X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time to root cuttings

Well, a week ago I received a gift of a box of cuttings from a forum member and after getting advice from some of you fine folks, I put the ones that were budding in spagnham moss to root. I checked a couple of the cuttings over the weekend and found roots, so I got the stuff to transfer them to cups. Of the 17 cuttings in the spagnham moss, 8 showed root growth. I did several searches for a good potting formula to use and settled on this one: 2 parts commercial organic potting soil 1 part peat moss 1 part vermiculite 1 part perlite Potted into cups the following: --LSU Purple --LSU Scott's Black --2 Brown Turkey --2 O'Rourke --2 Atreano I thought I had more 2-liter bottles, but only had 5 to turn into single-cup terrariums. The other 3 I have in 1-gal plastic bags for the time being. All are currently positioned on the potting table on the side porch. No direct sunlight and shaded all day.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Bryant...Franklin County, VA...Zone 7a. Wish List: a 32 hour day....more sleep

That's great.. You have hit the ground running and you have some good ones aswell.. Good job..
    Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

Looks nice. Good luck.
      Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

And the addiction grows, now you have the need to root everything that you see. Congrats! Looks good, it's exciting to root cuttings.
        Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Good luck. I would make the mix hold a lot less water. I use at least 75% perlite. Usually just perlite and peat moss with lots of air spaces. I bury all of the cutting in that with just the top 1/4 - 1/8" out of the mix which eliminates the need for the humidity chamber. I also leave at least an inch of the mix below the bottom of the cutting.
          Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• fitzski
            fitzski commented
            Editing a comment
            Bob,

How often do you have to water if the mix is mostly perlite and no humidity chamber? Daily?

Kevin

Nicely done, that is good advice from Bob as well. Be careful of overwatering, wait until the mix is quite dry before doling out a small amount of h2o.
          Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
          Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

Awesome job, Bryant! Can't wait to see what your yard looks like a year from now.
            Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Thanks, guys. There are still 9 cuttings in the moss box, so I'll use Bob's suggested mix for those. In the meantime, this set will be monitored closely for moisture levels.

Comment

A quick update...

Discovered a couple days after putting the first set of cuttings that were pushing buds out on the porch that letting hem touch the inside of the bottle or bag is a very bad idea. The two O'Rourke cuttings are taller than the rest and the new foliage (and top of one cutting stem) touched the side and soaked up excessive moisture directly from the condensation--resulting in rot.

Changed my approach and pulled everything from the bags and bottles and put them in an inverted tall (27 gal) clear Rubbermaid container with locking lid. Pinched the rotted buds and trimmed the rotting stem before sealing it all up with a couple of open water dishes for humidity. Position on the porch gets about an hour of direct sun from 6:30 am until 7:30 am.

This morning I checked the rooting box again and found initials and roots on two more Brown Turkeys, Conadria, and UNK Yellow Greek. Potted these in a different mix--2 parts perlite, 2 parts vermiculite, 1 part peat moss. Added them to the humidity chamber on the porch.
                Last edited by DBJohnson; 07-27-2015, 08:55 PM. Reason: Hit "Post" too soon....

Comment

PS...will post pics once I get home tomorrow evening.

Comment

Bryant. Great job to save the cutting and change you mind and think of better way. Sound like you have it down now
                    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• DBJohnson
                      DBJohnson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you, Mike!

Prego

Comment

Update to provide recent pics... So the next question is: At what point do I need to consider repotting to a larger container?
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 12 photos.
                      Last edited by DBJohnson; 07-29-2015, 06:56 PM. Reason: To add my question....

Comment

• JimmyS
                        JimmyS commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I waited until there is enough root mass to hold the soil medium together,when removed from cup.Before I moved plant to bigger container.

Like air layer. Wait until cup is jammed or has at least 30-50% of the cup sides covered in roots. When look like my photo gently roll the cup in your hand separating root from side of cup. Have you pot ready with soil. Grab as much of cutting as you can between your middle and index finger like you hold a cigar and turn upside down. Let it slowly SLOWLY slide into you hand without shaking it up or breaking apart the little cup formed root ball and gently place in your soil. Lightly pack in dirt. No hard. Little water and if no leaf put right into full sun. If leaf you must acclimate to sun.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• DBJohnson
                        DBJohnson commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Grazie, Mike!

Prego

Comment

Today's update. The LSU Scott's Black is by far the most vigorous of these cuttings and will likely be the first to be potted from the cups in a week or two.

From left to right in the picture: UNK Yellow Greek, O'Rourke, O'Rourke, LSU Scott's Black, Brown Turkey, Brown Turkey.

Of the 17 cutting that went into the moss for rooting, 15 are now in cups, 1 was lost to mold, and one is still in the moss box.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Great job, Bryant! As mentioned, you want those clear cups almost root bound before graduating to pots. Easier to transfer, and more likely to survive the transition.
                          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• DBJohnson
                            DBJohnson commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Understood. Do I need to keep them in the high-humidity box until that time?
                        Working...
                        X