X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three different names but same figs.

Single top fig (Stella), middle four figs (Vasilika Sika bc), bottom two figs (unk. Staten Island Bomb). SI Bomb is from Sicily and there is one on ebay right now.
    The only difference in color of the insides is due to ripeness. They all look the same and taste the same. They are the size of a tennis ball.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Art
    Western Pa -6a

That's good to know. Thanks for the info.
    Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Calderona, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Izbat an Naj, Blava Campenera, Makedonia Dark, Souadi, LSU Jack Lily, Violet Sepor

Comment

Thanks
      Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

Very useful detective work. And great figs.

This cultivar is also known as Dalmatie, I think, and has splendid finger-like leaves. I'm looking to grow a very densely branched tree or bush since the slender leaf margins should allow sunlight to filter farther down through the canopy into the interior than would the more broad leaves of other cultivars.
        Tony WV 6b
        https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

• mountainfigs
          mountainfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          In my research, all the evidence that I've seen strongly suggests that they are the same fig:
          http://www.planetfig.com/cultivars/fcveng8589.html

• rayrose
          rayrose commented
          Editing a comment
          The link doesn't mention Stella at all and doesn't list it as a synonym. So what evidence
          are you you referring to.

• mountainfigs
          mountainfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          Much of the same evidence that Art refers to, the looks of the leaves and the fruit, but at a distance (as I don't live in Europe). Also, years ago I looked into this but don't recall offhand the other sources. I was satisfied of the strong likelihood of these being the same, synonymous. Stella had to come from somewhere; it certainly didn't come from the Pacific Northwest where it was named. Who has any better idea of where it came from other than Greece and/or Croatia? Furthermore, where is any evidence that would lead one to conclude otherwise? That is, where are any meaningful differences not explained away by local growing conditions? I know of none. That said, it's not as if we are doing DNA tests on these trees. Always willing to learn should any mounting evidence begin to point in another direction.

Very interesting, Art, thanks for sharing! I've been curious about this exact question, and your thread answers it for me. Do your Stella and VS differ at all in productivity, vigor, and ripening time? I'm getting a Stella, but am trying to see if getting a VS too would be worthwhile or not.
        Sarah
        Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• kubota1
          kubota1 commented
          Editing a comment
          They are the same in all aspects. The SI Bomb puts out the same amount of figs but doesn't grow as vigorous. I'm going to keep them all for now.

• Sarahkt
          Sarahkt commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks again, Art.

I've read that at least the leaves between Stella and VS are different even if the fruit turns out similarly, if I recall correctly. However, the consensus from you and others seems to be that VS and Stella fruit are pretty similar if not practically interchangeable. So if you had space/spending constraints, buying one of the two should be enough to satisfy the desire for either.
          ​
          I'm not going to ask if you had to keep just one, which one it would be. I've wanted the Stella longer, and have already committed to getting that one. I'll stick with just one of the two/three for now and not second-guess the decision. A fig that is both tasty AND large is a treasure. Looking forward to fruit from Stella and Longue d'Aout/Nordland in the next couple years.

While reading your previous posts on all three of the above I ment to ask the same question but did not want to stir any controversy lol so thanks for posting this Art! I think you hit bulls eye.

Comment

Oh, do you have leaf pictures too?
          Don - OH Zone 5b/6a Wish list: Zaffiro, Craven's Craving, Izmir/Iznot, Calderona, Campaniere, Moro de Caneva, Nerucciolo d'Elba, Izbat an Naj, Blava Campenera, Makedonia Dark, Souadi, LSU Jack Lily, Violet Sepor

Comment

Thanks for this Art.
            Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
            Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Those look really good art! Keep up the good work.
              Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

TENNIS BALL!!!!!?????? Okay now I want tree! I never seen in real life fig Tis big! In fact I never seen fig that take more that one bite to eat entirety of fruit!
                Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
                2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

• DBJohnson
                  DBJohnson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've had some giant figs from trees on Ocracoke Island. I suspect they were the same cultivar as the "Pound" fig tree I brought back this year. Here's hoping that it does well here and will produce.

Wow!!!
                Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
                2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Flavor?
                  how good are they?
                  Greg Luchak
                  N.W. Arkansas - Zone 6b

Comment

Hi Pete.
                    I had a long Yellow, that was 149grams and a black weeping at 119grams.
                    Vito

Comment

I tend to agree with Tony, Dalmatie is similar if not the same as the other figs. Here is description of Dalmatie from a German site. You can use Google translate (or whatever is your preference) for conversion to English.
                      http://www.feigen.bueschken.com/inde...ten/6-dalmatie
                      John Z5 Wish list:

Comment

I just picked the single Dalmatie fig on the small tree that was gifted to me last Fall. Glad to see this thread. I have a Stella also but no figs this year. Glad I didn't also get the long leaf VS. It wasn't a tennis ball size but the largest fig we've had yet. It was very good but not good as HC or the Sal's EL we had yesterday.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

My VS Belleclare (Dalmatie) is the sweetest fig I have. I mean extremely sweet! Definitely a keeper.
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                          Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

• Charlie
                            Charlie commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yours have the same brown patches on bottom as mine Frank. Sunburn?

Thanks for saving me some money Art.

Comment

A few years ago I bought VS cuttings from Hermann as he claimed there were 2 different VS's and the "other one" was just Stella. Is it possible you have this VS that is Stella? I have Stella as well as the VS I bought from Hermann and they are not the same fig.

Comment

Art, it's real solid info we can use, thanks
                              Shailesh, Pennsylvania, ZONE 6B

Comment

Working...
                              X