X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improved Celeste-Main Crop

Improved Celeste, main crop. I waited almost 4 days since they turned color before picking (and devouring). I think they would have lasted another day on the tree, but no matter. They were good, sweet and sugary. I still prefer berry flavors in a fig. But nice to have main crop in July. I did cheat with about a month in the greenhouse in April.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Rafael
    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Thanks for sharing the photos and info.
    Its not cheating if you're able to enjoy ripe figs, its the reason we grow them
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

They look amazing, I'm jealous!!! I'm still waiting with baited breath.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Nice work. I've thought about trying to get a jump with Improved Celeste next year, maybe in a green frame, cross between a cold frame and a green house.
        Tony WV 6b
        https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Tony, do you have plan for your green frame?
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• mountainfigs
            mountainfigs commented
            Editing a comment
            A makeshift plan, currently. I have some polycarbonate panels on hand, enough to make a space that I could duck in and out of, abutting the house at back and garage on one side, making for a two-sided lean-to green frame. My concern is moisture from any humidity getting under the wood paneling of the house, and also potentially attracting critters to the protected space in winter.

Rafael,
          Is IC your earliest maincrop? Any idea when they formed as rice sized figlets? I have one of these as well, but it only saw the sun after threat of frost past- late May😩
          Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
          Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

Jesse, I would say that main crop began to set by mid-may, the tree was fully leafed out by the 3rd or 4th week of April. So far its my earliest main crop this year, although Adriatic JH are looking like they will ripen any day now.
            Rafael
            Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Good job Raf, they look awesome!
              Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
              Zone 8B

Comment

Working...
              X