X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving cuttings outside that are in clear cups and not alot of roots?

I have several cuttings that have decent roots and leaves in clear cups, should I leave them where they are or place them in black pots to protect the roots and move them outside to my shade tent?
    Zone 6b, downtown Ky.
    God, family, fireworks and figs.....amen
    Bless you folks! Jeff

I would protect those roots from the sun that’s what members taught me

Comment

Where are your cuttings now, inside? If so keep them in full shade outside. And yes cover those roots up. Black is not optimal, I would use normal solo cups.
      figs, peaches, apples, nectarines, pomegranates, cherry, pistachio, and pear tree grower 😄

Comment

• Rikerz
        Rikerz commented
        Editing a comment
        Inside right now but running out of room for them soon. They are in larger than solo cups, so I figured just drop them in a regular 1 gallon pot until they are ready to repot. My question really is, will they be better off outside getting some shaded sun rather than under lights inside (fluorescent)??

In my experience the roots want to grow in a dark place. I'd put those clear cups in some colored cups (protect from light) if you are moving them outside
      FAQ: https://tinyurl.com/ydy46as5
      Zone 7a Wish List: Florea, Nordland, White Triana, Danny's Delight, Abruzzi, Sal's EL, Gino's and Any Zone 5/6 Fig

Comment

When I've had plants that were doing well enough to be in sun a little but not ready to up-pot I've simply sat the clear container in the 1-gallon pot that would be its future home to block light from the roots. I paint my 1-gallon pots white or a similar light color so they don't absorb heat.

Comment

• Rikerz
          Rikerz commented
          Editing a comment
          Did that help to speed up the growth or hinder it?

• arachyd
          arachyd commented
          Editing a comment
          It seemed to help the plants a bit to have a little real sun instead of lights. I was more concerned with getting back some space indoors.

Put them outside in full shade. Cover the cup with aluminum foil to shield roots from sun.
        Did you enter your data in the Fig ripening Calculator?: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...zD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

• Rikerz
          Rikerz commented
          Editing a comment
          And how long does you folks think they would need to stay in full shade before I introduce them to a little full sun a little at a time?

• ramv
          ramv commented
          Editing a comment
          Depends on how well they are rooted. If well rooted, they can get into the Sun in about 1-2 weeks. If not, I would wait until well rooted.

• Rikerz
          Rikerz commented
          Editing a comment
          All the plants outside are well rooted, I have decided to wait on the others to get better rooter before I send them to the shade. The ones in the shade are looking pretty good.
      Working...
      X