X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longue d'Aout

Let's talk about another great variety that doesn't get too much press, Longue d'Aout. Likely the hardiest French fig, up there with Ronde de Bordeaux, it's name translates to 'Long of August'. Reportedly it was planted at Versailles in the 1700's, so it has been around for a very long time.

It sets a unique breba crop. The fruits are very large and long, similar to a banana with a light red interior that ripen in July. The brebas are not very good quality, unfortunately. The main crop figs are not as large, they are round but still of good size with good flavor and sweetness. Main crop ripens end of August through October.

They bear very well in wet weather and rain, but do lose some sweetness. According to Baud they dislike heavy soil more than other varieties. It is capable of fruiting after being killed to the ground, as it did in NJ and VA after the winter of 2013/2014. I find the leaves quite attractive with a serrated margin, even on young cuttings.

It has many synonyms and is most likely the same as or very similar to: Nordland, Niagara Black, Melanzana Merdascola, Jerusalem, and Slocan.

Does anyone have pictures to share of fruit?

I was given one at a friends house tasting last summer, but unfortunately my daughter enjoyed most of it...I just got a tasty crumb!
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

My Plant I obtained as LDA has not fruited yet. I have one that fruited last year that I received as MBVS (but is surely not) that I have Pics of that sure appears that LDA is a possibility but I hesitate to post them as I it might just muddle the ID. It was a very tasty fig. Rich and almost meat like texture, very firm
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      If I successfully root any extra you're welcome to one in the spring, mine are from Frank down below.

• strudeldog
      strudeldog commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kelby I have LDA just not fruited yet. I am just not sure this mislabeled MVBS I have is LDA. I ltooks dead on to Arts posted below. I posted some Pics on F4f last year and concurred with my thoughts it could very well be. I am curious to compare when my LDA and Nordland fruit.

Oh yea!

Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Frank!

Here's what the breba look like.
    Art
    Western Pa -6a

Comment

• Kelby
      Kelby commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Art!

• ofon
      ofon commented
      Editing a comment
      these look pretty good...that's considered low quality?

Both the Breba and main fruit looks great, can't wait to taste a few this year.
    Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Well Von come visit again and time this one correctly. mgg

Comment

Here's my young LdA to show it's leaf shape, I think it's pretty neat.
        SE PA
        Zone 6

Comment

• eboone
          eboone commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a healthy looking young'un Kelby

• Kelby
          Kelby commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Ed

It is truly amazing that all of the fig cultivars have different leafs. It strikes me to being similar to dogs, the domesticated dog "Canis Familiaris" is one (Species) with each (Breed) sharing 99.8% of there DNA. That's right, there is only a 0.20% difference to DNA between all dog breeds, so that makes wonder how close is the DNA of the various fig Cultivars?
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• Yeehova
          Yeehova commented
          Editing a comment
          That is true unless you ask my wife. She can't tell one from the other. I think you have to care about the topic at hand.

Nice plant Kelby, can't wait to hear if your plant produces this year. I have one a little smaller than that.

Michael, will time my visit a little better this coming season.
        Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

I've seen this mentioned before, but it is been confirmed LDA is the same as Nordland?

Comment

• zone5figger
            zone5figger commented
            Editing a comment
            ...and Niagara Black, too?

• Kelby
            Kelby commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it was herman2 that said this, they all have similar traits. I'm not the expert though!

Thanks Kelby, I love all the info you provide.
          Phil
          Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Great, glad you like it Phil! I'll keep posting these threads then. I enjoy the detective work needed and it's great to see everyone's input.
            SE PA
            Zone 6

Comment

I remmeber Herman mentioning that. I have both my LDA is older and bigger. I try not to keep the same figs with different names. I guess I'll see this spring if they both live. All my trees are still in a storage unit...

Comment

Longue d'Aout, like LSU Tiger, was under the radar here until this year. Now I would rank it easily as a top ten fig for short seasons, and one of only two or three light figs I would currently include in a top ten. LDA and Brooklyn White are the two largest of that top ten, as light figs tend to be larger than dark figs in general.

So far here, LDA is by far the earliest ripening of the green/red figs, as I consider it (or "Adriatic") (assuming one does not count Conadria which can be very green red but which can tend toward yellow and some honey and watery). Longue d'Aout skin can blush dark but scarcely did here. LDA has a very firm pulp and strong structure as many have noted.

LDA is a very rustic looking fig on the outside. A sizable thick fleshy fig somewhat similar to Brooklyn White in that way though not as readily sweet. Strawberry red on the inside. I could see LDA becoming a big part of people's core dooryard orchards in short growing seasons, assuming the fruit is not being grown for shiny appearance, which this cultivar lacks.
                Tony WV 6b
                https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Interesting how figs are, LdA is fig that I just keep giving another year based off of reputation. It better turn around big-time, but I'm still giving it 2 more years. If I get rid of it at that point it will be the oldest fig I've ever given the axe at 5 1/2 yrs. It put on a fair amount of growth this year without many figs, so I'm expecting a large breba crop next season. There are actually significant number of trees that I'm expecting that from next season, I do really enjoy figs in August.
                  Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                  Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

One of our favorite trees

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01009.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	116484
                    Wish List -

Comment

• Atlatl
                      Atlatl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Dang

My favorite this year easily. Still bearing here in zone 5.
                    Ballston Spa NY zone 5A

Comment

Definitely, looking for cuttings later on this fall. Great looking fig, thanks for sharing post.

Comment

I got a LDA, a Niagara Black, and a Cucumber all rooted this past year. Cucumber is another variety reportedly the same. Leaves on all three were identical. The Niagara Black for some reason outgrew it's kin, and I got one beautiful large fruit from it that looked like Dave's (perhaps a bit darker shading). Very unique flavor, very good. Looking forward to more next year.
                        Ed
                        SW PA zone 6a

Comment

I started by growing Nordland then I grew Long D'Aout, and donated it to my community garden. I did not see any difference between the two fruits having obtained the trees from totally different sources.
                          Sas North Austin, TX Zone 8B

Comment

It's one of my favorite fig , it's one of the most productive trees That I have, I have three of them.😊

Comment

I agree. One of my favorites due to size, reliability, and flavor.
                              Last edited by F. Bennett; 10-09-2016, 10:34 PM.
                              Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Great pics, Frank and looks like a great fig! Looking forward to growing this baby!
                                Tony - Zone 6A
                                WL- Good Health, a 60 lb Striped Bass, a Boone and Crockett Typical Buck, bushels of ripe Black Madeira figs, bushels of ripe Hachiya and other tasty Diospyros Kaki Persimmons

Comment

• F. Bennett
                                  F. Bennett commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thank, Tony. I'm looking forward to your pics next year!

I read somewhere that there were different Longue D’Aout types? One included in that grouping was Pellegrino. How many varieties are considered Longue types and do they differ much in flavor and performance? I have very limited space, but would love to try a Longue type fig at some point and was hoping to choose wisely!

Comment

My avatar pic is of 2 brebas on one of my LdAs this year this was a few weeks ago.All my second year plants are fruit budded at each leaf node. Kelby I think these came from you in 2016.
                                  Very vigorous for me with heavy feed,potted in pine bark mix
                                  Last year had a breba that came in at 140 gms.

Comment

Working...
                                  X