X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best growing first year trees

These are the clear champs for my new starts. On the left is Lyndhurst White and on the right is Unk. Adriatic G. They are in 3 gallon buckets, which are about 12" deep. Each tree is over 5 ft tall from soil level.

What are your best starts of this year?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Phil
    Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Looking good! My is by far Atreano, don't have a recent picture but it must be 4' tall and wide with 5 strong stems.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

Attilio Purple. It is in ground, about 4 ft tall and 4 ft wide. Have eaten 6 figs with a few more to go.
      newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Lyndhurst White and Ronde de Bordeaux have been the strongest growers for me. One LW is passing 6 ft, and the others are at about 5.5 ft from soil level.

Of the tallest trees, from left to right: 1 RdB, and 2 Lyndhurst White.
        Johnny
        Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

• drphil69
          drphil69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice!

Nice work, growers! RDB and Osborne Prolific are my most vigorous, Nero 600m not far behind and pushing figlets.
        A second year MBVS is now my biggest overall at around 5.5 ft, and it has formed into a solid tree with 5 well space branches and figs.
        Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
        Wishlist- earliest maincrop varieties

Comment

Wow that is amazing growth. I Wonder if the long dormancy period contributes to this quick growth? Here in fresno it is usually hot which stresses the plants Roots and growth. Maybe there is so much stored energy from long dormancy that this is why this accelerated growth happens?

Comment

• drphil69
            drphil69 commented
            Editing a comment
            The ones I showed are in their first leaf... so they have never gone dormant.

If the roots get hot growth will slow. I've read optimum root temp around 80F. Air temps here rarely above 90F, nights in the 70s.

I wonder why they grow so fast in other areas as well. I have a long dormant period, very long with my altitude.

Where some measure growth in feet, here is growth is measured in inches. My best grower this year is Papa Jon from PFTP, and it has rocketed to a whopping 6" of growth.

All are in 4 gallon or larger and are fertilized regularly. Cultivar makes no difference.
          Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

IMO, the reason for fast healthy growth is that the trees are provided with sufficient moisture, nutrients and cooler root temperatures to allow uninterrupted growth, it also helps to train as a single stem for the first season.

I've had 5 - 7 feet of growth in several cultivars in their 1st season, but they were all trained as single stem and provided with a well aerated mix, balanced available nutrients (water soluble and minerals) and constant watering. There are no standouts in this year's batch of cuttings, but most of my cuttings are only about 2 months old.
            Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• drphil69
              drphil69 commented
              Editing a comment
              I learned this from you Pete! Single stem, and my trees are now on drip irrigation and watered 4x per day for 5 minutes each time. Monthly doses of GardenTone, dolomite limestone, and ironite, and MG every other week ( all ferts stopped as of now to reduce green growth going into fall). However, these 2 stand out, the rest of my starts are about 2-3ft from soil line.

My trees have healthy growth, just not fast. They are provided with ample moisture and the pots are sheltered from direct sun and heat. Several are single stem, many are multi stem, all grow at the same rate.

I have tried several soil mixes and all yields the same results. And yes, they receive balanced water soluble nutrients.

When I visit others in my area, or see pics of there trees, I see the same slow (in comparison to others) growth. I've been thinking our altitude has a lot to do with it. Trees in general grow slower and do not get as tall here.
            Last edited by COGardener; 07-26-2015, 02:59 PM.
            Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• AscPete
              AscPete commented
              Editing a comment
              Its possible that altitude may be an issue, but my guess is that temperature may be a large factor. The warmer the initial growing conditions the faster the cuttings callus, develop, harden and start 'growing'.
              Just a guess...

• COGardener
              COGardener commented
              Editing a comment
              As long as they are growing, happy and fruiting.... I'm happy! If it takes longer... that fine. I'm still happy, I'll just ignore the rapid growth you all get!

Giuseppe's I-258???? Clocks in at just over 4 ft and counting, despite severe fmv disease.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
            Rafael
            Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• drphil69
              drphil69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice!

For me Ponte Tresa and Bordissot Verda.
            Got 2 PT's and 3 B.V's and they're all the same size, between 5 and 6 feet.
            Here's a pic of the PT's.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
            Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
            Zone 8B

Comment

• drphil69
              drphil69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking good!

Having sunshine in June and first half of July would have helped - my best grower is Unknown Carini from F. Bennett, in a 5g SIP, about 32 inches tall. Has had constant moisture, regular fertilizer, cool roots, and is a single stem - just lack of adequate sun.
            Ed
            SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Best grower this season, LSU Gold in a 5 gallon single bucket SIP (~ 3-1/2 gallons of potting mix and ~1-1/2 gallon reservoir), before and after photos, its now almost a foot taller. The sucker can be seen in the first photo as a leaf emerging from the mulch (soil) of the 1 gallon pot.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

My best growers are Galicia negra 5 foot and malta black 3.5 foot.

Comment

Working...
                X