X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Col de Dama Blanca/Negra

This is the first ripe fig from this tree. It's a main crop that formed on the trunk. Hopefully I get some dark ones this year so I will know for sure that it's true to form. To those that have this variety can you compare the leaf pattern to yours.
    The fig wasn't bad for a 2nd year old tree. It kind of had a berry flavor. I can't say what berry. Once I get more to ripen I will be able to give a better flavor description.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.
    Art
    Western Pa -6a

That's a good sign when I fig taste good on a young tree. This has been one of the harder ones for me to source out, I'll get it sooner or later. Thanks for the review Art.
    Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Art,

Soon as the rain stops I will go take a leaf picture for you..if it ever stops Had a month now of at least 1/2" per day.
      Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• rayrose
        rayrose commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish you could send me some of that rain. I had 1 inch the entire month of July.

Wow! My figs would all be splitting with that kind of rain.
      Art
      Western Pa -6a

Comment

My plant is younger/smaller than yours, Art, but leaves are the same.
        Gary USDA 9A
        Sebastopol, CA

Comment

• kubota1
          kubota1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Gary

Art

Great post. You are the first to have fruit from this cultivar. Congrats! In the event you enter this into the varieties list, the correct name according to Pons' book is:
        Coll de Dama Blanca-Negra.
        Rafael
        Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• kubota1
          kubota1 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's good to know. I won't add it until I know that it's true to name.

Art,

Here you go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BN1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	32747 Click image for larger version

Name:	BN2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	32748 Click image for larger version

Name:	BN3.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	32749
        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

• kubota1
          kubota1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Wills. Did you get any fruit yet?

• Rewton
          Rewton commented
          Editing a comment
          Wills, yours look a lot like mine. I have a wide array of leaf types on mine from one lobe to three lobe and a few that look similar to the ones Art shows. It looks like you are seeing something similar. Mine is a 2nd year tree with fruit that will hopefully ripen soon but is probably not fully switched over to its mature leaf type yet.

• WillsC
          WillsC commented
          Editing a comment
          Art,

No ripe fruit yet it has figs on it. Is a young plant from cuttings started this last winter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cddbn.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	32760

Seems right to me.
        Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
        Zone 8B

Comment

• kubota1
          kubota1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Rob. Nice looking plant.

Thanks for sharing the photos and info...
        Looking forward to the updated description of the flavor.
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I got one small tree from bass's fig get together.the leaves are starting to look like yours.thanks for sharing photos.

Comment

This is the third fig picked from this variety and another to pick tomorrow. This had no berry taste and was very sweet. It kind of has it's own taste. Fairly rich tasting. Not honey, but kind of similar. It's hard to describe. No signs of any dark figs.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
            Art
            Western Pa -6a

Comment

How many branches does yours have Art?
              Are they producing white figs on all branches?
              Zone 8B

Comment

• kubota1
                kubota1 commented
                Editing a comment
                This tree has grown so good that these are main crop figs that started on the main trunk. There are twelve branches with figs just starting. Do you think that each branch might produce different colors?

• Rob Ster 010
                Rob Ster 010 commented
                Editing a comment
                yes certainly. i've seen a video of Pons his orchard where it was clear to see the black figs are on 1 branch and the green on another. When my cutting was just rooted it pushed 2 buds. Both the leaf shape and color of the leaves were totally different on the branches. I have to check in my archive to see if i can find the pic.

Here it is. I think the bigger branch will be one that produces white figs and the smaller one dark figs.
              Zone 8B

Comment

Thanks for the great info Rob. That's good to know.
                Art
                Western Pa -6a

Comment

Pretty figs and nice looking trees

Comment

Art I am finally getting a decent sized leaf on mine, attached is pic, hope that helps. No thumbs, but maybe too soon for a fully developed leaf pattern.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Rafael
                    Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

• kubota1
                      kubota1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Raf.

I harvested my first Coll de Dama Blanca-Negra today from tree in its 2nd season and grown in a container. Note that mine and Art's came from the same batch of cuttings. Sorry the close-up photos are not very good quality but I was forced to use a camera that has never done well with close-ups. This fig was green with some dark sugar spots around the eye. There is another that should be ripe in 2-3 days off of another branch that is putting on some darker color. The leaves on mine do not look much like Art's but do seem to resemble those on Wills'. Most of the new leaves have 3 major lobes and some have small thumbs to make 5 lobes total. Early on this plant had many single lobed leaves. Note that my CdDN in its 2nd season still has mainly single lobed leaves but one branch is now putting out the more characteristic 5 lobed leaves. I suspect my CdDB-N will start putting out more 5 lobed leaves as it gets older. The shape of the figs on mine are not exactly consistent with the photos of Pons' CdDB-N or of other CdD varieties. The pulp was not particularly dark red either (consistent with Art's). However, the fig was quite tasty - sweeter than average with quite a bit of seed crunch. It didn't have the richness and complexity of some figs though, such as my Adriatic JH, but the tree is young. I'm still reserving judgement as to whether this is true to type or not. We'll just have to compare notes as these plants mature and let the full picture come into view. It would be interesting to get the opinion of Mr. Pons on these photos.
                    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 7 photos.
                    Last edited by Rewton; 08-12-2015, 07:15 PM.
                    Steve
                    D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                    WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• Rewton
                      Rewton commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Rafael, I'm not sure I have a common language with him. Can he read and write in english? If not, if you could post the link to this thread on his FB page (or the photos directly) and ask what he thinks that would be great. One question I would have is what his experiences have been propagating CdDB-N and how they behave when they are young. You might imagine that depending on which branch a cutting is taken from you might get a somewhat different fig but now that I think about it further it probably doesn't work that way. Axier has posted photos of green and dark figs on the same branch.

