X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay figs and overseas buyers

In my recent auctions I had a buyer bidding on some of my figs and when I looked at where he was from it said Thailand.
    I quickly sent the customer a message asking if he had a U.S. address and if not then to retract his bid right away.

He sent a response saying he has a U.S. address.
    I said thank you and good luck.
    He won two of my auctions and I waited to get paid but I was not going to rush anything. We later had a few more messages back and forth and all seemed well.
    We even worked out a deal on another fig behind closed doors but through ebay. I did not want to upset ebay since we were doing this through their site. So I went on to list it and he sent me an offer and I accepted. It was planned this way. So no upsetting ebay.
    All in all his total came to $638 for all three plants and I told him I was not rushing him but I do leave early on Mondays so if he wants to get them shipped on Monday he needs to pay me and give me the U.S. address asap.
    He then asked if I can ship directly to Thailand and that he does it all the time it is very easy and even told me what to do.
    I responded by saying I will not ship outside the U.S. and it is illegal. I asked what happened to his U.S. address and he respnded by saying he's still waiting on his friend to give it to him.
    Now you would think he would've had it by now right?
    I sent him three more messages and it appeared I was beating on a dead horse. I canceled the orders, blocked him and reported him.
    It's not so much about the money, I can simply give the last bidders a 2nd chance offer and possibly get them to agree to it. Or I can simply re-list them. Or I can hold on to them. I am not desperate for money.
    It's the bs this guy put me through to try and to entice me to do illegal stuff. Not enough money in the world that will get me to do what he wanted me to.

Thank you very much, I have now vented.

At this point, nothing that happens on eBay surprises me.

It's a shame that you spent all of that time to set up the auctions and negotiate an additional deal. Then have to deal with a scammer.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

It's all good, Scott.

This one wasn't meant for me. I re-listed them. I could get more, or I could get less. What ever it is I will be satisfied with it.

Comment

Agreed.

Yet the frustration and loss in time alone.
        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Scott,
          I already sold the 3rd one in line to a friend. Not as much as I did originally but I'm good.
          The other ones will go too. Just another week, bro

Comment

• Hershell
            Hershell commented
            Editing a comment
            You sold one to a friend? Getting weak in your old age are you?

• Rafed
            Rafed commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL Hershell
            We're all friends here. But I know where you're getting at.

Great outlook Rafed. I'm sure they will sell fast.

Comment

Always looking forward to the next day.

Comment

Indeed!

Comment

I'm dealing with probably the same person. Same crap

Comment

That stinks, Rafed. At least you're still able to move the plants!

A question on the topic...if someone did sell a plant and send to Thailand (or anywhere), would there be any potential legal liability for the sender? My understanding is it's generally the importer who would be in trouble if it's illegal in their locale. Obviously there is financial risk if the buyer demanded a refund on eBay, they would likely get it.

I am NOT condoning sending plants overseas and would never do it myself, FYI. Just curious.
                  https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
                  SE PA
                  Zone 6

Comment

Kelby,

I doubt the US government really cares or gives the outgoing mail a second look. Incoming is a different story of course and that is where the VAST majority of their limited resources are spent.
                    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• Kelby
                      Kelby commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I figured as much.

Export no American fig! We only welcome illegal immigrant figs! All figs are welcome we have free health care and food for all that make it over the boarder.
                    Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

• m5allen
                      m5allen commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hilarious. Seems we do a better job catching illegal immigrant figs than actual illegal immigrants.

Funny S... !
                    Pine Prairie, LA 8B

Comment

Yeah last time a fig got imported from Turkey I had a usda officer knocking on my door.
                      Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
                      Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

• Whiterk
                        Whiterk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Did they take all of your figs? What happened?

• AmericanFigLover
                        AmericanFigLover commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes they did take them. The guy was nice and was respectful. If I fought him he just could have came back the police and a warrant since I did break the law. I just gave them up. I sure wasn't worth getting in more trouble. My bosses wouldn't have like that.

A few years back when I first started out with figs I made the mistake of buying some violet de solies cuttings on ebay with out checking to see where the seller was located, well they was from China and after getting the letter from the USDA I make sure I'm a lot more careful. I guess some people take the chance hoping they can get away with it.
                      Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Is it possible to block all people from bidding who have an address that's out of country? Just curious.
                        Greg, Maine, zone 5. Wish List: Green Michurinska

Comment

Hi Rafed
                          Tell us your eBay name or put up a link to one of the auctions. I'm sure we would all love to see what you're selling
                          Coop

Comment

Thanks, Kevin

Coop,
                          Only reason why I'm selling off most of my collection is because I'm moving.
                          This collection took me quite a while to build and put lots of tlc to them. So yes, plenty to love.
                          But at the end of the day I had to do what's best for the family, not just for my self. Plenty of other houses available but this one is just right.

I think I'm doing the right thing.

Comment

Good luck with your sales.
                            Hope everything goes smoothly from here on.

Doug

Comment

Rafed, could post the ebay id of the person you blocked so others of us can avoid this headache?
                              Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

I was wondering how those french figs swim or fly across the ocean without a passport. Since Florida is a lovely place for illegals to settle, May I offer my humble home as shelter

Comment

Good luck Rafed. You are a kind gentleman, it is hard getting rid of our prized figs, but in the end, they are just extra plants

Comment

Rafed,I will take care of your bordissot negra.thanks,Jeremy

Comment

I always put United States only when I list, but people still try, I had 1 Friday that tried to get an invoice from me, but the person was from Malaysia
                                      Hi my name is Art. I buy fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs-so I can sell more figs-so I can buy more fig cuttings-so I can grow more figs....

Comment

Working...
                                      X