X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dottato Nero / Black Kadota

I've been looking through my trees showing them a little love, looking for fig progress. I've found quite a few little figlets. But when I came to my Dottato Nero, aka the Black Kadota, I came across this bad boy! I haven't tasted one of these before, so I'm pretty excited. Anyone taste these? How are they?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180613_100808.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	318335
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180613_100856.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	318334
    Check out FigBid and eBay for the latest Sales!
    Mike, Zone 7, CT
    Wish List: Sangue Dolce and collecting all CDD's.

Looking good! It looks like it'll be a nice large fig.
    Kate - on acreage in a subtropical/warm temperate growing region
    My 2018/19 Summer of Fig Fun:- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Comment

Dottato Nero is similar to Palermo red (Aldo), but not as big and hardly ever splits for me. It has a much tighter eye. I never get breba, though, because mine is in the ground.

Comment

• nunuorig
        nunuorig commented
        Editing a comment
        How does it taste? It looks yummy!

It’s a sugar fig. I think it’s refreshingly sweet and kind of mild. There isn’t a real distinct, unique figgy flavor, but is pretty dependable and certainly productive.

Comment

• eboone
        eboone commented
        Editing a comment
        Bill, our earlier discussion with Art seemed to suggest that what we had may have been Art’s Chiappetta fig thru someone else’s error. Do you think that is the case? I know my Dottato Nero looked just like my Chiappetta. I donated my Dottato Nero to someone excited about getting fresh figs for the first time, who wasn’t worried about what it was

• Bigbill
        Bigbill commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Ed. I did get both my chiappetta and dottato nero from Art a few years ago. However, chiappetta is definitely a weird variety that has some really interesting shaped breba. The main crop looks kind of like a sugar fig as well, but even the flavor/leaf shape, ripening time etc is different from dottato nero. I certainly prefer chiappetta overall but also wonder if it is an EBT variant. I certainly wouldn’t categorize dottato nero as an EBT. It reminds me a lot of Palermo red ( Aldo) without the split. I know Phil Kobal ( the finder of dottato nero- from speaking with him) believed it was unique. I don’t know if it helps. I’ll try to post a pic of the comparison pics tomorrow after I get some sleep.

Looking very good.
      Naeem
      Maryland Ellicott City Zone 7A

Comment

Working...
      X