X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ponte Tresa

Anyone out there know anything about Ponte Tresa Fig?

Use the search function here and on google.

Comment

What do you want to know? Please use the Search feature as Brian mentioned though.
      USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Calderona, Exquisito

Comment

• Niagarafigs
        Niagarafigs commented
        Editing a comment
        sycophant Much?

I think it is a great tasting fig.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4688.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	332184

Name:	IMG_4689.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	332185
      Gary USDA 9A
      Sebastopol, CA

Comment

I will know more in a few weeks when the figs on mine ripen, I bought a small plant last summer and it's set quite a few figs this year.

Comment

I’ve heard if you live on the east coast it’s not really worth growing. It’s late and because of thet mediocure at best here even in a greenhouse.
          I have no experience with it personally though.

Comment

I have to agree with Gary........superb quality Click image for larger version

Name:	pt (5).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	332201
            Brian
            Chackbay LA Zone 9A

Comment

Great to know that it doesn't need the wasp.
              I am a little surprised that it is a late variety. Ponte Tresa-- the location is 45 N, quite a bit North of most of USA and doesnt receive a lot of heat units.

Comment

ramv, the mother tree is growing by Lake Lugano which would give it a bit milder microenvironment than the latitude would imply. I'm still evaluating mine both in-ground and in a container. My experience is limited but in my location (MD zone 7a) I am pretty sure that ripening PT by September should be feasible when you grow it in a container. It is certainly not any later than varieties like Preto/BM, CdD etc and will likely be earlier than those.
                Steve
                D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
                WL: Zaffiro, Black Donov, Izmir Texas Peach, Campaniere, St. Martin

Comment

Here is a photo from today, so you can see how far along my Ponte Tresa figs are. I am in a somewhat cooler part of CA, so they are not as far along as they might be in the Central Valley, or SoCal. This tree is in a 1/2 wine barrel, started from a cutting in early 2016. I also have one in ground that produced the ripe fig last Summer, shown in my previous post. I believe they will start ripening by late August.

Name:	IMG_4955.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	332390
                  Gary USDA 9A
                  Sebastopol, CA

Comment

I’m hoping to find one next year. My mother is Swiss-born, so I am looking for this one and the Norland. Lugano is a gorgeous town. Might need to visit again!
                    N. GA 7B
                    UPDATED! Wish list: Colonel Littman's Black Cross, I-258, Raspberry Latte, CDDMutante, Galicia Negra, any striped figs other than Panache.

Comment

Working...
                    X