there Phil. Thanks for sharing. If and when you get the mulch or make arangements to get some let me know. I can come up there to give you a hand to pick up and spread. I can pick up Brett on the way there and it would give us a chance to see your place from up close.

Comment

• strudeldog
                            strudeldog commented
                            Editing a comment
                            If you guys want to travel up would suggest in a mid-late Aug. That would be probably peak for ripening figs to sample. I am just getting my 1st main crop started now had about 1/2 dozen from Florea again leading the pack for early main crop

• Chrisk
                            Chrisk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sounds good, I'll get with Brett and see if we can make it happen. Many thanks Phil and don't hesitate if you need any help.

Originally posted by strudeldog View Post
                          I can’t get power company chippings delivered here it seems, but I plan/hope with many loads of my truck to get a base of 12 inches high by 3-4 foot diameter circle in place for 1st winter. After 1st year establishment I should not have to water.
                          The chips from the power company is what I use also but it is easier for me as one of my neighbors is a VP at our local electric company. Even still they only trim close by on a schedule, here every 3 years but I know so companies are every 7 years. So basically when it is your year and they are close by you can get a ton easily. 2 years ago have 20 truckloads delivered, now I have asked for 10 more truckloads and squat in the last 6 months. So keep after them, they will likely bring them when they get close enough. You can get lucky and they are doing a special project and might get some. Without the chips it would be tough to grow much here and have it amount to anything.
                          Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Grass?!?! Man, you guys have it nice. The property in Texas was over used for growing corn. The soil is pretty much dead and all that grows are the prairie weeds. Most of them send tap roots down (far down) and runners out all sides so they can propagate. The other big problem is a layer of hardpan about 12-14" down. I ran a my cultivator as far down as I could get it and still did not get through the hardpan. I am going to have to dig 4' deep holes with the auger for any new plantings. I'd like to cover the entire area with a 8-10" of wood chips to choke out the weeds, but for 3 acres it would require 3,000 yards of chips. When I was in Iceland, our tour guide indicated the threshold was 20cm (~8 inches) of volcanic ash to kill off the native landscape.

I don't know if the other areas have a similar program, but in Williamson County, TX, the county is offering cheap dumping ($6.25/yard) for tree trimmings / brush / etc. at the recycling center rather than hundreds of dollars it used to cost at the landfill.

I forgot to mention a source for cardboard earlier. Autobody shops get their hoods wrapped in cardboard. Generally the panels are bigger than 5' square. A busy shop should get better than a dozen hoods per week. They will have a couple of cardboard buttons on them. They are easy to remove with a box cutter, but I don't bother. While the weeds won't grow through the cardboard,
                            Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
                            N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

Strudeldog, that is quite a list of trees and vines and a beautiful looking place. I'm know you have put in hours of work in that orchard.
                              Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Looks great, Phil! Glad everything is doing ok, I know you wanted to plant earlier than you did.

On the topic of mulch, be careful with municipal mulches. They may have herbicide residue and are often full of weed seeds. Best to test them in a bucket for weeds and herbicides by planting some seeds and monitoring the growth.
                                https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                                SE PA
                                Zone 6

Comment

• Chrisk
                                  Chrisk commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Great advice Kelby,I never thought of that.
                              Working...
                              X