X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ciao Italiano's where are you from and now?

I see quite a few Italian people up here. I am new to site but I am curious to ask if you're from Italy and where you live now. My father was at a market in Michigan last year and literally bumped into his childhood friend from 65 years ago never seeing him in between. It is funny because this market had a fig that has only been known To grown in the mountains of Calabria Italy. It amazes me that this fruit can bring two cuginos together after all that time and recognize each other as old men. They both grew up in southern Calabria mountain town called Sorbo San Basile and I have many family in Taverna CZ. So now we are in Plainfield Illinois with small fig tree farm but go back to Italia yearly. The figs there grow wild like pine trees here. So where are you from and where are you now?
    Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
    1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
    2) This weeks ebay auctions.

CZ is for Catanzaro? My ancestors were from Leonforte, Sicily and Ancona, Marche. In New York now.
    Rafael
    Zone 7b, Queens, New York

Comment

Hi Taverna, welcome to the forum.

I was born in the US and live in California. My father was born and raised in Pordenone, just north of Venice. I've had the pleasure of visiting Italy a number of times, but unfortunately before I had fig fever.

You say you have a small fig farm in Illinois... can you give us a photo tour some time?
      SoCal, zone 10.
      www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Hi Taverna
        I'm from Fabrizia south of Catanzaro born there now living in Brampton Ontario Canada
        nice to meet another Paisano
        Happy Figging

Comment

Ciao a tutti! My family came from Corfinio, a small village in the mountains of Abruzzo. Everybody has a fig tree there!
          USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

Many Calabrese already! Add one more testa dura to the group...
            Born in Rende Cosenza, Calabria-- grew up in Toronto, educated partly in Padova (near Venice) and currently living in Florida.
            Frank Tallahasee 8B
            North Florida Figs

Comment

I grew up in Miami and my family is from Bari and Rome.

My family and I were just in Bologna in September. Such a shame because so many of the figs that year were kind of watery (although the ones from Puglia were much nicer. Not to mention, only about a euro per kilo or something.)

Here are four different ones I picked up just walking around the city. No clue about which varieties they were, though.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	2178576.png
Views:	9
Size:	807.3 KB
ID:	4046

Deceptively bland. Gorgeous to look at but very little sweetness.

Also, if you're in Italy right now, please be safe.
              Last edited by Levar; 02-25-2015, 07:14 PM.

Comment

I was born and raised in the eastside Cleveland area,but my father,mother, and rest of family came from Busso near Campobasso.

Comment

I am third Generation born in the US, in Colorado Springs for me, my Great Grandfather immigrated to N.Y.C. from Sicily. I which I knew I knew more, there really are no records and the few people that knew are no longer with us. I know I still have family in Sicily, Rome and Naples yet I have meet nor talked to any of them, no one here seems to know how or who to reach in Italy any more. Seems as though the we may all be lost to each other.

This is a great thread and it is great to see that so many people are able maintain there family ties.

Scott
                  Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

My folks were from San Pietro Avellana, near Castel di Sangro. It is now just on the Molise side, but when they came over, it was Abruzzi. Very distinctive accent/dialect. Many landed between Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania and Youngstown, Ohio. Many of the men got jobs with the railroad, so when relative came over, that's where they were employed, and so the diaspora followed the rail line.
                    Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Rafaelissimmo View Post
                      CZ is for Catanzaro? My ancestors were from Leonforte, Sicily and Ancona, Marche. In New York now.
                      Correct CZ is Catanzaro

Comment

Originally posted by Gina View Post
                        Hi Taverna, welcome to the forum.

I was born in the US and live in California. My father was born and raised in Pordenone, just north of Venice. I've had the pleasure of visiting Italy a number of times, but unfortunately before I had fig fever.

You say you have a small fig farm in Illinois... can you give us a photo tour some time?
                        Ah! Yes as soon as we unbury the trees from under the dirt I will love to

Comment

Originally posted by luzzu View Post
                          Hi Taverna
                          I'm from Fabrizia south of Catanzaro born there now living in Brampton Ontario Canada
                          nice to meet another Paisano
                          Happy Figging
                          Ciao Iuzzu

Piacere di fare la sua conoscenza speriamo può parlare fig volte

Comment

Originally posted by joann1536 View Post
                            Ciao a tutti! My family came from Corfinio, a small village in the mountains of Abruzzo. Everybody has a fig tree there!

Belle! Si fica tree everywhere like the weeds here haha!

Comment

• joann1536
                              joann1536 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Sí, é vero, Taverna!

Originally posted by FMD View Post
                            Many Calabrese already! Add one more testa dura to the group...
                            Born in Rende Cosenza, Calabria-- grew up in Toronto, educated partly in Padova (near Venice) and currently living in Florida.
                            Frank I wish I was in Florida. Chicago is too cold!!

Comment

Originally posted by Levar View Post
                              I grew up in Miami and my family is from Bari and Rome.

My family and I were just in Bologna in September. Such a shame because so many of the figs that year were kind of watery (although the ones from Puglia were much nicer. Not to mention, only about a euro per kilo or something.)

Here are four different ones I picked up just walking around the city. No clue about which varieties they were, though.
                              [ATTACH]n4046[/ATTACH]

Deceptively bland. Gorgeous to look at but very little sweetness.

Also, if you're in Italy right now, please be safe.
                              I believe the figs in Italy do not taste the same as they do here because we care for them and plant them in good soil in Italy they grow like weeds and most of the time it is Clay or sand clay stone. Black dirt is not too much South. Even citrus trees lemon is very dry. Huge and belle but maybe 3 drop juice per lemon

Comment

Originally posted by COGardener View Post
                                I am third Generation born in the US, in Colorado Springs for me, my Great Grandfather immigrated to N.Y.C. from Sicily. I which I knew I knew more, there really are no records and the few people that knew are no longer with us. I know I still have family in Sicily, Rome and Naples yet I have meet nor talked to any of them, no one here seems to know how or who to reach in Italy any more. Seems as though the we may all be lost to each other.

This is a great thread and it is great to see that so many people are able maintain there family ties.

Scott

Search your cuginos you never know... Maybe you will stay close forever

Comment

Comment

My great grandparents came from Rogliano,CS in 1905.Came to West PA and Taylor,WA{Seattle]. Back to PA. That's where I'm at. Nice pic Taverna. Jim

Comment

Belle! Grazie! I will show pictures of our figs in Italy and our mountain full of fig next

Comment

Comment

I am 6"5 and have big hand. These leaf maybe 10/12 inch. I don't know if I post correctly. But I am alone in picture by Figs and my cuginos walk upstairs with big fig tree behind

Comment

Comment

Last picture is how they make farm on mountain side. Plantation. Built with rock and clay

Comment

I hope you enjoy. I have many pictures from Taverna and Sorbo San Basile. Grazie for talking with me. It is nice to know great people! I can make more picture from my Reggio if you want to see. But now I must go to sleep for work. So to my Italian fig friends Buon a notte!

Comment

Working...
                                                X