X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kathleens Black 2015 Main Updated

This is a second year tree that was placed in ground in May 2015. The growth
    has been moderate and a dozen or so figs. This is one of my trees that gets
    about 5 hours of sun per day.

The taste is quiet bland but on the sweet side. It had very little flavor to describe.
    It did weigh in at 1.55 oz. About a 4 on a 1-10.

On 8/18/15 I tasted the last fig of the season for this tree. Unbelievable difference
    from the first fig. This fig was quiet sweet but I still can not describe its creamy flavor.
    Having said that, I still like what it is enough to rate it a 7+ for now. Below is wash
    Herman (VS) said about this fig tree.

"Kathleen Black is a robust specimen ,adapted to cold climates,a fig that is known to have been grown in Washington DC area,for a couple of hundreds years,and large ,Mission like looking trees are known to exist in Washington DC area.
    This tree must have been imported by some big shot ,In Wash. DC,and it made it there over the years it adapted to resist cold Winter.
    I grew,about 5+,Black Mission kind,like Texas Black Mission,Alex Black Mission,California Black Mission,Malta Black Mission,and a couple of Black Mission that turned out to be mediocre brown figs,and The only one that resist Winter here and ripe fruits in time is Kathleen Black.
    There are other black Fig that look like Kathleen Black some of good repute like Noire de Caromb,but I am content with Kathleen black as being the most adapted to the Atlantic coast,and in better climatic conditions will surpass all the others in producing large harvest of wonderful tasty fruits year after year.
    My tree now 6 years old has a main trunk of 5 inches diameter ,and it never died down,this trunk is the original it started with."
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4422.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	30656

Name:	IMG_4423.JPG
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	30657

Name:	IMG_4426.JPG
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	30658

Name:	IMG_4426.JPG
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	30659

Last edited by newnandawg; 08-18-2015, 05:13 PM.
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

You know in my yard kathleen black flavor is really good and this was my trees second season in ground also, with only about a dozen or so figs. I just want it to be a little more priductive, hopefully in time.
    Last edited by quackmaster; 07-22-2015, 06:48 PM.
    Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Don't complain guys! Mine was rooted in 2012 and went in ground Spring 2013. I still haven't tasted a fig from KB and this year it still hasn't set any tiny figs yet. We had two tough winters that nearly froze it to the ground each time but both times it grew back to a decent sized bush. It is currently a sprawling bush of about 5 feet tall and 7 feet in diameter. Here's hoping we have a mild winter and I finally get figs in 2016.
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Originally posted by Rewton View Post
        Don't complain guys! Mine was rooted in 2012 and went in ground Spring 2013. I still haven't tasted a fig from KB and this year it still hasn't set any tiny figs yet. We had two tough winters that nearly froze it to the ground each time but both times it grew back to a decent sized bush. It is currently a sprawling bush of about 5 feet tall and 7 feet in diameter. Here's hoping we have a mild winter and I finally get figs in 2016.
        Good luck with it. I have no complaints about flavor, its just weak on productivity, but hopefully for not much longer. By the way Steve, those cdd noir cuttings you sent me a couple seasons back rooted well for me, I kept one and put it in ground last fall but I haven't got any figs from it yet, but it is healthy so hopefully next season!
        Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

• newnandawg
          newnandawg commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve, in reference to your statement about putting figs in the ground delays their productivity. I would think
          that may have something to do with local conditions. Without a doubt, my trees respond much faster with
          vegetative and fruit production when they are put in ground.

• quackmaster
          quackmaster commented
          Editing a comment
          I've noticed with some of my trees that as soon as they went in ground they took off.

• Rewton
          Rewton commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe I have too much nitrogen in my soil but last year when I put my figs in the ground they put on lots of growth but didn't produce many figs. This year (even thought they nearly all froze to the ground) it looks like they will be more productive. Still, if you adjust for the amount of foliage, my container trees are more productive.

Nice looking fig. Like the size of it.
        Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Looks great Mike. Have you been getting much rain on your side of town? Maybe that is why the lack of flavor. It looks like a keeper with such good sized figs! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Chris, not hardly any rain. Only two lite showers in the last three weeks.
            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Mike, I'm sure you KB will know your socks off in the near future.
              Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

bump for update
                newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Thanks for the report. A minor quibble with Herman2's comments in post #1, Gene Hosey told me that his friend Kathleen purchased the tree a few years before from a nursery in Michigan. He was pretty sure it was called "Michigan Bulb Nursery". So it has been growing in Wash. DC for a decade or two but not hundreds of years.
                  Steve
                  D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                  WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

Good update
                    Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

My KB produced in the second year. This year (3rd) there are fruits, but not that many. I'm also finding them on the bland side. KB is a pretty fig, but right now, esp with the drought, it's been placed on the 'cull watch list'. There are just too many really good ones to keep a marginal performer.
                      SoCal, zone 10.
                      www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Working...
                      X