X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genovese Nero Not (Maybe) 2015 Main

This three year old tree was moved from a 15 gal pot to in ground April 2015.
    It has been growing pretty well and had a good crop of large figs. After the
    birds devastated all of the fruit until this one that I placed an organza bag
    over it, covered it with a 16 oz plastic cup and placed bird netting over the tree.

This is a good tasting fig regardless of what the real name turns out to be. There has
    been much talk about this particular variety over the past few years. It is the first
    tree I obtained called GN. I now have sourced two others that may produce one or two
    figs this year to compare.This fig has been described in taste in numerous ways.
    My two grandsons just said like a blueberry and gave it a 10 and 9. Its perfectly
    sweet (for me) and the flavor is somewhere between a blueberry and melon.
    Go figure but we did agree on an 8.5 on a 1-10.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4480.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	32259

Name:	IMG_4481.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	32260

Name:	IMG_4483.JPG
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	32261
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Looks like blueberry gel.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

Big cavity Mike. A chipmunk could fit in there. Or a vole.
      Rafael
      Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

That fig looks tasty, and it sure does resemble the few Lsu thibodaux figs my lil tree put out.
        Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Ryan, it does resemble my thibodaux also but this fig is much larger than my
          thibodaux fig
          newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

That's good Mike!
            Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Mike, do you have a leaf pic?
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Scott, here ya go. Little FMV but not to bad.

Name:	IMG_4510.JPG
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	32483

Name:	IMG_4511.JPG
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	32484

newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Thank you! It is truly amazing how much there is to know about figs. How many are simular while others strikingly different.

What will be your deciding factor on if it is or is not GN?
                  Last edited by COGardener; 08-01-2015, 09:06 AM.
                  Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Scott, on this particular variety it will not be me deciding if this is the real GN or not.
                    I know the trail of each of mine and I know who has/had the original. I will have to
                    let those few decide and hopefully I can match one of my three or four varieties that
                    claim to be the real deal.
                    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Time consuming to say the least, but worth it!

Comment

Working...
                      X