X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Arizona!....and a Green Unknown...

HI Everybody!
    I'm new to the forum... i'm originally from So Cal and had a green fig tree given to me by a neighbor. Grew it for 5 years in ground and its about 10 feet tall and has tons of fruit. I moved to arizona 8 months ago and brought cuttings with me. (at the time i barely knew that you could propagate figs with cuttings)..i bought some other small fig plants to try growing in the yard....long story short....i didnt know that it could get upwards of 115 deg F in Arizona....within 2 weeks...everything got baked and died. I regrouped did some research and bought a Black Mission, Hardy Chicago, Brown Turkey, and Celeste (all 4 feet tall) from home depot put them in 25 gallon pots and they all gave me fruit the same summer(now i'm hooked). I just started cuttings beginning of January (outdoors) and now have Kathleen Black, Ronde De Bordeaux, Nero 600m, Black Bethlehem, Atreano, Black Jack, Violet De Bordeaux, Vista, Green Ischia, Black Madeira, Salem Dark, Pops Purple, Gino's Black, Sweet George,JH adriatic, and 4 unknowns from So Cal ....rooting and budding out perfectly each in 5 gallon pots. I have pictures of the unknown green fig(taken in July) from my house in so cal and haven"t been able to match it with anything to identify it. I was hoping you guys can give some input on what this might be. Thanks again and happy to be here!
    -Q
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.
    Quy
    SoCal, Zone 9b

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Unknown are really hard to identify but I'm some people might have an idea. Good luck with the new figs. Sounds like you are off to a great start.
    NC Zone 7a-b

Comment

Thanks for the welcome SharonC. I know its hard to identify.....me...i honestly think its some kind of hybrid. The area where i'm from ...you see random fig trees everywhere. Just driving around you'd see fig trees mixed in with the bushes next to the road or next to the flood control basins.....i figure being in an area where there is pollination by the wasp and birds eating and pooping seeds ....the sky is the limit to which crosses can be made and found. I have one unknown that is yellow with a light hint of purple on the outside that i found next to the flood control basin while jogging (very sweet) and one unknown from a local park that is big and purple found growing next to a fence. I've noticed that most of the "wild" fig trees found in random places are calprifigs.
      Quy
      SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

Welcome Q*
        I think that with the proper watering and protection from the sun when young, most figs can handle your crazy summers.
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Q*
          Q* commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the welcome eboone! I found on youtube there is a guy named MrFrozenJoe that post reviews on his figs and he is from phoenix. So i know it can be done....i'm thinking some type of drip irrigation will probably work. The weather has been really nice lately. This month has been in the high 70's during the day and low to mid 50's at night. I'm rooting cuttings outdoors and they seem to be doing fine outside with about 4 hours of direct sun before the tree i have them under shades them.

Welcome to the BEST Fig forum. Is the old homestead far? Maybe you could get some more cuttings or even try for an air-layer. Then maybe your new figs will be better.
        Art
        St Louis County, MO Z6B

Comment

• Q*
          Q* commented
          Editing a comment
          I travel back and forth from Phoenix AZ to Orange County CA about once a month (5 1/2 hour drive) so i was able to root some cuttings from the green unknown and they are doing fine now....after a lot of research on how to grow things in AZ

It would help if we see or you tell us what color the inside of the fruit is. When you find a really good fig in your travels there are several of us who will pay you for cuttings of it. I'd certainly pay you for the one by the basin. If the other was really good and not a mission I'd pay you for cuttings of it as well. If they're dormant you could put the cuttings in the fridge until it's safe to ship. PM me if you're interested
        Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

welcome to the forum.
          it looks like you are well on your way!!!
          andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
            Otmani - Dallas, TX - Zone 8a
            Wish List: Col de Dame Blanche, Brogiotto Bianco, Sicilian White, Panache

Comment

Welcome to the forum Q. .

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome guys!
                Quy
                SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

Aloha and welcome Q! Sounds like you're well into the addiction. Nice varieties you've got there.
                  Faith, family, friends and figs. (Not necessarily in that order).

Comment

• Q*
                    Q* commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks FiggieFive_o. Its amazing how fast a collection can grow by buying cuttings on ebay. Growing and collecting figs reminds me of collecting baseball cards as a kid.....you get the same excitement and the same joy.....only difference is with figs you actually get to eat something! Hope all is well on the Island!
                Working...
                X