X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socorro Black Leaves Re-visited

I have two trees labeled as Socorro Black, both started from cuttings of Jose who discovered/named this selection. We were both sure we didn't make a mix-up but the leaves of my trees last year definitely did not look right. I returned from a vacation on Sunday and spent much of Monday picking figs, taking photos, etc. The leaves are considerably different this year! The trees were started in February 2013 and have been fairly vigorous trees so they definitely weren't juvenile in 2014. Not really sure what to make of it.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

The change in leaf configuration is quite interesting, I was gifted a start of this cultivar I will have to take a harder look at the leaves. I think I will start documenting the leaves and changes, if any, of all of my cultivars.
    Last edited by COGardener; 08-05-2015, 03:48 PM.
    Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

Are the fruits the same in all aspects?
      Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
      Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• HarveyC
        HarveyC commented
        Editing a comment
        Fruits are the same or at least very similar, about as much as any other tree.

I'll post the leaves on my SB tonight. If memory serves they are somewhat intermediate between the two style of leaves in post #1.
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

Harvey, attached is a pic of the "Socorro Black" leaf from the tree I got from you
        two years ago I believe. It should fruit for the first time this summer.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4565.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	33278

newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

At the bottom of this page is where Jose posted photos of Socorro Black in 2009
          http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussi...post-pics-also
          My fig photos <> My fig cuttings (starts late January) <> My Youtube Videos

Comment

My trees leaves look just like the leaves in the photo on the left Harvey.Unfortunately no fruit this year but it did put on about 3 feet of new growth. Maybe next year we will see what this tree can do in the northeast.

Comment

Here are the leaves of my in-ground Socorro Black. They don't look identical to either of those shown in post #1 but probably closer to the first set. The reality that there is a lot of leaf variation in some varieties so I wouldn't worry to much if the fruit looks right. Mine hasn't given a main crop yet after being beat up by the last two winters. It is not a particularly cold-hardy variety I have discovered.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
              Steve
              D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
              WL: Nantes Maroc

Comment

Working...
              X