X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nero 2015 breba

This is my first fig from this variety. This is the Nero listed by Encanto Farms, received as a cutting in late winter 2014. There is not much info in the F4F forum or fig variety data collection. The plant was slow to get going last year and did not grow as well as most of my others, this year has been grown in a 5g SIP and has grown better. This is the only breba that formed, there are about 10 main crop figs on the tree.

The fig unfortunately split either yesterday or this AM, and became very soft around the eye, made me think it was spoiling so it was picked. The fig was very watery, only mildly sweet, similar in taste and low quality to the few figs (Brown Turkey) that I have purchased at a store locally that were shipped from CA. Waiting on the main crop to see if it is better. A few pics follow.

Anyone else growing this one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	nero breba.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	31891

Name:	nero breba open.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	31892

Name:	Nero breba eye.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	31889
    Attached Files
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Ed, there's a lot of Neros floating around, which one is this? Nero 600, Genovese Nero, Brogiotto Nero...?

As someone who has in dark, desperate times of low fig production (such as three days ago), turned to the clamshells of figs sold in grocery stores, I can tell you that if you must, go for the figs marketed as black figs when they are Black Mission, not Brown Turkey or a mix of the two. The Black Mission figs at TJ's are actually pretty decent, but I saw in the same stack of clamshells they were packaging Brown Turkeys, Black Mission, and possibly Black Jack interchangeably, some with a mix. I picked one that was pure Black Mission, and it was a good choice.
    Sarah
    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

It's a nice looking fig Ed! Don't get discouraged with the taste! Brebas are not supposed to be that great on every cultivar, plus your tree is very young! I bet you the main crop will be way tastier ! Keep us posted and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Yeah, your breba looks a lot more attractive than my first-ever Flanders breba did a few days ago, I can tell you that.
        Sarah

Comment

Don't worry, I'm not discouraged! I know it can improve.

Sarah - here is the link to the F4F varieties page: http://figs4fun.com/Varieties.html It lists POSSIBLE synonyms of Barnisotte, Brogiotto Nero, Ischia Black - that site lists names that are reported but not verified. Last year I asked at that forum but no one else reported growing that listing. I hoped to get Brogiotto Nero this year to compare but my cuttings failed.

Here in PA, we are unable to get decent fresh figs at the market. They are picked way to early, and transportation takes too long. Once, I saw the same box of mushy figs at the store 4 days apart-they looked horrible ( I would not try that batch)
          Last edited by eboone; 07-28-2015, 11:39 AM.
          Ed
          SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Store-bought figs are mostly terrible. I don't know how those Brown Turkeys generate enough sales to be found to have adequate "consumer acceptance." I don't accept them. Tomatoes also have similar problems, being selected for sustainability and not flavor.

Good thing it's fun to grow your own food.
            Sarah

Comment

• brettjm
              brettjm commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree, for the most part. Bought some black missions today from Publix (southeast grocery chain)....they're not great. A few of them are perfect, but most are picked a couple days early, and I'm pretty sure they water them like mad before picking to boost the weight.

That being said, I picked some up from the same Publix a couple weeks ago that were from some other grower, and they were PERFECT. I mean, on the point of spoilage ripe. They were pillow soft, jammy...they were also 4.99 for like...10 figs. Ouch.

• Sarahkt
              Sarahkt commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I agree there are exceptions. There are actually some pretty good Black Missions available at TJ's in the Bay Area now. I had to sort through a few to find one that had only Black Missions and not Brown Turkeys mixed in. The farmers markets also have some good ones, but those are running at $5-8 per green basket (about 5-10 figs). :/
          Working...
          X