X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seedlings

They are almost one year old and a few have fruit. I would like to thank Igor for being generous enough to send seed. I will start planting more tomorrow.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

That would be great if they are edible!

Comment

Remember, I'm on the other side of the river. I'm shooting for capri's so I will have enough to sustain wasp. But I wouldn't complain about another common if it was good.
      Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Pretty cool! Hope they turn out to be good common figs. Have you thought of names yet? Herpshell black/white?
        Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Bordissot Blanca Negra, Rubado

Comment

• Hershell
          Hershell commented
          Editing a comment
          I couldn't remember how to spell that so I would name one in honor on our own mr. WILLIS and be sure to send cuttings to every member.

Once you have enough capri's to support a population of wasps, do you believe they will survive the winter?
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

That is lot figs for plants under a year. How normal is it for rooted cuttings to bear within a year?
          Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• Hershell
            Hershell commented
            Editing a comment
            I have several rooted cuttings under a year old with figs.

• don_sanders
            don_sanders commented
            Editing a comment
            4 of 7 trees that I started rooting in October/November have figs forming on them now. About 40 figs total. Sadly, I'm not sure that any have time to ripen. I was able to get one ripe one a couple weeks ago that emerged in March.

• rusty hooks
            rusty hooks commented
            Editing a comment
            about 30% of this years starts have figs on them here...many of those have multiples and a couple threw doubles...Me thinks its the food

Just for fun a couple days I sowed fig seeds I collected from some dried figs just to see if they would sprout.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

I'm planning on growing a few capris In each greenhouse and in a few micro climates around buildings for protection from the cold. Im hoping some could make it through but it's not known how cold they will survive and does the humidity or rain affect them.

Comment

Awesome!!! Keeping my fingers crossed.
              Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Congratulations, Hershell!! I think you set a record. They definitely love the tender care you provide and reward you with this awesome figgy growth
                The critters are eating everything like mad this year because of the drought since figs have moisture and I have many more seeds from the damaged ripe rigs, in case someone wants to play god like Hershell, lol

What percentage of your seedlings is fruiting?
                USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Raspberry Tart, Boysenberry Blush

Comment

• Hershell
                  Hershell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Only two out of eighty or so. The rain has set them back tremendously. I can't even keep fertilize to them because it gets washed away. Many have drowned so I will know to plant them on raised beds next year.

Looks good Hershell. I hope you succeed in your goal. It would be interesting to hear from other fig growers in your area once the wasps are migrating. I can hear them now "my fruit used to take good but now they taste great"
                Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• Hershell
                  Hershell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My question would anyone notice seedlings growing from seed spread by birds. Probably very few people are that observant.
              Working...
              X