X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenora park fig tree.

This is the story of a fig tree We found a couple of years ago growing at Lenora Park here in GA while riding our bikes. Most of you have read the story at the F4F forum as it was written before outfigs forum was created and if you wish to revisit or read it for the first time the topic was " latest fig tree rescue story" . In a few words, the tree is very old maybe 30 + years and was killed down to the roots by the harsh winter of 13-14! I ve sent cuttings to quite a few forum friends in an effort to save this old warrior and I have been trying to keep up with its come back and development for the past few months so that we can all ID the variety . On my last visit, on the Friday before the LSU field day , I took a few photos of the new growth and figs and it looks like a pretty productive tree! No one has taken the time to trim those old limbs even though they've been weighing the poor tree down for over two years now and on top of that it seems like they have sprayed around the root with round up to kill the grass. Well they were two trees within a few feet apart and the second one in the background looks completely abandoned ! I will try to tell the tail with a few photos and I hope that in a couple of weeks I will have samples of the fruit. Those of you who did get cuttings please share your results at your own conviniance. Thanks again for reading and enjoy the pics!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 19 photos.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update. I'd be interested in hearing/seeing what the fruit look like.

Unfortunately, my Lenora Blk cuttings were part of the failed cuttings experiment this year.

I've settled on coir as my preferred cutting medium for now, until something better comes along.
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Sorry to hear about your cuttings Kevin. I grabbed a few greenish ones and they seem to be doing ok so far. If they take up I could send you a small tree in a couple of months.

Comment

thanks, I have some small trees from my unknown that i could trade.

I'll be asking for help in narrowing my unknown down when the fruit ripens in the next month or so.

I've been taking pictures of the leaves every few months.
        Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• Chrisk
          Chrisk commented
          Editing a comment
          Post some pics of your unk here to compare with the lenora.

• fitzski
          fitzski commented
          Editing a comment
          I will once the fruit ripens. I have my suspicions on what it might be but those with more experience will hopefully be able to narrow it down.

Thanks for the update Chrisk
        Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• Chrisk
          Chrisk commented
          Editing a comment
          Your very welcome Hershell. Did Wills re name you? The avatar is ok but why mess around with the name? Lol

He loves to punish me. Honestly I never provoke him. Lol. Look at his name in my signature
        Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• fitzski
          fitzski commented
          Editing a comment
          i was wondering if your signature was correct or not, i guess I know now

• Chrisk
          Chrisk commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha, awesome,you guys are hilarious.

Ok buds. Here is the latest from Lenora park. I stopped on the way home from work to see if there's any ripe fruit and I found a few that were not fully ripe but I couldn't resist. Small fruit ,pink- light red center, nutty not too sweet but good flavor. It will most likely taste a bunch better when fully ripe. Side by side with a smallish Peters Honey for comparison and a leaf. I lean towards Southeast Brown Turkey. Still convinced it is not a Celeste. Note the cavity on the figs and the unique leaf shape.any opinions are more than welcome so feel free to take a guess. By the way the tree is not at its best either with all the heat and the roundup they sprayed on the base!!!
        Thanks for reading.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

Working...
        X