X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas White Everbearing

Found this guy this morning. Gonna wrap with aluminum window screen in a few minutes, else it's food for the squirrels, coons and opossums. Birds come later.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

The tree and leaves. The wire running above the fence in the middle of the pic 1 is at seven feet.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• mountainfigs
      mountainfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      If not Alma, maybe Kadota. "Texas Everbearing" is said to be a name given to any number of cultivars in Texas. Whatever it is, it looks good.

• AscPete
      AscPete commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerry,

The leaves do appear to be Alma not White Texas Everbearing... The figs may be lighter colored than typical Alma due to the shade from the overstory trees. Alma is one of very few cultivars with mostly 'Duck-foot' looking multi-lobed leaves.

• jmaler
      jmaler commented
      Editing a comment
      Pete, thanks for your input. A few years ago there were a few tri-lobed leaves with thumbs, but not any more. The figs, however,seem rather large to me to be Alma. I have an Alma cutting l rooted last year that came from a forum member in Houston that has a handful of figs. I will compare them to the WTE soon. The leaves on the Houston tree is tri, but the sinuses are a bit more defined than the WTE ones.

The tree I bought for Alma, per you guys on the forum, is Celeste. They are quarter size and no larger. I thought Celeste was a larger fig.

I have a Celeste from Lowe's but no figs yet.

Mountainfigs' comments got me to doing some research. Looks like I may have another Kadota. I'll compare leaves between the two tomorrow. The inground Kadota did not bear figs this year. Maybe next year i will be able to compare figs between the two.

Here are a couplt old interesting threads about TWE and Kodata.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussi...adota-variants

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox....earing-5939287
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Here, aluminum window screen was no match for the racoons unless I wrapped the screen in packing tape also.
      Bob C.
      Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Just had to get this one. It fell off in my hand but there was still a tiny bit of latax. I will put on kitchen counter under paper towel for a day or two to concentrate sugars.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
        Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

It taste very sweet with mild fig flavor and no seed crunch. My first thought was ambrosia. The texture was like eating pudding. There was no after taste.

I will definately propagate more for this 30 acres.

The bright quarter is with flash.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
          Last edited by jmaler; 07-24-2015, 04:45 PM.
          Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Looks great. Is this breba or main crop?
            Tony WV 6b
            https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Main with only a few this year. It was loaded with brebas and all dropped. This year the chickens had the run of the garden from Jan thru Mar. They did a number on the mulch which was 6 to 12 inches deep under the tree dropping plenty of nitrogen. The tree had an insane amount of growth in May and June which were unusally wet.

July has been dry causing about half of the leaves to drop. This first fig is the largest in the four years it has had figs.

Last year it had a few brebas that all dropped. It had a good main crop, the largest ever.
              Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

http://figs4fun.com/Thumbnail_White_...erbearing.html
                Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Hey Jerry. Great stuff buddy and a good looking fig. You mentioned something about Constantine on post #2.1 .
                  I purchased a couple of small trees from Walmart a few months ago and I could not find much info on that name. What do you know about them? Here's a photo of mine. Thanks in advance for any info.

Comment

Picked this one this morning. Now there is only one remaining. This one could have gone two more days but it still tasted great. Needed to water the tree since it started pushing new leaves this week. This is after an 8 hour watering last week. It will get another 8 hours of water today. I am trying for new growth so the air layer that was started july 9th will do the root thing. I checked the layer a couple weeks ago and there were no roots showing but the tree has been in decline due to the heat. It lost about 90% of its leaves. The figs sure were good though.

The calico is Miss Purdy and the gray tabby is Purdy Girl. They own this place. I am just their guest.
                  Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• Fruitaddict
                    Fruitaddict commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good looking cats

Now this sure looks like Alma. Same thing happened to the Alma tree at LSU. Lost all its leaves and was packed with figs!

Comment

I ran across this video on youtube. It looks like my WTE.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IM95N7gXktg
                    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• eboone
                      eboone commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Any idea who does that video - someone from one of the forums?

• eboone
                      eboone commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Actually, I think that is johnnyq627 (Nick) on f4f. Never mind.

Yup that's me. My WTE came from UCD as a cutting.
                    Youtube: PA Figs eBay: tdepoala
                    Wishlist: Galicia Negra, Paritjal Rimada, Black Ischia UCD

Comment

I think I am finally able to describe the flavor as sweet like mild honey. I found this one and one more this morning hiding out. Drop of honey in center and at 25 min b4 mark. Enlarge photo to get view of honey.
                      Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Your fig appears to be an Alma not a White Texas Everbearing...

The attached Link is of Frank's , FMD Alma trees which has clear photos of leaves and figs...
                        https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...ers-back-at-it

Alma is known for its leaves with rounded lobes and shallow sinuses reminiscent of a duck's webbed feet, and called duckfooted leaves by a well known fig forum member.
                        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Working...
                        X