X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gnats

Does anybody have any pictures of gnats, both the adult and larvae stages. My first year rooting and would like to know what to look for. Thanks
    Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Fungus Gnats?...
    http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05584.pdf
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Just took a picture of the larvae in one of my cups. I removed the cuttings and replanted with new promix/perlite and the cutting is much happier. This cutting has been languishing for quite a bit and was constantly being treated with Gnatrol. The cutting was rotted up to about the last 2-3 inches. Everything below was infested with these larvae. The larvae are the tiny white worm like things on the bag.
      Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Fungus gnats not only eat roots, they get into the main stem of the cutting as well. They eat the cambium layer under the bark and eat their way up. I have pulled up a cuttings that died from the gnats and examined what was left. I peeled back the bark and found many in there. A lot of ideas how to kill them with mixed reviews. I had limited results with Bti. I recently tried liquid sevin and sprayed the soil/rooting medium heavily and it seems to work very well. Need to get the sevin throughout all of the rooting medium. One application seemed to do the trick. I think that in the future, I will treat the medium with sevin before inserting my cuttings. You could mix in sevin dust in the medium and get the same results or put the dust on the top and water it in.

PPP
        PPP
        Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

Gotta kill the larvae before they do anymore damage!
          PPP
          Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05584.pdf
            Fungus gnat larvae usually are located in the top 2 to 3 inches of the growing medium, depending on moisture level. They
            primarily feed on fungi, algae and decaying plant matter. However, the larvae will feed on plant roots and leaves resting on the growing medium surface. Larvae develop rapidly and are fully grown in two to three weeks. They then pupate in or on the growing medium.
            Fungus Gnats move in when the conditions are right, over watering keeps the mix wet and starts the cuttings to rot, if gnats are present they move in and infest the wet soil and rotting cutting. Gnats eggs are also in some potting soils and organic mix ingredients (compost). when exposed to the right conditions they hatch.

Starting the cuttings in "sterile" mixes, keeping the mix aerated and a dry layer at the top of the container will help to reduce or eliminate infestation.
            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I have had good luck staying on top of them by keeping a 'Mosquito Dunk' in the top of my water containers, which I keep full until needed. Add a fresh one every couple weeks.
              I did have some gnats come in from outside with infested potting mix, they were bad for awhile, then I surface treated some containers with 'Mosquito Bits' and started the regimen with the 'dunks',and although I still see a very occasional gnat, they don't seem to be affecting my plants. I also bottom water only. I wish I could claim complete success, but this seems have worked okay for me.
              Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
              Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

I use a three prong approach. I have around twenty carnivorous plants scattered about the plants that have been potted up. I also only
                water from the bottom and each time it is with a mixture of Gnatrol. This has worked very well for me the last two years.
                newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Gnat larvae are little maggots.
                  USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

All of my cuttings and plants regardless of what they are planted in has 3 inches of pure perlite or sand over it with apple cider vinegar trap in corner of box for indoor. Also have same in one pot with pea gravel instead of perlite and under the first layer of gravel I put sticky trap and water from bottom.
                    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Are gnats also known as fruit flies or is this an entire different critter?
                      Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

Dave,
                        Fungus Gnats and Fruit Flies are entirely different critters.
                        Taverna78, have you had luck attracting fungus gnats with apple cider vinegar? My experience, also reported by others, is that the adults just aren't attracted to it the way fruit flies are.
                        Jim
                        Jim -- Central NJ, Zone 6b

Comment

Working...
                        X