X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My tiny Black Madeira

It is only in a 1 gal pot but I am proud of it.
    And it has a guardian too!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Looks really healthy! Is it growing at a reasonable rate? Mine is smaller than yours and has stayed that way more or less for five months, give or take a few leaves.
    Sarah
    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Not the slowest but not the fastest grower either. I am glad that it is almost healthy. I add 1/2 doze MiracleGro every 2 weeks, maybe that helps?
      I think I will uppot it into a 3 gal this weekend, very hot days are coming.

Comment

• Sarahkt
        Sarahkt commented
        Editing a comment
        Fertilizer is the key? Okay, just gave the same treatment to my BM.

By the way, the big, lowest fig on the RdB is turning purple quickly. I'm excited to finally taste this variety. Thank you!

• greenfig
        greenfig commented
        Editing a comment
        Super! Just remember, it was just rooted. The taste might be not the greatest

• Sarahkt
        Sarahkt commented
        Editing a comment
        I know, I know. Last year everything was too small/few to get more than one or two figs, so this year I'm just happy to have a few figs +/- a handful here and there from many of the trees, even if if most are in their 1st/2nd year and not ready to really represent!

Very nice tree, I'm really dig'n the guardian.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Just be easy with the water when you up pot it. It will squat when too moist. Is yours a UCD, Encanto origin, or elsewhere?
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Will do!
          It is from a UCD cutting

Comment

• cis4elk
            cis4elk commented
            Editing a comment
            It certainly looks good for a UCD BM. I sold my UCD BM off, it certainly didn't grow like yours. Good work, doesn't look like you need my advice. I still have my UCD CdDB which is a year old and has 2 leaves. It is growing roots in the pot so I hope some day it will explode in growth. With my short season, I'm hoping for a fig in a couple years from it.

Hi Greenfig!
          Your black madeira looks great...jealous yours has figs already! I started cuttings early Feb. in a 5 gallon pot and they've grown just a little slower compared to all the other varieties started at the same time. Posted my growth progression. Pictures dated 3/30/15....4/30/15...7/24/15
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
          Quy
          SoCal, Zone 9b

Comment

Nice BM. Being in SoCal you should see ripe figs. Mine is just now taking off in a gal pot but no figs.
            Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Nice looking tree. I like your guardian praying mantis. Did you add them to your garden? I added some ladybugs a few months ago but don’t see any now. I worry about fig mites, have looked but not found any yet, just a spider mite or two.
              My grafted BM is a little bigger with bigger leaves plus a foot taller from the rootstock. It’s in a five gallon pot but no figs yet. I’m doing leaf spray and fertilizing more often than you with a weaker MG solution alternating with other weak fertilizers.
              Mara, Southern California,
              Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

Congrats on your BM. Looks really nice! My UCD BM is a year old and just a little bigger than yours. It really is a slow grower and takes up a lot less water than the other plants, too. Sometimes I have to pull the dripped out of the pot and let it dry out.
                Danny; NYC Z7b

List safe. Bid safe. figBid.com

Comment

Wow guys . Your BMs look great . I only managed to root a Fico Preto and I'm very happy with it. It's kinda mid pack when it comes to growth but no figgies this year.
                  By the way when reading the title the following scene came to mind. Enjoy .

Comment

Working...
                  X