X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New varieties you look forward to tasting in 2015

The anticipation of trying new flavor every year is very exciting. What new varieties are you looking forward to trying this year?
    If I'm lucky, I may get to experience the following:
    • I-258
    • Visilika Sika
    • De La Senyora

Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Oh man, that's a long list. I expect to finally get a taste of RdB, Nero600m, Black Bethlehem, and Sweet George (especially breba).

I wouldn't complain if this years rooting of Adriatic JH yields fruit, I wouldn't complain one bit. I sampled one last year but it could have used a few more days.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

I've yet to try Adriatic JH but always hear how awesome it is. I recently read comments on how it is a must-have and it ranks with the highest. I want to say I read this from one of Herman's posts.
      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• Kelby
        Kelby commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, herman2 raves about it. He said the only comparable dark fig is I-258. It's hardy for him and fruited after being killed back by the dreaded vortex.

I can't wait for the Black Madeira from JFE, hope it's a real one. Would love to get a taste of CDD Blanc, Vista, Dark Portugese and Black Greek. Ok, so I haven't tasted many and would love to taste all that I have collected so far, maybe this year! Von
      Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

I have 44 varieties I either rooted, received in trade or was given as a gift last year, and I expect to get to try most if not all this year. I am looking forward to trying them all. I only got figs on 4 of them last year, and just 2 were actually good - a VdB 2 yr old plant gave me one good fig and Grasa's Unknown Seattle Purple produced one fig that was even better and it was on a plant just rooted last spring and it finished ripening under plant lights. That is the one I am looking forward to most, ripening outdoors.
        Ed
        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

I think I"ve tasted all of my figs except for a couple very new ones. What I would really like is to have significant numbers of them. More than just a taste. Last year the raccoons were just terrible in getting figs before they ripened fully.

I have a very young Agrigento, which is supposed to be better than Atreano (which I find to be rather bland).
          SoCal, zone 10.
          www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

My first home-grown one!
            Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
            Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

Other than my Sweet George, they are all new to me. So I am exited to taste any and every fig that I can!
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

I want to taste my unknown Carini, JH Adriatic, Smith, VDB, Olympian, and RDB the most. My Olympian is very young and I don't think it gave me it's full taste profile. The two I want to taste more than the others are Smith and JH Adriatic in that order.
                Brian
                Carolina Zone 7b/8a Wanted: Col De Dame

Comment

I am anxious to taste the Black Madiera, If it tastes like Preto, then I would try to duplicate the Madiera. because my Preto is slow....very slow.

Comment

Originally posted by armando93223 View Post
                    I am anxious to taste the Black Madiera, If it tastes like Preto, then I would try to duplicate the Madiera. because my Preto is slow....very slow.
                    I'm surprised Preto is slow for you. All three of my 2nd year Pretos did very well last year. They were grown in SIPs though. Pro-Mix BX was the mix I was using, along with Osmocote.
                    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Both Blk Madeira and Preto went dormant with figs on them last year. They are the two I am looking forward to seeing if they will ripen this year. I should get a few figs on Smith, as well.
                      Littleton, CO (zone 5b) - In Containers
                      N.E. of Austin, TX (zone 8b)- In Ground.

Comment

My san Pedro's Dauphine and Macca.
                        My italian Rosselino, Salam and Callara.
                        They'll all be in their second year so i'm excited to see some fruit.
                        Then there's a bunch of cuttings i started last october that have grown well since and likely give me a few figs this fall.
                        Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
                        Zone 8B

Comment

I am waiting to try Panachee (I've tasted store-bought), Nero 600m, Sal's, mongibello, 2 unknowns, Improved Celeste, and Pajarera And even more next year!
                          Rafael
                          Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

I'm looking forward to tasting adriatic jh, CdDB, and nero600M. I cant wait to start seeing some green growth.
                            ​It's been another crappy winter here in nj.

Comment

Black Madeira. Last year it was not good at all. So much hype was for nothing. If it is going to be at least half as good as a Unk. Pastilliere, I will keep it
                              USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: De la Roca, Lampeira Prush, Bass’ Favorite Fig, Raspberry Tart, Cavaliere

Comment

All my 1 yr old trees from my UCD cuttings last year (Conadria, Tena, 187-25) and my 2nd and 3rd yr trees from Logee's (Petit Negri, Ischia Green and Desert King) that I protected well this winter.

Also the figs from my largest fig tree (which i'll need help to identify) now that I know how to better care for it.
                                Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Black Madeira
                                  Figo Preto/Fico Preto
                                  CdDN
                                  Nero 600m
                                  Smith
                                  JH Adriatic

But there are lots of others I'm almost as excited about, like RdB, Black Mission NL, Kathleen's Black, Malta Black, etc, etc.

Comment

I would be very happy tasting my avatar...
                                    Frank Tallahasee 8B
                                    North Florida Figs

Comment

• FMD
                                      FMD commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Holy Crap, Rob! Every time you post a picture of PT, it's grown another 6 inches! Hershell, that plant in from a cutting started last November.

• Rob Ster 010
                                      Rob Ster 010 commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      60 cm+ of new healthy growth.
                                      Out of the 5 cultivars in my tent that were started in roughly the same 4 weeks PT is by far the most vigorous.
                                      Twice the size of any other variety i rooted.

• FMD
                                      FMD commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Rob, what happened to the nub? Figlet or shoot?

Whoa, geez! Where to start? Black Madeira, for sure. Then Raspberry Latte, for obvious reasons. Then of course RdB and VdB. Black Ischia Noir de Caromb, too. Actually, anything right about now
                                    Faith, family, friends and figs. (Not necessarily in that order).

Comment

My I-258 and Visilisa sika,last year sika was outstanding!!

Comment

Working...
                                      X