X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only person bothered by this?

Come on a fig forum ask for ID of a fig, get a couple responses and within hours list the fig on EBAY. I really don’t care who gives you their opinion, and they might be right, but until you grow out that fig side by side with what you think it is, It needs to be noted as a unknown, maybe state what you suspect it is, but you don’t know what it is. I should not let this bother me anymore, but it does.
    Last edited by strudeldog; 07-31-2015, 11:49 PM.
    Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Very frustrating. What if a distributer decides to buy a few hundred rooted cutting of a miss named variety. That fig just ruined it for a lot of people and wasted a lots of people's time and money. DON'T SELL CUTTINGS OF FIGS IF ITS NOT PROVEN!!!!
    Randall - Gulf Breeze, FL. zone 8b. Wish list: Anything that "newnandawg" - Mike, ranks as an 8 out 10 or higher.

Comment

Completely agree. When you're dealing with money, honesty should be #1. It's been proven over and over that karma comes back around.
      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Trust me Frank ,you're not the only one. You're right on the money that when suspecting and not sure of a variety it should be listed as such. However ,money does something to most people and that's when honesty goes bye bye. I have never bought or sold any of my trees or cuttings on eBay but has still been a victim of misidentification. That is due to what Randall said about big nurseries buying mislabeled cuttings in bulk and selling them as something else?Knowingly or not I don't know but it is a big problem for fig enthusiasts for the obvious reasons. If you have any specific examples you should definitely bring it forward ( IMO) . It could save many of us money and time.

Comment

I have no problems with folks selling an unknown. Unknowns are interesting. I don’t even have a problem with the reference to a fig it may be or resembles listed. I have a fig I call “Unknown Marseillies White” One of my first introductions to fresh figs. I have shared it with several folks because until recent it was one of the few tree’s mature enough I had access to that could provide more than a few cuttings, and because it is a very good fig. I hope folks retain the unk on the fig. If I was to go back I probably would not have that label, only list the M.W. part as a note as a likely suspect. I state label because it’s not named and we all need a manner for id. I also have never sold it or any fig for that matter, but that’s not to say I would not and sure don’t have a problem with it. I just have not crossed that point yet.

As far as examples there are plenty. I was just checking recent listings on Ebay and one kind of annoys me presently. Often I believe its not a case of dishonesty, but lack of a full realization of their actions. The origin of my post was not to embarrass or discredit anyone. but more to find if I was alone in my thinking and to make folks pause and think before they are quick to remove the unknown from a label.
          Last edited by strudeldog; 08-01-2015, 10:13 AM.
          Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

Phil, reading stuff like this hurts. This is a reason to be very careful when buying from unknown sources. Unfortunately, people don't have to be shady or greedy to pull crap like this. Sometimes they're just ignorant or don't care.

I bought redfoot tortoises from a known breeder knowing I'd be getting a Northern variety. Later as they grew, I realized that they weren't full Northern.. that they were mixed with a different locale. I asked her about the parentage of my tortoises. The mothers were all known to be Northerns but the father was an unknown. It would have been nice to know.

I'm not a purist, but it would really suck if more and more unknown items were circulated to the point where you can't trust any label and/or description.
            Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

The mislabeled issue is bad enough without more people adding to it. Sadly, it will never stop, it will never go away. Though this behavior is despicable, there is not much that we can do about it other than exercise extreme cation and our own due diligence to verify what we have before passing it on.
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Phil,
                No you're not the only one, but there isn't much that can be done about it.

IMO, One thing that hobbyists can do is to use and popularize the established Naming Convention, as discussed in an earlier topic, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...any-other-name that may help to reduce the confusion that's caused by some Nurseries and Hobbyists.
                Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

To go along with the subject of mislabeling. I had bought two apple trees from Gurney's quite a few years back. One was suppose to be Red Delicious and the the other Yellow Delicious. By the time they were old enough to fruit I discovered that neither were what I thought I purchased. It turned out that they are both the same type of apple which I'm not really sure what type they are. Both have red blushing with green on them, a far cry from what I wanted. And to add insult to injury they were to be dwarf only reaching a maximum height of 8-10 ft. It turns out they had gotten to about 20 feet and have been trimmed several times. When planted I was careful to not bury the union where they were grafted. I still have them and leave the deer eat the majority of the apples, only occasionally pick some for myself for pies.
                  Wishlist; Green Michurinska, St. Rita
                  Tony
                  Sarver, PA Zone 6A.

Comment

Can we have a don't buy from list be made?
                    Last edited by AmericanFigLover; 08-01-2015, 06:35 PM.
                    Proudly Serving in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
                    Everyone should have a green thumb

Comment

• Hershell
                      Hershell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It would start with Ty Ty

• Chrisk
                      Chrisk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You nailed it Hersh. TyTy sucks at best. We drove all the way down there to make sure we got nice trees. Green Ischau fig = LSU Purple( not bad but not what I paid for!
                      Italian white(my wife's pick)= Celeste! ( bad since I have four more that were bought as something else. We did get nice trees but you can imagine the disappointment when you get the ripe fruit in three years time and they are not....... Sucks I tell you!!

• AscPete
                      AscPete commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We already have a 'Positive' lists, http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...s-vendors-list and http://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-ho...g-distributors
                      IMO there is nothing to be gained by creating a negative list of vendors...

Phil most folks, myself included, agree with you. Can't say it bothers me since I don't buy or sell on ebay, but it would surely bother me more if I had some skin in the game.
                    Rafael
                    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• Chrisk
                      Chrisk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Im with you Rafael. I have never bought from EBay. If it was a member I knew from the forum I would ,I just like doing my trades through here that's all. I surf on eBay here and there just for the heck of it and it's hilarious the varieties and photos people come up with in order to sell theirs cuttings.
                  Working...
                  X