X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qalaat al Madiq fig on ebay

What is the skinny on this fig? Anybody growing it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qalaat-al-Ma...item1a03983a9a
    Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

I bought one recently from the seller on eBay but the tree is still small. Searches on forms turned up that it’s a sugar/honey fig tree from the city of Qalaat al Madiq in Syria. People here describe it as extremely sweet and juicy, their sweetest breba, and rated it a 9 out of 10. It will be interesting to compare it to Barada and other sugar/honey flavored figs. I tried a Latarulla/Italian Honey fig last week and it was good, but nowhere near its description of a “super soft cotton ball drenched in honey”. Perhaps QaM will be closer to that description?
    Last edited by Altadena Mara; 07-29-2015, 09:15 AM.
    Mara, Southern California,
    Climate Zone: 1990=9b 2012= 10a 2020=?

Comment

I have one, a decent sized plant given to me at the end of last season, that should have a number of main crop figs in the next 5-6 weeks, I think. Will report back then. I know some others on this forum grow it. It dropped all of the tiny brebas after getting exposed to about 38 degrees overnight in the fig shuffle season.
      Ed
      SW PA zone 6a

Comment

In a few days I will be tasting my first Qalaat al Madiq breba if the mocking birds don't get to it. For some reason there is no main crop forming. I blame it on the cold rainy spring and first half of the summer.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
        Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
        Tony
        Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

• jmaler
          jmaler commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful fig and i love those leaves.

Yeah, I've had a few plants. I'm down to one and it's not going anywhere. It's a good sweet fig. You'd like it.
        Art
        Western Pa -6a

Comment

Picked both breba on the Qalaat al Madiq today. They're sweet with a melon flavor. I would give it a 7.7 out of 10.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
          Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
          Tony
          Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

That's a tree I'd love to grow. If anyone has cuttings or starts of that tree, I'd be very interested.

Comment

I purchased one from JD (Southernfigs) a month ago and I'm looking forward to tasting a few fruits next year.
              Fruit crazed in Vista CA. http://tangentvectors.org

Comment

I love that purple bottom on the inside and out!! Kind of like Cul Noir
                Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

There is a guy local to me and growing figs for many years who swears it is his favorite fig-- And he has Black Madeira, Smith, Col de Dame and all the other top ones.
                  My tree I hope bears this year.

Comment

• Evdurtschi
                    Evdurtschi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Any chance he wants to set an air layer to sell me? What a glowing review. This fig went from a pretty novelty to a new MUST HAVE!!

I had it and enjoyed the figs, for me it was sweet but nothing all that special. After 2 years of all figs splitting or rotting in the wet Fall season I gave up on mine.
                  mine was green, no other skin color
                  Ed
                  SW PA zone 6a

Comment

Here's a few pictures from 2014. I've had good luck with mine and still have it.
                    Attached Files
                    Art
                    Western Pa -6a

Comment

Working...
                    X