X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just some pic's

Preto on the left,followed by Strawberry Verte,Vista and MBVS on the right.
    Despite the Fig Beetle's,Mockingbirds,Possums,Raccoons and who knows
    what other critters are raiding me I'm still pulling a flat every two days.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
    Paul Robert,Simi Valley,Ca. 9b

Forgot this one.Sunday before last they were so thick the ducks had had enough by 10:00.
    Still have 3,gallon freezer bags stashed away full of the buggers.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Zone envy.
      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

• COGardener
        COGardener commented
        Editing a comment
        Seconded

Oh, that's all? That's awesome.

I go through in my head and translate those fig names from Preto, Verte, Vista, and MBVS to Madeira, Ischia, Bordeaux, and Etna - two islands, a region, and a mountain.
      Tony WV 6b
      https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

That is really inspiring, Paul. Not there yet, but getting close. Thanks for bragging, I mean sharing
        Gary USDA 9A
        Sebastopol, CA

Comment

Very nice Paul. Thanks for sharing.
          newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

Nice! I would show them off too.
            Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Outstanding Paul . Thanks for sharing and I think that the beetles ,birds ,coons and every other creature out there shares the sentiment and are ecstatic as we are or more !
              Do your trees get pollinated by the way?

Comment

• tyro
                tyro commented
                Editing a comment
                <Do your trees get pollinated by the way?>The honest answer to that is,I don't know.
                I've got Zidi hanging figs which some people claim needs the wasp but I haven't seen any.

• Chrisk
                Chrisk commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool, thanks Paul. They look delicious regardless.

Gary,you should have seen the orchard floor.I couldn't bear to take a photo of it.We had 1 1/2 inch of rain and anything that had colored
              and was close split.This is So.Ca.,we don't know how to act when it rains in July.After the ants and gnats had their way the skies delivered
              a plague of these guys,
              https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-001
              I have amused myself in years past chasing these guy's around with a tennis racquet and feeling quite pleased with myself when I caught
              one in the "sweet spot"and watched it sail,a marginal strike?They fall and fly away.Sturdy critters.
              Apparently crows and mockingbirds find these creature's delicious.They followed and discovered the figs,which added to my woes.
              The next night the raccoons found me.
              So what to do?Leave the rotting figs in the tree's and on the orchard floor in the hope they are more attractive
              than semi ripe fruit?Sleep on the patio with a quiet .22 rifle w/nightscope?I can do that.
              Fell asleep before they showed up.Buying nets.

Cheer's

Comment

• Fruitaddict
                Fruitaddict commented
                Editing a comment
                Nets are the way to go. I use white nets that I found through Oescoinc.com. They have a tight grid and are much heavier than the cheap stuff you find at big box stores like HD or Lowes.

Thanks for the photos. Now, I know what I have coming. I am especially liking the Vista and the Fico Preto. I have these and they are putting out new growth nicely.
              Jerry, Canyon Lake TX 8b

Comment

• tyro
                tyro commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to hear Jerry,send some photo's when you get a chance.You watched them shrink,
                I'll watch them grow <G>.

Looks great Paul! I wish for the benefits of warmer zone at times but the problems that come with it help me be thankful for what we have. We have been getting a lot of Japanese beetles this year, the green beetles remind me of them; thank the Lord Japanese beetles don't favor figs!
              Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
              Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Holy smokes! Great job Paul. I'm with the zone envy people.
                Art
                Western Pa -6a

Comment

Pretos look great. Didn't you have some Preto breba?
                  Rafael
                  Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Paul, awesome pics of some really nice figs. I share your pain about the critters. I thought I had it the worst but it looks like I have company.
                    Which of the figs was a standout for you?
                    Frank Tallahasee 8B
                    North Florida Figs

Comment

• tyro
                      tyro commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi Frank,

As far as fig damage these last two weeks are the worst I've ever had.Once the rain came and the figs opened up I got
                      a taste of what it must be like in the area's where you expect rain in the summer.
                      As far as standouts,it's always the Preto.Pretty much universal consensus of anyone who's
                      tasted any of my figs.Taste being perceptual you'd expect some divergence in opinion but I'm
                      not seeing it.Strawberry Verte is a very good second.
                      Last edited by tyro; 08-02-2015, 11:46 AM.

Rafael,

<Didn't you have some Preto breba?>Yes,and I still do.<G>The main crop actually ripened before the Breba.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

tyro, I've seen the effects of the wasp further north than you but in the central valley. There are wasps in SF according to one gal I know. Since you have so many rotten figs check the seeds. If they sink they're pollinated and you have the wasp. Try planting some.
                      Bob C. KC, MO Zone 6a. Wanted: Martineca Rimada, Galicia Negra, Fioroni Ruvo, De La Reina - Pons, Tauro, BFF, Sefrawi, Sbayi, Mavra Sika , Fillaciano Bianco, Corynth, Souadi, Acciano Purple, LSU Tiger, LSU Red, Cajun Gold, BB-10 any great tasting fig

Comment

Working...
                      X