X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are These Two Figs The Same?

There has been much written and debated about Nordland and Longe D'Aout
    being the same fig. After growing both varieties out and tasting both, I
    still have not come to a definitive decision. I have posted all the information
    about the two figs that I have, I will let you try and make a decision.

The Nordland is a four year old tree that has been in ground since April 2015 and the
    Lounge D'Aout is a second year tree that has been in ground since May 2015. As you
    can see the leaves are very, very similar and the shape of the fruit is similar. The
    colors are just alike, The taste, AH the taste. Well, my wife and I say they are really
    close but their is a subtle difference. The Lounge D'Aout had just slightly more of
    a berry flavor. The Nordland was more creamy. Neither had a seed crunch.

Having said all of that, I still don't know for sure. They are both very good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4551.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	33228

Name:	IMG_4553.JPG
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	33229

Name:	IMG_4559.JPG
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	33230
    newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Good info, thanks for posting Mike!

Everything I've read seems to indicate if they aren't the same they are similar enough that you don't need both.
    https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
    SE PA
    Zone 6

Comment

Mike,
      Thanks for sharing this info...
      I also have a Cucumber AE that may be similar to those, but wont have any figs to compare until next year.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
      Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

Hi Mike,

I picked my 1st Nordland ever today. I had a couple LDA Breba earlier. My leafs I think look even closer to the same than yours. Taste very similar, but I have not had side by side. They both have that thick texture almost like a meat, Really hard for me to profile the flavor not really berry, honey or figgy for me I can only describe as very rich and different than most any other I have except a mislabeled I have. Think you have tasted it. It's fruit is almost dead on to these 2. Here is my Nordland from this AM. I thought it was from you but checked my records and it is not.
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
        Last edited by strudeldog; 08-05-2015, 10:39 AM.
        Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

Not speaking as a fig expert, because I'm just a newbie, but I'm highly versed
          in roses. Sometimes in roses you can have two plants of the same variety that
          will yield slightly different versions of the same rose. Maybe this happened with LD,
          and someone named Nordland decided that he had a different fig, and started sending
          out cutting/plants under his name. Just looking at Newnandawg's pictures, the figs do
          look similar, but yet different, not only in size but also in shape.
          Ray in Columbia, SC Zone 8

Comment

I don't have Nordland but I'm growing Longue d'Aout and Niagra Black for comparison purposes. They were both rooted this Spring and I have left one fig on each. The leaves and growth habit seem pretty much indistinguishable. They both have a certain amount of light green/yellow splotches on the leaves (fmv?); however, Niagra Black has a somewhat lower level of these. When the fruit ripens I will post it here. If anyone is comparing these two I would be interested to hear what you think.
            Steve
            D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
            WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

• kubota1
              kubota1 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have both and had fruit from both last year. I should have a comparison of each this year. I think they are the same.

Steve, I am growing my two year old Niagara Black in a ten gallon pot.
            I have attached a pic of the leaf. I should have some ripe figs in the
            next few weeks to compare. The leaf is almost identical to the Lounge
            D'Aout leaf but has some differences to the Nordland.

Name:	IMG_4570.JPG
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	33275

newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I am also growing out cuttings of Nordland, LDA, Niagara Black. Leaf shape has been quite consistent between all three varieties, looking forward to the day I too can do some taste testing- not this year, though!
              Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
              Wishlist- ,Campaniere, Demos unk

Comment

Have some young trees of Cucumber and Niagra Black. Leaves look similar. This is a great thread sorting out possible synonyms.
                Tony WV 6b
                https://mountainfigs.net/

Comment

My Nordland form Raintree has almost identical leaves to your LdA. Hopefully I will get some ripe fruit this season to compare.

Comment

Working...
                  X