X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Hardy main crop 07/24/2015.

Well the wait is over. This is the first main crop fig to ripen on all my trees for 2015. It was bought as a growing cutting on spring of 2014 from Home Depot for $9,98 and produced quite a few figs during that first season. The figs were good and very promising . This second season the tree is planted in a 5 gal bucket in a Vigoro potting mix with about a half a cup of lime sprinkled on top of the mulch. I have watered it religiously every night for the past three months and fed it with MG liquid plant and veg, all purpose fertilizer every two to three weeks.
    The first fig started changing color and swelling just two days ago and was ready to be picked today. That is pretty quick in my experience but I'm sure it has to do with the very hot weather these past few days. As expected ,it tasted way better than last year ,very mellow ,sweet enough with an outstanding figgy flavor. If I would have to grow only one tree this one would be on the " to chose from " list. 9 out of 10 for taste and 10 out of ten for appearance !

And the pics. Sorry ,my bad.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

I can't wait! Mine should be ready starting next week!
      Brian
      Augusta, GA

Comment

• Chrisk
        Chrisk commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh man. I could not believe they turned so quick . Last week they looked like small olives and now .... Good times Brian. I hope yours taste as good or better!

I have to agree. At LSU was the first time I had sampled a hardy Chicago and I knew right away that I would be adding it to my list of must haves.
      Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

• Chrisk
        Chrisk commented
        Editing a comment
        Very true Randall. The one I tasted there was excellent.

A fig everyone should have. Very underrated.
      Congrats Chris.
      Art
      Western Pa -6a

Comment

• Chrisk
        Chrisk commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Art. I'm definitely duplicating this one. It is also an excellent fig for container growing.

Looks really good.
      Jennings, Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9a

Comment

Congratulations, it looks delcious. I keep looking at mine and willing them to start to swell but so far but no dice.
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Chris that's great I am glad for you, the first of many crops to come! Mine came from California and appears to be rather unhealthy. I may still be able to enjoy some later this year.
          Rafael
          Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• Chrisk
            Chrisk commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Rafael! Sorry to hear that yours still struggles. I actually bought two last year and I gifted one of them to a friend but he does not take care of it! Last I saw it a couple of weeks ago, full of figs but all yellow and dried up! Shame! I could have given it to someone that appreciated it more!

Chris,
          Congrats, thanks for sharing the info and photos...
          Hardy Chicago was my taste standard when I first started growing fig trees.
          My Hardy Chicago was purchased from Lowes and is healthy, its just now ripening its breba crop and main crop is still 3 to 4 weeks away.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• Chrisk
            Chrisk commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Pete! Can't wait to c photos of the Brebas! Thanks for sharing!

LSU Day was my first taste of this one also. Blew me away. I have two
          in route now. It was totally of my radar. A really nice surprise.
          Pine Prairie, LA 8B

Comment

• Chrisk
            Chrisk commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed! Where from if I may? Great one to have!

Mine has two figs on it that I know well ripen. But I went out today and it has figlets poping out everywhere. I know some said second week of July would be the deadline on figs ripening. But I was gone all week to Columbus to take the baby to the doctor.. So they could've started last week idk.. Do you think I should pinch them or do you think they will ripen anyway.
          Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

They will be fine, a week will not make such a big difference. Last year it was ripening figs into late October. I hope your Baby is ok.

Comment

It was just mostly testing this time we go up every month. We got a great report. All test came back good so we are so happy. Thanks so much..
              Kentucky Zone 6b

Comment

• Chrisk
                Chrisk commented
                Editing a comment
                That's great news Erick. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

Oh, boy. That is one good looking fig.

My HC arrived yesterday from EL along with a Texas BA-1. The HC has a dime size fig on it. From now to Oct 31 is 99 days, maybe a ripe HC. Here is hoping.
              Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• Chrisk
                Chrisk commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Jerry. You got a couple of very cool trees. I'm sure you'll get to taste it. Make sure you post a pic before you take that first bite !

