X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Fig Tree Orchard.

Ciao everyone,
    So Tis weekend I move 40 fig tree from in front my home that were piled on top of each other's in my flower bed to our farm. We have 5 of each...pear,peach and apple trees 2 plum trees, 4 different grapes and now 40 fig in ground potted.
    Because is late in season and trees are small enough we leave in pots to store easily Tis come winter. Then in spring we will put all back in ground with no pot where they will remain as long as they live.
    We are now working on irrigation system and try to finish green house. But the most important was to get trees established first. The water system and green house will finish fast because we have all we need to finish.
    We use power augur with 12'inch bit and spaced them all evenly. I use 1 inch wood boar bit to make holes in sides of pots to free the roots and back filled and saturated the ground. The ground here is very rocky and clay/soil mix so is perfect to grow fig. Hopefully next year I can take photos of many fig for everyone. I post better photo when grass is cut and the pots have been mulched so consider these progress photos I still have about 20 1gal pots that need to be potted up and planted but I run out of energy Tis weekend. I post better photo soon.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 9 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy ๐Ÿ‘ผ๐Ÿผ.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Nice work!
    Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Looks great Mike!
      Hope they all survive the winters! You are blessed with a good piece of land to work with, just need a better fig climate
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Grazie! Actually the summer climate is very good for fig. (I think) they are growing very very fast! The winter is easy if you known how to put them to sleep correctly safe from freeze. Tis year my brother and I only will burry the trees. Not like last winter and rabbit destroy everything.

Comment

I'm envious Mike, I wish I had land like that for a farm/orchard. Maybe one day ...
          Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

Thanks for posting, you cheated with the auger machine. I've never seen one of those, neat!
            Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Grazie Kevin,
              trust me. Is nice to have land. But more land mean more trees mean more work. A farm is a lot of work. Especially if you work full time job and then must work on farm on weekend and free time if you want it to be successful. I spend all weekend there and now back at my job and feel like I never have chance to even breathe.... I am exausted and soar. But thank you for you kind worlds.

Randall,
              Tis ground is very hard clay, stone and soil.... I would still be digging my first hole if I was use shovel.... AhahHhA

Comment

very nice
                Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
                Buffalo WV Z6

Comment

Looks great Mike! !! That's a lot of work.
                  Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

โ€œThough the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.โ€ โ€“ Bill Mollison

Comment

Grazie. You correct on that my friend.

Comment

Very nice. Are you planning to bury them to protect them each winter?
                      Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Calderona, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Izbat an Naj, Blava Campenera, Makedonia Dark, Souadi, LSU Jack Lily, Violet Sepor

Comment

Looks good Mike. Have you given any thought to an irrigation system. That a lot of watering by hand!
                        Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

Oh yes. This year we will keep in greenhouse with heater then when they in ground with no pot we will use pay loader and remove the earth between each row of trees and bury each tree under ground. Below frost line and in large wooden coffin. We dig deep hole and lay chain or straps first. Them box with trees the lid. Then dirt on top with loop of strap or chain out of soil. Then come spring we attach loop to pay loader and pull entire box out of ground at one shot.

Dave
                          We are trying to figure out a good way to water. Because Tis area get full sun all day long to have anything above ground is no good because we have 1000 yards of hose in hot sun all day and will dump boiling hot water into pots. No good so we may have to trench pvc line I believe.

Comment

• COGardener
                            COGardener commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I would trench and do the sprinkler in ground. Just be sure it's not in the way for when you put the figs in ground and you have a way to blow the lines out in fall so they don't freeze and crack.

• jmaler
                            jmaler commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Mike, have you decided how to water your trees? If you worry about hot water in water lines, maybe you could install drip system on a timer set to water something like 4am - 8 or 9am before it get too hot.

Nice job! Planting trees is no small task, especially in quantity. But an investment in the future. Best of luck!
                          Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
                          Wishlist- ,Campaniere, Demos unk

Comment

• Taverna78
                            Taverna78 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Grazie Amico! Funny I just post on you falcon. See posts

Very nice Mike!
                          Phil
                          Zone 7A - Newark, DE; Zone 8A - Wilmington, NC;

Comment

Co, I agree!

Grazie my friends

Comment

Looks good. Might need to setup a trip to Chicago for deep dish pizza and a fig orchard tour. Only problem is all those Blackhawks fans.

Comment

Grazie!
                                You as well as any member are always my guest in my home! And my word next time few of you all together let me known I ship you pizzas for you dinner๐Ÿ˜‰

Comment

Today we mulch around each tree and still more to do... You will see๐Ÿ˜‰
                                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

A lot of work Looks great
                                    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Grazie cugino Will. I believe because most top of soil is clay we mulch entire orchard to hold moisture in. Now that bigger holes for roots in the pots don't need dry soul outside of pot wicking water out of soil in pot

Comment

No matter how much you do, there is always more to do.
                                        Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

โ€œThough the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.โ€ โ€“ Bill Mollison

Comment

Looks good Mike, it's good to see others that never finish like myself. Keep posting, you make me look good!
                                          Last edited by Hershell; 07-28-2015, 05:54 AM.
                                          Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• Taverna78
                                            Taverna78 commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Ciao Hershell,
                                            I look to variety list but no see black Greek fig I get from you.... How I know when is ripe to eat? Is odd because fruit is larger,hard and green and leafs seem to be drying up and falling off only 3 big lead left and new buds start maybe one or two. Is Tis because the fruit is take all the food? Maybe break off fruits to help make new leaf?

Aye! Funny Man! Salutรจ! Grazie! How is you Bee's?

Comment

• Hershell
                                            Hershell commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Wills has the bees.

Ohhhhh I think you have them. You see comment above about black Greek? Look Tis
                                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                          X