X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you favor light or dark skinned figs?

While I favor dark skinned varieties, Atreano has a honey flavor that adds a nice change to the typical berry flavor and will always have a spot in my collection. But I'd have to vote 'dark', as they are consistently more flavorful than the lighter ones I've tried.
    Light skinned (green, yellow)
    13.79%
    Dark skinned (brown, purple, black)
    44.83%
    I love both equally!
    41.38%
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Dark, definitely. Some lights are OK, and I have a few, but my short list of top favorites are the darks.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Ok, so I've only tasted a few and the light ones are not really to my liking so far, but I have yet to taste CDD Blanc or Adriatic JH. So, my path down the dark side might change. Von
      Von, Northern VA 7a

Comment

Originally posted by twovkay View Post
        Ok, so I've only tasted a few and the light ones are not really to my liking so far, but I have yet to taste CDD Blanc or Adriatic JH. So, my path down the dark side might change. Von
        Those two are definitely on the 'good' list. This being winter (and no ripe figs available), I had forgotten about them.
        SoCal, zone 10.
        www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

i have mixed feelings. there are 3-4 dark ones, but just as many light color skin ones. All do have dark red interior
          Last edited by andreas-patras; 02-17-2015, 01:09 PM.
          andreas-patras Peloponnisos Greece zone 9a

Comment

• FMD
            FMD commented
            Editing a comment
            You took the words out of my mouth, Andreas. Both of our avatars speak to the truth.

• figpig
            figpig commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey yall glad to see yall. A better way to judge a fig is,by whats inside not outside. Dark red is my favorite just like andreas stated. Can judge a book by its cover!! He he

My favorite color figs are the ones that do well in Michigan's cold climate!! So.... black/green/yellow/brown..... yum!
          Christy, Figging Amateur
          Mid-Michigan, USA. USDA Plant Hardiness Zone 5b.

Comment

Haha i agree with Andreas, i love figs with red interior, no matter the color of the skin.
            So i don't discriminate lol.
            Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
            Zone 8B

Comment

I have only tasted a few figs and they have all been dark. Is there a substantial difference in taste based off of skin color?
              Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Originally posted by COGardener View Post
                I have only tasted a few figs and they have all been dark. Is there a substantial difference in taste based off of skin color?
                Not really. They flavors between light and dark skinned figs really have more to do with the flesh. When I think green skinned figs, I mainly refer to Peter's Honey, Atreano, Excel; basically amber colored flesh. These primarily have honey/melon flavors. The dark colored flesh will give you more of a berry flavor and more of a 'bite' in my opinion.
                Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Originally posted by F. Bennett View Post

Not really. They flavors between light and dark skinned figs really have more to do with the flesh. When I think green skinned figs, I mainly refer to Peter's Honey, Atreano, Excel; basically amber colored flesh. These primarily have honey/melon flavors. The dark colored flesh will give you more of a berry flavor and more of a 'bite' in my opinion.
                  Make quite good sense. I am working toward have a good mix of colors, yet I am still heavy on The Dark Side Of The Fig
                  Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

My current favorite is my Green Ischia followed closely by my Hardy Chicago. All of my figs are still young though and no store bought figs compare.
                    Brian
                    Carolina Zone 7b/8a Wanted: Col De Dame

Comment

Like Michael and a few others, I am the anti-Martin, I favor green with a deep red interior. I do like dark figs with a deep red interior as well, eg Preto, Malta Black.
                      Rafael
                      Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

I like all figs, but prefer the green/yellow ones, especially those with honey flavor.
                        Otmani - Dallas, TX - Zone 8a
                        Wish List: Col de Dame Blanche, Brogiotto Bianco, Sicilian White, Panache

Comment

Interesting! I'm curious to see how my tastes will develop as I try more fig cultivares.

Comment

At this point, I'll take either.
                            Faith, family, friends and figs. (Not necessarily in that order).

Comment

Originally posted by FiggieFive_0 View Post
                              At this point, I'll take either.
                              I agree, any fig will do!

Comment

In general, I think dark, usually. But, any color fig can put out some outstanding goodness. A perfectly ripenned honey type fig with soft flesh, soft skin, and thick viscous honey...ooohwee! I would never turn one down. And how can anyone not be romanticized by the green figs with red flesh? For me though, saddly, the honey figs have not consistently ripened like I mentioned above.
                                Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
                                Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

Like the rest of you I think that a perfectly ripe fig is the way to go no matter the color! However I was blown away by two figs last year that I did not expect. The first one was my Celeste that finally matured and produced a ton of awesome sweet figs(although a bit on the small side) . The other one was the Brunswick. When fully ripe it is very hard to beat in my book! Skin and all.

Comment

Dark is my preference with a few green ones thrown in for variety.
                                    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

• kubota1
                                      kubota1 commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I'm right with you.

I prefer the green figs with dark red flesh that have a strong berry component to their flavor. There are dark figs (ex. Ronde de Bordeaux) that have this same dark red flesh that I think are as good as the green/red figs but I haven't found a lot of them yet. I also prefer the looks of the green figs and I do think the critters have a harder time seeing them.

Comment

This is a bit like asking which is your favorite child. I like the differences, so I like any good-tasting fig - - and I am unanimous in that!
                                      Dale

Comment

Don't get me wrong. I'll never turn a fig down.
                                        But if you put a bushel of dark vs light colored figs in front of me, I will take more pleasure in eating the darker ones. As mentioned by others, it's nice to throw in some light ones to change it up. I do love the honey figs very much myself.
                                        Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

I think green figs have to fight an uphill battle; there's that evolutionary response to dark or red fruit being selected on that visual cue which indicates ripeness. Of course having tried very few fresh figs myself, who am I to talk?
                                          Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
                                          Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

Working...
                                          X