X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Queen of Trees: a video on the Sycamore Fig cycle of life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy86ak2fQJM

A tremendous video. Tough to be a fig wasp. And most any other creature around the fig and its mighty tree.
    Tony WV 6b
    https://mountainfigs.net/

I watched that video last week in trying to understand more about the relationship between fig wasps and caprification in general. It was a very good nature documentary, but the nematodes that preyed on the fig wasps creeped me out. Yuck.

I looked a little more carefully at the insides of the figs I have picked since, but I still can't tell if any of them are caprified. Either way, its been a delicious year for figs for here.
    Coastal SoCal/ USDA Zone 10b / Sunset 22 / AHS Heat zone 2

Comment

I begin to wonder what part we play with our fig OCD.....after all, it may just be part of a bigger "Fig plan"

Exceptional video....Thanks for that Tony
      Ross B. Santa Rosa Calif zone 9b, wish list: CdD Blanc, Igo, Palmata, Sucrette, Morroco, Galicia Negra

Comment

Rusty hooks, I often say that people are strange animals and others are offended by it but I wondered myself. Iook how far we carry cuttings and how far I get seed sent to me. It can't be by axident so it must be programmed in our brain just to get to taste a fig. Great video. I almost have it memorized I have watched it so many times. The hornbills are all going to make it eventually so I keep watching.
        Last edited by Hershell; 08-05-2015, 07:36 PM.
        Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• rusty hooks
          rusty hooks commented
          Editing a comment
          We are strange animals indeed Hershell, sometimes I think that wonderment is what sets us apart, after all...it is what takes us down different paths

Like yourself, I am also a beekeeper....I've often wondered about that as well

Maybe we are second to last on food chain. We eat the fig that make us taste better and soon something eat us
        Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
        1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
        2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I could not resist. I watch entire movie. Belle! Wonderful story! Thanks god we no hAve fig wasp in Chicago 😁
          Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
          1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy πŸ‘ΌπŸΌ.
          2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

Working...
          X