X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folly Beach dark unk .

I found the mother tree on February of 2014 ,growing by the side of a house not far from the Tides hotel and very close to the beach. The property was not fenced but looked like a summer home since we saw no activity during our stay so I took one branch on the last day . I cut it in three and they were all a success . The tree that produced the fig also produced eight very late figs that first year as a cutting that did not drop during the winter. I took them off in the spring but later I thought I should have left them be just to see what they would have been. It only produced a couple of figs this season although it was full of embrios that did not develope. This first ever fig was very small but extremely balanced in flavor( sweet to figgy) and very "clean" looking inside. Firm flesh unscaved by the frequent t-storms and extreme heat. A keeper in my book although it takes about twenty figs per seating to satisfy the avrage fig nut! I started to use a quarter for scale on the photo but it looked very unfair next to the little guy! Ha. Maybe size will improve with age , but flavor gets at least 8 out of 10 and I can live with that. It looks like a Celeste (the fig) but I don't see the leafe being that of a Celeste. Your guess is a good as mine! Thanks for reading.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

Please disregard the last photo. I uploaded the wrong one. I tried to edit but I can't . If a moderator can help. Thanks much.

Comment

oh fun for you another beach fig you so lucky .

Comment

Not to self, don't tell ChrisK where you live and when you are going away or your trees might have a little haircut when you get back
        Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

• Chrisk
          Chrisk commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha too late Kevin and you know I always carry my pruning kit with me!

• fitzski
          fitzski commented
          Editing a comment
          Figs are extremely rare up here but I pass this house every day that has two large potted figs as well as large grape vines. If I ever see someone outside when pass I plan on stopping to speak with them.

I don't think Celeste family is out of the question, the leaves and fruit both have the look.
        Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
        Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Not at all Calv, the growing and fruiting pattern is similar to Celeste also. The other confirmed Celeste trees have leaves that are a bit more textured but it's typical with fig leaves to be confusing. This tree looked to be very cold hardy since we were getting single digit temps all winter . I was there for almost three months for work and there was no clear evidence of die back! It is planted on the west side of the house.

Comment

Is there anybody on this forum that does NOT carry their hair cutting tools in their car? It should be placed next to your first aid kit.

Comment

Nice Chris, I too agree the fruit looks like Celeste.
              Rafael
              Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• Chrisk
                Chrisk commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Rafael. I only wish they were a bit bigger than an olive!
            Working...
            X