X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympian brebas

Just picked a couple of Olympian brebas this morning, and thought I'd share some photos. 1 weighed 79 grams, the other 63. Just the right amount of sweetness for me, creamy texture, thin skin, light seed crunch, and a medium figgy flavor that lingered. I like the taste and look of this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3844.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	30316

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3847.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	30317
    Gary USDA 9A
    Sebastopol, CA

Looks tasty. Thanks for sharing.
    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

And my Olympian is still a skinny twig. Your figs look really good
      Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
      Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

• figgary
        figgary commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, AFL.

They look good and the size is impressive. Do you have any main crop developing on the tree.
      How old is the tree and was it started as a rooted cutting or a TC.
      I have three TC Olympians that I got earlier this year so I suspect that I'm a few years away from getting figs
      John Z5 Wish list:

Comment

• figgary
        figgary commented
        Editing a comment
        John, I got the TC tree from Wellspring April, 2014. It is still in a 5 gallon pot, and needs to be up-potted, but I was waiting on the brebas. It has many main crop figlets, and just the 2 brebas. The tree is small though, so I think it will produce a plentiful early crop.

Thanks for sharing, Gary, those look beautiful! Also kind of like a pair of mating penguins. How does the breba compare to the main crop, and to brebas from other varieties?

My two young Olympians that I got this year are just putting out tiny main crop figs now. Probably later than they would have if they'd been settled earlier, but hope at least one gets ripe.
      Sarah
      Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• figgary
        figgary commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Sarah, the breba is as good as the couple of main crop figs it had last year. It's different than, but nearly as enjoyable as the DK, RdB, Negronne, and Rob's GN that I've had so far this year.

• Sarahkt
        Sarahkt commented
        Editing a comment
        Yet another sign of your excessively good soil/compost mix.

Don't you think little gift bags of your organic mix would make a good party favor for your fig gathering next month? Like what gets handed out at children's parties, or baby showers.

I have five or six main crop forming on mine, but it died back to the ground last winter so no brebas yet, but that is good news if this is a breba heavy fig. Did it produce a lot of brebas?
      Brian
      Augusta, GA

Comment

• figgary
        figgary commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Brian, not a lot of brebas, but the tree is young. I think it will be a good producer as it gets older and larger.

I just tasted one. It was very dense and sweet even though it wasn't fully ripe. It had been hanging straight down for a couple of days so I thought it would have been fully ripe. Im going to wait a bit longer for the next one.
      Brian
      Augusta, GA

Comment

Working...
      X