X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When should you give up on winter killed figs?

several weeks ago I dumped some potted figs in the chicken pen that had been in my over-wintering hoop house and didn't make it with our brutal weather last winter. this morning I was using the weed trimmer in the pen and found these two figs.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
    Buffalo WV Z6

Never give up .. And tis surprise to you is perfect example why no give up. As long as roots no freeze solid they always come back.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Maybe August?

Did these resprout from the root ball or low on the old trunks?

I had a similar thing happen to me last year after I didn't adequately protect some figs in the winter of 13/14.

I think it was June before they sprouted but it was long past when I thought they would come back.

Do you remember what they were?
      Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Figs are amazing. Glad they made it for you and hope you still know their identity.
        Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Calderona, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Izbat an Naj, Blava Campenera, Makedonia Dark, Souadi, LSU Jack Lily, Violet Sepor

Comment

One of them grew from the middle of the root ball and the other grew out of an old trunk. I wont know for sure what they are for a while but I think they were either LSU purple or Brown turkey
          Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
          Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

Working...
          X