• Rafaelissimmo
                      Rafaelissimmo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Steve I will check with him. I will say that Pons and other expert growers all agree that this is an utterly fascinating cultivar. The mother tree apparently sprouted between a CdD Blanc and a CdD Noir. It is a variety worth closely studying and observing, in all its iterations. I forgot to mention that both my Rimadas are showing stripes on fruit, so they are both true to type. I will also check with Axier how his fruiting is going this year, his plant should be maturing fruits soon.

• Rob Ster 010
                      Rob Ster 010 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I always write a message in english and have google translate translate it to catalan.
                      Always works fine and he knows exactly what i mean.

Nice looking plants from all. Can't wait to see and hear about the darker figs on this one.
                    Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

I few pictures of my tree to compare. The dark side is yet to be determined.
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.
                      Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• kubota1
                        kubota1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Hershell. Looks exactly like my plant.

Hershell, i asked Montserrat just to be sure. He told me both black and white figs appear mixed on the same branches.
                      I think the branch with all black figs in the video was merely a coincidence.
                      Your leaves look exactly like mine btw.
                      Zone 8B

Comment

• Hershell
                        Hershell commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Rob. I'm sure in time I will see some. This is a young tree.

Here's mine.
                      My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

• kubota1
                        kubota1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks and good luck. Hopefully your first two will be different colors.

• Rewton
                        Rewton commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Harvey, couldn't tell from the photo but do the leaves on yours resemble mine? I'm seeing a lot of variation in leaves but the fruit (at least on the outside) seems consistent for those of us posting here. The fruit on mine looks pretty much identical to what Hershell showed.

• HarveyC
                        HarveyC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'll try to get a better shot tomorrow, was windy when I took this shot. I think some leaves were single-lobed but the tree is a young one.

Here's a photo of a fully-developed leaf taken today.

I tried to upload from my phone earlier but it was too large for the forum even after I cropped it. My phone takes large photos of pretty high quality and I need to figure a way to easily re-size for posting.
                      My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                        Rafaelissimmo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wow, that is one huge leaf!

• HarveyC
                        HarveyC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wills, is there any options in vBulletin to allow it to re-size for a user? One reason I like just posting photos to my Facebook page is that I don't need to go through any extra steps. Since impromptu photos are always taken with my phone, it's a bit cumbersome dealing with extra steps, saving a re-sized photo, finding the director when uploading, etc. Sorry for the whining, but I like it simple.

• rusty hooks
                        rusty hooks commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wills....I belong to another group which had a similar situation and they installed a photo resizing add on which makes it very easy to upload anad post photos which are out of size restrictions...I'll see if I can get the program link...I believe we use V-Bulliten as well....more later....I'm a field worker today

mistake....the other site uses &quot;Simpleportal&quot;...sorry

It was eather pick it today or loose it. That's not the best display that I've saw so I have a lot to work on.
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
                      Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• Rafaelissimmo
                        Rafaelissimmo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        How was it Hershell?

• Hershell
                        Hershell commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It was ok. Nothing extra but it was the first off of this very fast growing 7 month old tree. I would give it a 6 but know it will get better with time.

I see that there is a clear trend toward the "Blanca" and not the "Negra" here!
                      Rafael
                      Zone 10b, Miami, FL

Comment

Wait, mine seems to be producing some dark figs! Shown are three different figs on my CdDB-N. Neither of them are ripe - they probably need at least two more days. The darkest one might be the furthest along but is still quite firm. The other two (I think) are at about the same stage of development. I think the 2nd one will darken quite a bit more while the 3rd one will remain a "blanca" save for some sugar spots. At least that is my prediction. I'll follow up after they are ripe.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.
                        Steve
                        D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                        WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

• Rewton
                          Rewton commented
                          Editing a comment
                          One thing about my tree is that I left town during a very hot weekend about 3 weeks ago and left the watering to a neighbor. All was well except the CdDB-N's leaves were drooping. I watered it immediately but some damage was done and it lost some leaves. It didn't lose the figs but they seem to be ripening at a smaller size than I would have expected.

• Rob Ster 010
                          Rob Ster 010 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's great Steve! The black figs are supposed to be a bit bigger and heavier than the white ones.
                      Working...
                      X