X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painful removal question.

I have been growing a Black Greek I get from the Funny Man for few month now. Started off strong and even has 3 large green fig on it. But with the hail damage , fertburn , mites, bugs pretty much has been threw hell... It looks like it may drop one or two of the larger beat up leafs and is trying to push out couple new leaf. But just been a bud now. All growth stopped. As much as it will hurt me to do it should I remove the figs to let energy focus in leaf? Or no matter? Figs about golf ball size. 7 leaf 3 big fig. Only stand about 1 ft tail.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

I'm not an expert Mike but I think those figs are sapping the energy of the plant. For such a small plant that is a lot of resources it is investing in those figs.
    Last year, my first in rooting cuttings, I left a max of one fig on my biggest cuttings, and a couple were decent. I would have taken two of those off when they were little. At this point, maybe the plant has already put much of the energy into those, not that much more to go. I would absolutely not take off all of them, would at least leave one to try for fun. But I am sure that others have differing opinions.
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Personally, I would remove them with the health of the plant being more important to me than the figs. There will always be more next year.
      Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

You both make sense... Being it will be cold here soon I don't know which way to go... Is gonna make more leaf just to fall off with frost frost or is gonna have couple leaf and I think (I never grow Tis Greek before) the fig should be ripe before frost... Tis why painful question.

Comment

Mike, I would leave the figs on the tree.If the tree is being stressed,I believe the plant would have dropped the figs.
          If the plant is pushing new growth,growing happily,why worry.

Here is a picture of my White Marseilles Fig.The plant wants to produce figs and about 12 inches tall.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
          New Bern NC Zone 8a ,Wish list : Col de Dame Rimada ,Galica Negra

Comment

Ah! Ok I will leave alone! Now I jut wonder when they are ripe?

Comment

IMO and from observations, there should only be 2 reasons for keeping the figs (1 -3) on growing well rooted cuttings (they should always be removed from newly rooted cuttings);
              1. They do not interfere (stop or slow) the growing tip and new branch formation and
              2. They can ripen before the dormant period (cold weather).

The first is easy to see, the second can be calculated using the 30-60-90 rule. Since figs grow for ~30 days then remain at the stagnant stage for 60 - 90 days you can calculate if they have a chance or if its more advisable to remove them. I've been able to taste at least one (1) fig on many of my 6 - 8 month old cuttings using this method. Good Luck.
              Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Great! Grazie!

Comment

Working...
                X