X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Celeste main

Another excellent fig. 3 year old in a planter. Very sweet if you leave it to hang longer on a branch . 10/10!
    Productive, healthy, early fig. Pollinated.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

My golden celeste cutting is doing good so far. After seeing this I have my fingers crossed that it keeps getting stronger.. If you can show us a pic of the plant. Thanks
    Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

I will but tomorrow. Thanks

Comment

Are Golden Celeste all green with Strawberry insides?
        Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

Looks delicious. I wish my cuttings had rooted.
          Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Great looking fig Igor. At the LSU field trip and if I'm not mistaken, Dr Johnson said that golden celeste is a synonym to the Champane. The Champane is a total differentry fig. Yellow tear drop shape with yellow interior.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Interesting point.
              So you are hinting it might be something else? Is it possible that pollination changes the fig characteristics like for Kadota?

It is definitely a Celeste. I have an Improved Celeste from Vasile and both are similar in the taste (very sweet), shape (approximately a teardrop), the figs like to hang on the branch for long until dehydrated and than became super sweet.
              I got it from Jon during the f4f winter cutting sale a while back.

I am curious how the fruit would look like outside CA.
              Last edited by greenfig; 07-20-2015, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• don_sanders
                don_sanders commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd be willing to trial for you in Ohio zone 6 and give you an overview in a year or two.
                Last edited by don_sanders; 08-22-2017, 11:37 AM.

Greenfig,
              Thanks for sharing the photos and info...
              I'm looking forward to some photos of leaves, thanks.

Are those figs caprified? Its usually the explanation for the darker colors and developed seeds in some fig cultivars.
              BTW, Golden Celeste DFIC 161 is a different fig cultivar from Champagne aka LSU Golden Celeste
              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• COGardener
                COGardener commented
                Editing a comment
                Pete, thank you for the clarification of the DFIC versus the LSU.

Guys,
              Here are the leaves :
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

A beautiful tree Igor. Thank you for sharing.
                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Here you go as promised. An unpollinated fig from your Golden Celeste. Interior looks amber to me. Sweet without much flavor but this is the first fig so I reserve any judgement. Waiting to try more. There are two still hanging on and new ones starting. Most of the first batch dropped off before ripening. Some pretty leaves and some funky leaves. Grown in a 5 gallon sip in 8-10 hours of sunlight once weather allowed.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.
                  Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

Wow this is great info.

Comment

Thank you, Don, and thank you, wasp! That's an incredible difference.
                      It seems many Amber figs become red in CA.

Comment

Don don_sanders ,
                        Thanks for sharing your photos and info...

The Champagne aka LSU Golden Celeste is a very tasty and productive cultivar for colder zones. It not only produces good tasting breba figs, it also ripens main crop fig to a sweet jammy interior in cooler weather (lower average daily temperatures). They develop the brown sugar spots on the skin when they are ripe with an amber interior. Attached are a few photos from last year of main crop and a breba fig.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Igor, Looks Great and Yummy!!! I was tempted with dark red pulp,but wasps.
                          WL:1-Bass'FavFig 2-KaryasPrasina3ParatjalRimada
                          4-CDDPintada 5-Adriano's yellow w/red stripes
                          6-Luv aka Wolf,I'm really dreaming.

Comment

From everything I've seen this looks like LSU Golden Celeste aka Champagne and I should let it ripen on the tree longer next time. UCDavis Golden Celeste is darker with mostly single lobe leaves. Would everyone agree?

UCD Davis Golden Celeste:
                            https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...golden-celeste

Comment

• AscPete
                              AscPete commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes, it appears to be an LSU Golden Celeste, but more time will tell.

Is this Golden Celetes is totally different than Improved Celetes ? If not, how does Improved Celetes taste and productive in general. I need this information to decide if I should buy this Improved Celetes this week since the store is still have only two left. Thanks.

Comment

• greenfig
                              greenfig commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes, Golden Celeste is different from Improved Celeste. But what is "Improved Celeste" is a totally different question and you would open a can of worms by asking that question. Search for the information here or at f4f, please

Wow.. those figs look beautiful and more importantly.. delicious.
                            Jose in Glen Arm, Maryland.... Zone 7a

Comment

Looks so delicious and tempting to get. But soon I will have more Figs than I know what to do with.
                              WL:1-Bass'FavFig 2-KaryasPrasina3ParatjalRimada
                              4-CDDPintada 5-Adriano's yellow w/red stripes
                              6-Luv aka Wolf,I'm really dreaming.

Comment

Working...
                              X