• Rafaelissimmo
                Rafaelissimmo commented
                Editing a comment
                99 days is too much. 75-80.

It's a early ripener, right? About 90 days from emergence to ripening?

I have an air layer coming soon. Hope to try them next year.
              Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Calderona, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Izbat an Naj, Blava Campenera, Makedonia Dark, Souadi, LSU Jack Lily, Violet Sepor

Comment

Chris
                I found mine on ebay. 2 bareroot and cheep. I know better, expecially in this heat. About 20 bucks with shipping. If they don't make it I'll get a better plant from a more reputable soarce. Needed a fix like a junkie. I swear these figs get in my head and I actually can't sleep sometime.
                Last edited by jerrybrother83; 07-24-2015, 09:37 PM.
                Pine Prairie, LA 8B

Comment

Chris, glad to hear about the Chicago Hardy! I have five of them growing in 5 gallon buckets. Out of all the varieties I have, they seem to be the most vigorous and easy to please. Thanks so much for posting this. This is my first year growing figs and now I'm even more excited about my Chicago Hardy.
                  Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

• Chrisk
                    Chrisk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Having a CH in your collection is a great thing. Having five on your first year growing figs!!!!!! Alma , nothing short of outstanding. You will get lots and lots of very nice figs very soon. Congrats .

• Chrisk
                    Chrisk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh , pics of your babies please!

One of the great things about Hardy Chicago is that it will ripen figs that taste good even if the highs are in the mid 60s. It takes longer to ripen figs at those temps but I got ripe figs up until the first hard frost in late Oct.
                  Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Chris, as requested (Chicago Hardy#5,#2,#3,#7&#1):

No figs this year (??) for the Hardy Chicago, unfortunately. The only first year figs that want to put out are Negronne (2) and Saratoga/Chico (plenty).
                    Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

• Chrisk
                      Chrisk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Very healthy looking trees. Well done and thanks for sharing. You will get plenty next year and time goes buy us quicker than we can handle so just hang in there. Step one acomplished! Is that RDB on the right back of the second photo? Looks awesome also.

Yeah, Chris. Great eye! I have 4 of those. Unfortunately, I potted them up a bit later than I should have. I lost a bit of root mass in the process and now I get to see them wilt every day. It's heartbreaking.
                    Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

Attached is a photo of a Hardy Chicago breba, they've been ripening slowly, one at a time over the past weeks. This one had the darkest exterior to date, but has not developed the flavors of main crop figs, its mildly sweet without any complex flavors or seed crunch. It probably could have stayed for another two days, but severe thunderstorm are forecasted and I decided to pick it early.
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Chrisk
                        Chrisk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looks great Pete. I have yet to see any brebas from mine. It's only two years old and I sent all three tip cuttings to forum friends. It was little more than a stump this past spring but it grew to three feet tall in no time and popped about 20 main crop figs. It might get a second growth spurt now that all the figs are gone. Awesome variety.

I have a problem with picking them too early. Good thing they taste good either way. This fig is definitely a winner.
                      Brian
                      Augusta, GA

Comment

• Chrisk
                        Chrisk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Dear Brian. Get some organza bags and start wrapping them as they start to swell. They work great with bugs and birds. Who knows, they might keep predator #1 at bay at least until they get ripe enough!!! Lol.
                        But for real now, once you try the first perfectly ripe one.... It's well worth the wait !

Is fig referred to as "Chicago" the same as the Hardy Chicago discussed here?
                      Chauqg Zone 6b North of Pittsburgh

Comment

• chuckell
                        chuckell commented
                        Editing a comment
                        yes

I have seen them called Hardy Chicago, and Chicago Hardy so far. They grow like crazy, and air layer very easily. Late winter, I usually have a few dormant ones available.
                      Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

Just thought I'd share a few more photos of a fully ripe Hardy Chicago breba that developed the jammy sweet interior and an almost fully ripe breba which has developed a good sweet flavor but has a slight tart after taste, its 1 or 2 days early and not fully ripe. These were picked today and there are several more swelling on the tree.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

Working...
                        X